Search for content in message boards

Adding Same Person Twice to Trees

Adding Same Person Twice to Trees

Posted: 10 May 2013 2:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just recently renewed my membership and now it seems there's some type of bug where the same person gets added more than once to the trees. I find a record and instead of adding it to the information I already have on a person, it adds that person again. As an example, If I find a record for Tom Smith and add him as the spouse of Tina Sample, then I find another record for Tom Smith, I get Tina Sample with a Tom Smith on either side of her. Then their kids get given to just one of the Tom Smiths, or I end up with duplicate children. This wasn't happening before. What's changed? How do I stop this from happening. Right now I'm going to have to take time and sort through all my relatives and get rid of the duplicates. ***Also, if there was an error in spelling on a document, I also get a duplicate person - such as Dom Smith instead of Tom Smith. This is a feature I wish could be fixed. Any suggestions???

Re: Adding Same Person Twice to Trees

Posted: 10 May 2013 12:53PM GMT
Where are you seeing these duplicate people? Are there 2 people of the same name in the list of all people? Or, are you looking at the Family View Display?

When you add these records, are you being certain to use add to someone in my tree, rather than allowing the record to create a new person?

And, if you do truly have duplicates of the same person in your tree, there is now a "merge duplicates" option, making it much simpler to eliminate any duplicates accidentally created.

Posted: 10 May 2013 2:17PM GMT
This isn't a new bug and not really a bug.

When linking a record, the system might not recognize all the individuals in a household, it all depends on the indexing of the name and the relationship, but that's hit or miss. There are several ways you can check for existing family members on the review form and match them to the record you wish to link.

If you're using the beta review form, there can be additional issues.

The best you can do is work with a number of tabs open, and check existing data before you link more.

Posted: 11 May 2013 2:05AM GMT
One example, On my tree, I have 3 of my one grandma. I have her connected to her brother, my grandfather and her second husband - all lined up in a row. She's on there 3 times in the same row. I'm not sure how to merge her into one. I keep deleting when they show up as duplicates but then later they pop up again. I didn't have this trouble before.

Posted: 11 May 2013 2:06AM GMT
Thank you. I'll try that.

Posted: 11 May 2013 3:29PM GMT
"I'm not sure how to merge her into one."

The member tree program has a merge duplicate function (see below).

Before merging, check for 3X grammy in the "List of All People" view. Do this in another browser tab.

In this view, you can confirm how many profiles you have for each individual, you should only have one profile per person.

To merge duplicate (or more) profiles of the same person, go to one of the profile pages of the person. On the profile page, pull down the *More Options" menu and select "Merge with Duplicate".

Most users find working with several tabs open to their tree makes the process less confusing and easier. You always need to refresh the other tab pages when a change is made on another tab page. This insures the changes will be reflected.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic