Search for content in message boards

Chief Black Fox

Chief Black Fox

Sandy King (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2002 1:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I'm interested in finding some info on Chief Black Fox, Principal Chief of the Cherokee tribe from 1802 until 1811. It seems he had a son also named Black Fox and I would also be interested in any info on him.

Thanks,

Sandy King

Re: Chief Black Fox

Posted: 27 May 2002 2:51PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2004 4:23PM GMT
The name of "Black Fox" was a translated version of the Cherokee name of "E'nola". You may find information of him under either of the two names.

The town of Inola, OK was named for the Black Fox family. They had settled nearby after the Removal.

jc

Posted: 28 May 2002 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Fox/Grass
Hi Sandy

I too have been researching the Cherokee and looking for my grgrandmother. It seems I am on the right track...Most of the information comes from this URL
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/n/Donald-N-Pa...
as well as Jim Hicks Cherokee Lineage
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/i/c/James-R-Hic...
I found the most here...it sure takes alot of reading but very facinating...

Re: Chief Blackfox

Posted: 28 May 2002 8:40PM GMT
Sorry -- I should have noted in my previous message that on the rolls, the family is listed as "Blackfox" (one word), rather than Black Fox.

jc

Sandy King (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2002 9:24PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for response. Don't you think that it is still the same family? I was told today that Chief Black Fox's son, Black Fox, went west.

Sandy

Sandy King (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2002 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Humber, Hammon, Allman
Hi Sheri,

Thanks for the web addresses. I've seen Dr. Yates site and I've e-mailed him to see if he knows anything about Chief Black Fox's son. Dr. Yates said that all he knows is that he went west. The reason I'm interested is because in my family we have been told that my 3rd great grandmother was Indian and that her father was called "Black Fox" I found out from some info Dr. Yates posted on Ancestry that Chief Black Fox died in Blount Co. AL in 1811 and that is where my people are from. I thought that Chief Black Fox's son was a more likely father for my 3rd great grandmother. But now I don't know. I'll check out the other site and see if I can find anything new.

Thanks,

Sandy

Posted: 28 May 2002 9:35PM GMT
Should be the same family-- The town of Inola is in the old Cherokee Nation of Indian Territory, located about 15 miles east of Tulsa (in Rogers County- which is where I live). The roll that I referred to as showing the family as "Blackfox" is the Cherokee Nation's 1902 Dawes Land Allotment roll of Indian Territory.

jc

Posted: 29 May 2002 7:40PM GMT
Thanks, Jerri

I guess I need to see if I can find out when Black Fox went west and if he left a daughter named Susan in AL.

Sandy

James Sharp (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 5:48AM GMT
I have found out im related to blackfox any info will help you said there is a 3rd daughter the only name i have is fairabee looney who married william patrick vaughn turns out they ran off togather and had children 1 name is fereby who married a benton if this is her it explains why i can,t find her my be he dident leave her before going west cause she was gone alredy please reply
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 11:47AM GMT
Edited: 16 Sep 2006 1:38AM GMT
James-
About three years ago I helped to research this "Fariby Looney Vaughn" person and at that time there was NO claim of a relationship to the Black Fox family. The descendants that we did the research for seemed desperate to trying to make her into "an Indian"-- actually claiming that her name: "Fariby" in Cherokee meant "Fair-as-a-bee", which is one of the most ridicules statements that I have ever heard!

Feriby Looney was the daughter of John Looney, and a grand daughter of Jesse Benton who was a Rev soldier who took up land in N/E TN (I believe in Hawkins or White County). She married Vaughn, had children, and after she was a widow, came with her children to N/W Arkansas (Madison Co ??). If I remember correctly, I think that I found her on the 1850 US census in AR, which was shortly before her death. We found no relationship between this person and any Indian tribe- and certainly not to the Cherokees!

I hope this information will shorten your search-- and good luck!

Chinossa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic