MESSINA,SICILY

MESSINA,SICILY

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 3:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 26 Sep 2011 3:35AM GMT

Re: MESSINA,SICILY

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 9:46PM GMT
In looking for the Joseph Rosa Family, the name is not Rosa it is Razzaor Razzia, it was changed at Ellis Island when the Antonio Rosa(Razza-Razzia) came over. he was born September 20,1861, Messina, Sicily, Italy, died April 15, 1900,USA,he married Natalina Di Grazia, she was born December 25, 1868 in Messina , Sicily, Italy died in the February 26, 1947 USA, this is the paternal side of JOSEPH SYLVESTER ROSA, his father was CARMELO HERBERT ROSA, WHICH BOTH SHOULD HAVE BEEN (RAZZA_ or RAZZIA) was the orginal name in SICILY, the CARMELO HERBERT ROSA was born November 19, 1894, South Boston, Mass. died, February 19, 1967 buried at ST. MICHAEL'S BOSTON, MASS. USA, married LENA MARIE CONTARINO, her date of birth was, July 18, 1897, Messina, Sicily, Italy, died April 1, 1942 ,buried at ST.MICHAEL'S , BOSTON, MASS, USA her parents were GUISEPPE CONTARINO, BORN 1862 MESSINA, SICILY, ITALY, DIED 1956 USA MARRIED FRANCESCA RUSSO, MESSINA, SICILY, BORN ALSO 1862, NO DATE OF DEATH. CARMELO WAS BAPTIZED LUGLIO, 26, 1895 BOSTON, MASS. USA. These records are complete, and valid. I have other data of the family history, but will have look for it. I hope this helps out. Johnnie Ruth Rosa

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 12:38PM GMT
Names were NOT changed at Ellis Island!!!! This is simply a sad old tale!

Ship manifests were prepared at the Port of Departure by steamship agents. Name changes occured after the immigrants settled in the US to adapt to a more "American sounding" name.

In fact it was ILLEGAL to tamper with names on ship manifest by immigration officials.

Here is one of numerous links about this name change myth

http://genealogy.about.com/od/ellis_island/a/name_change.htm

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 2:11PM GMT
Dear Sir,
I have no reason to doubt your explantion, but in all due respect when a relative of age in a Siclian family tells you the name was changed, then I will certainly have to believe a relative. I have been doing genealogy since I was 16 in grave yards, I AM NOW 58, I have researched my father's side, my mother's side, and these are my husband's people that go back to MESSINA, my husband went there on a tour of duty, he did not desire to look up the family, but his sister is looking for their roots, people in Messina, the first generation came in at ELLIS Island, and the comment of both father and uncle were they never forgave the Eliis Island entry of changing their name, it was RAZZA or RAZZIA, but I have written to the Jewish Gen, for Razza is Jewish by it roots, and my husband when in Jerusalem was constantly asked was he a Jew and our son is always been told he is Jewish. So there were name changes, some for the reason I just stated, JEWS were not well liked in AMERICA, even so they were CATHOLIC by faith, but I do believe once the true ROOT is found, will find the line will be Jewish, which I am waiting to find a ROSA IN MESSINA, so it is not just a story, these are facts.

Thank you for replying.

Johnnie Ruth Rosa

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 9:06PM GMT
Hi Johnnie,

You sound like you've done a lot of ancestry searching!! I'm a novice and wondered whether you could help me with my query. My ancestry is also from Messina, Italy (I've dated this back to around 1850 - 1880 so far)and I wondered whether you had any tips on how to gain further information on this? I have no idea where to look / who to speak to or where to go. So far I've found nothing on the Ancestry site.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 11:11PM GMT
Dear Stuart,
Family, elderly is where I always begin, their stories of the family usually holds true to the tree. Military records, birth records, marriage records, death cetificates, in America first, then you will have to get a genealogist in Messina, which they are not that expensive, ships manifest,if they came in at Ellis Island, which most of the Sicilians did from Messina, Sicily. The ships hold a fortune in record keeping of those who came here. So start at the root of your tree and bulid upward. I will give you the genealogist name in Sicily, So, you really can find a needle in a haystack, you must dig deep.
Johnnie, Happy Hunting.

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 11:29PM GMT
Hi johnnie,

Thanks for your guidance in regards to this - much appreciated! Trying to find marriage/birth records pre 1900 is definitely proving elusive! If you have details of a genealogist in Messina that would be incredible.

Thanks again for your help.

Stuart

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 10:21PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2013 10:22PM GMT
wondering if you are still on ancestry, if yes let me know, my ancestors are from the city of Messina in the Province of Messina, it took me forever to find this out, but it did narrow it down. I sent off for my great grands death certificates in Boston, ma, which is where all of my grands settled, I sent off for them in hopes that maybe their parents, my gggrands names might be on them and they are, I could not believe my luck. If you have not had any luck, you might want to try this too.also there are blogs that you can join, the people have been very helpful to me, one lady that does this for a living found my grandmothers birth certificate (she was born in sicily) and translated it into English for me.
Jayne Rosa Johansen

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 2:15AM GMT
Nice to hear Jayne! More and more records are being added to the familysearch site. I am pretty sure that Messina records are available online. Certainly good news!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic