Search for content in message boards

Dutch Guiana...trail ends?

Dutch Guiana...trail ends?

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 4:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Aug 2013 4:02AM GMT
Surnames: geitel, quietal, quietel
Hi All,
I've recently started (trying to) building our family tree. I have always been fascinated with my Grandpa from South America. Mack William McCulloh (known as Sonny)passed in 2006, he was born December 28, 1930 Dutch Guiana.

My Great Grandfather (Samuel Humbert McCulloh) was from White Plain, Illinois....somehow he ended up in Dutch Guiana after a stent in Los Angeles, CA.

At some point he was in Paramaribo and came back to States in 1931 and then returned to Dutch Guiana. (We are unsure of how long he lived there.)

What I do know is that he was either a coffee plantation owner or administrator. We have awesome photo's of my grandfather as a child holding alligators, photo's of typhoon damage to their town and then pictures of a beautiful home- that might have been their residence.

He fell in love with a young women 18 years younger than him... she was Arawak Indian- Theodora Antoinette Soemitra Queitel. We are unsure of the spelling of her last name. She was born abt 1905.

They returned to the States (entire family) in June 29, 1937.

I would love to fill in the gaps- what was her last name, what were her parents names? My Grandpa always told us his mother was an Indian Princess and was disowned for marrying a white man. (I am not sure if she was a princess.)

Curious how a boy from Illinois ended up in Surinam?

When he came back to the states by 1940- he was a cement finisher with Works Progress Administration building city sidewalks?

Any direction is appreciated.

Re: Dutch Guiana...trail ends?

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 3:46AM GMT
Look for your great grandfather in the 1940 US census with his family. Then find the death certificate for him and his wife. It should show their parents' names.
Good luck!

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 3:25AM GMT
Great tip, I checked into and cannot find her death certificate online- I have to order one.... for some reason in 1974 they don't seem to have online yet for MO (at least on ancestry.com)???

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 6:11AM GMT
Privacy concerns keep the death records for as recent as 1974 from being open to ancestry, I think. You would have better luck finding the death cert. of a sibling who died quite a bit earlier, and seeing what that says for the sibling's parents names at birth. Or just go for the death cert of the parents of the one who died in MO in 1974. Or just pay the fee, as a family member, you can order it. Be sure to order the one that is NOT certified. Much cheaper.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions