Search for content in message boards

Recording an adoption in Ancestry

Recording an adoption in Ancestry

Posted: 10 May 2013 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 May 2013 6:44AM GMT
Surnames: Bailey Dunne
I am very new to ancestry and would appreciate advice when inputting data into the tree. I have a grandfather born with the surname of Harry Dunne, who was born in 1884, in 1886 his father passed away at the age of 26, my grandfathers mother remarried 2 years later. In the 1891 census her new Husband is shown as the head of the house Arthur Harry Bailey, along with my Grandfather Harry Bailey. It is my understanding that there were no official adoption procedures in those days but obviously my grandfather took on the Bailey surname from then on. For tree purposes do I record him as Harry Dunne, Harry Bailey or Harry Dunne Bailey? It has imitations with the hints that show up. Advice would be most welcome.

Re: Recording an adoption in Ancestry

Posted: 10 May 2013 2:31PM GMT
Welcome to the search!

If you click on "Learning Center" (above on this page), and put "adoption" in the search box, a number of helpful answers are listed about how to enter alternate names, etc.

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:29PM GMT
Hmmm...I followed your instructions. 4 articles were returned, none of which list how to enter alternate names on the ACOM member trees.

The article titles were:

1. Time to Take Note: The 1752 Calendar Change - Article on Julian/Gregorian calendars

2. 25 Alternative Sources for Death Records - self explanatory

3. 25 Pre-Civil Registration Death Sources - Self explanatory

4. Inside Scoop: Why Were They So Nosy? - Article on the various U. s. Census questions throughout history.

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:39PM GMT

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:43PM GMT
Thank you very much! I'm curious to how you did it.

Your articles are great info.

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:51PM GMT
See attached screenshot
Attachments:

Posted: 22 May 2013 8:37AM GMT
Thank you for your advice :0)

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:58PM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2013 1:59PM GMT
Since you are new to ancestry, I might point out a couple of things.

First, there WERE official adoption procedures in "those days" if you are talking about the US. You might find some valuable family information by looking for the adoption proceedings in the appropriate court of jurisdiction.

That fact notwithstanding, before birth certificates became our "modus operandi" in the US - generally after 1900 to 1920ish, depending on the state, people very well could change names and call themselves whatever they wanted in records that we might find for them.

When the name in a branch of, say Smith changes to Smythe in a line, I try to pinpoint the adult who first used the new spelling / name; which in that case is your grandfather. I will then use that name as my primary name for him or her. I have encountered this situation in numerous parts of my Hallock surname study, where various branches changed their spelling to Hallack or Halleck.

The more important question is who have you have designated as his PREFERRED parent, and whether you record the adoption at all. The PREFERRED parent is important when you import this file into Family Treemaker because if you designate the non-blood parent as a PREFERRED parent, it can effect who is include in ancestral reports and export datasets (a filter for exports is whether to include preferred parents or all parents.)

In your situation, I would go a step further and not record your grandfather Harry Bailey, as a child of Arthur Harry Bailey. This is because that action will cause your grandfather and all of his descendants to appear as descendants in descendant charts and reports of Arthur Harry Bailey, when there is no blood tie. I prefer to show only blood ties in my reports and in my file, but some people like to show both - which FTM will accomodate. You should at least consider the consequences of that decision before you make it.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic