Search for content in message boards

Leitch/Leech/Leetch Templepatrick, Antrim

Leitch/Leech/Leetch Templepatrick, Antrim

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 11:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leitch/Leech/Leetch
I am interested in identifying the birth details for James Leitch/Leech/Leetch, I have had no joy in locating his birth records.....his marriage details are as follows:
Married 8th Oct 1859 by BY LICENCE REV T M MORROW.
James Leitch - Rickamore Templepatrick, Bachelor, Servant, age ?? (under age). Presbyterian Church - Muckamore Presbyterian. Grange of Muckamore. Antrim
Father James Leitch - Labourer
Witness Margaret Reid

Any help on James or other family members would be appreciated.

Steve

Re: Leitch/Leech/Leetch Templepatrick, Antrim

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 7:40PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2011 7:42PM GMT
The birth is before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland so you won’t find a birth certificate. You might find a baptism.

It was traditional to marry in the wife’s church, so possibly Muckamore P church was not James own church. Living in Rickamore, if he was Presbyterian, he may well have attended one of the 3 Presbyterian churches around Templepatrick, or even T’patrick Non Subscribing P church. If so, you might find his baptism, in those churches records at PRONI. If Muckamore P was his church you’ll be out of luck as their baptismal records only start in 1861.

www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_...

If you are looking for James' home it is property 16B in Rickamore, which you can see on the Griffiths map. Nowadays in the middle of a field north of the 7 mile straight as it goes through Rickamore.

This seems to be the only Leitch in Rickamore by the 1901 census:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Templepatri...

Posted: 30 Jun 2012 6:35AM GMT
I have a James Leetch born in Ireland between 1785-1791. He and brother William were in North Carolina by 1810. James married Amelia Sophia Kennedy in Mecklenburg Co., N.C. William was born March 22, 1755 in Ireland and married Naomi Knox abt 1795 in Mecklenburg Co NC.

William later relocated to Alabama and James ended up in Maury Co Tenn after a couple of moves. No one has been successful in determining who their parents were.

Thanks. Ann Hill, Dallas, Tx

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 1:34PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2012 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: Leitch, Cuthbert
I'm not sure if there is any connection, but I have a Margaret Leitch born about 1814, who married Hugh Land Cuthbert in Antrim in 1835. Margaret's father was Robert Leitch, a linen weaver.

Hugh Land Cuthbert was born in Ballymena, Antrim in 1815. I haven't found Margaret's birth record, but it seems likely that she was also born somewhere in Antrim.

The date of their wedding in Antrim is from one of their children's birth records. I have not found the marriage record itself. Their first child was baptised in Ballymena at the Church of Ireland in 1836.

Hope you find this helpful.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Wightman
Hi Steve. I have been trying to contact you re William Wightman and Sarah Simpson. I am the granddaughter of their son David Wightman.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 5:14AM GMT
Hi

You can contact me on stevejdb@yahoo.co.uk
I have had a good break from this site and researching into my family history but will help if i can

Thanks
Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic