Search for content in message boards

CHEEK

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 May 2004 4:53PM GMT
Seeking ancestral, descendant and any additions or corrections on this CHEEK family:

JOHN RANDOLPH CHEEK, born about 1818 in Ala., married c1839 about Walker Co., Ala, to Belinda Milstead Key, the dau. of William W. & Cynthia Ascenith Abbott Key, who was born 3 Apr 1822 in Ala. Members of the Key, Cheek & Snow families moved from Ala through Mississippi to Texas by about 1848. John R. & Belinda M. Key Cheek resided in Cherokee Co., Texas, outside of Rusk and their land abutted that of brother-in-law William Riley Snow. John R. Cheek was a farmer as indicated on the 1850 and 1860 Census of Cherokee County, Texas. Land records indicate they had moved to Tyler Co., Texas by 1861 where their sons enlisted in the Confederate States of America. By 1870, the family was residing in Leon Co., Texas and later moved about the Milam and Burleson Co., areas of Texas. Many lived in Somervell Co by 1880. Belinda Milstead Key Cheek died 27 Jan 1888 in Somervell Co., Texas and is buried in Rock Creek Cemetery, Row 16. John Randolph and Belinda M. Key Cheek had the following 10 children:

1) William Washington Cheek was born about 1839 in Alabama. He is listed as a farmer in his parent's household on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. He served in the Texas CSA Spaight's 11th Battalion Volunteer's Company C & D under Capt. Thomas Leonard. William W. Cheek enlisted at Jefferson County, Texas, in May 1862. Sabine Pass and Smith's Bluff is listed as his place of enlistment. He married on 16 Jun 1873 in Burleson County, Texas to Mary Ann Patterson. The 1880 Census of Somervell County, Texas shows that he had no children at that time. His household included his widowed mother Belinda Cheek, as well as his baby brother John Robert Cheek and orphaned nephew John Roach.

2) Elizabeth "Eliza" Cheek was born 3 May 1840 in Alabama and is listed with her parents on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. She married 4 Jul 1861 in Tyler Co., Texas to Joseph. L. Spinks. Joseph Spinks served in the Texas CSA Spaight's 11th Battalion Volunteer's Company D under Capt. Thomas Leonard with his brother-in-laws William W. and Jiles Newton Cheek. They are listed on the 1870 census of Leon Co., Texas and the 1900 and 1910 Mills Co., Texas census. Their children included Sarah T., Malindy, John, William and Joesph M. Spinks. Eliza Cheek Spinks died on 7 Oct 1905 and is buried in Oakview Cemetary in Mills Co., Texas.

3) Jasper "Freeman" Cheek was born 25 Feb 1842 in Alabama. He is listed as a farmer in his parent's household on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. He moved with his family to Tyler Co., Texas where he married Dicie Ann Justice on 29 Sep 1863. He enlisted with his brother "Newton" and served in Texas CSA Spaight's 11th Battalion Volunteer's Company G under Capt. Thomas Leonard. His family is included on the 1870 Census of Leon Co., Texas. Dicie Ann Justice Cheek died and he next married Ann Hazard, daughter of Joseph & Susan Cornelai Hazard, on May 21, 1871 in Burleson Co., Texas. She, believed to have been the mother of Dora Belle Cheek, died and was buried in the same Milam Co., Texas, cemetery (outside of Austin) as his younger sister Ascenith Cheek Dawson between Rockdale and Thorndale, Texas. He is next listed on the 1880 Census of Bowie Co., Texas, as a farmer with a wife "Lou" (Louisa May Justice) and children Samantha J., William N., Dora B., and Addie. His oldest daughter Belinda Rutha Cheek, who had married 8 Sept 1879 Red River Co., Tx, and her husband Bluford W. Gatewood are also residing in the household. Jasper Freeman Cheek moved his family to Louisiana where he lived as William Riley Lambert by 1884, supposedly due to a Texas gun fight that he had won. He had a very large family in Louisiana.

4) Jiles "Newton" Cheek was born about 1845 in Alabama. He is listed in his parent's household on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas and enlisted along with his older brother "Freeman" in the Texas CSA Spaight's 11th Battalion Volunteer's Company G under Capt. Thomas Leonard but was transferred 1 Aug 1864 to Company D in Beaumont, Texas. He married Martha "Mat" J. Matthews, dau. of Jesse and Marciella Matthews, and is listed next door to his brother W.W. Cheek on the 1880 Census of Somervell Co., Texas as a farmer with a daughter Mary Ellen Cheek and a son John M. Cheek. The 1890 Census of Mills Co., Texas lists daughters Minnie A. and Malinda J. Cheek. He owned land in Milam Co., Texas. He reportedly had lost a leg in the war and drowned in a 1900 Coleman Co., Texas flood along with his wife.

5) Amanda "Mandy" Cheek was born about 1847 in Mississippi. She is listed in her parent's household on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. She married on 12 Jun 1869 in Burleson Co., Texas to John Roach (Royack) and they are listed on the 1870 Census of Burleson Co., Texas. They had a son John William Roach born 27 Aug 1871. She was deceased before the 1880 Census and likely by 1873 in childbirth. John Roach (Royack) was deceased before 1880 as their son John William Roach was orphaned and living with his Uncle William "Bill" Cheek, as shown on the 1880 Census of Somervell Co., Texas. John William Roach married Leora Matilda Russell. They are listed on the 1920 census in Coal Co., Okla. and lived about the Vlema-Alma area, where they had 9 children. They are buried at Lula Cemetery in Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

6) Ascenith Cassandra Cheek was born about 1849 in Cherokee Co., Texas. She is listed in her parent's household on the 1850 & 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. She married on 16 Jun, 1873 in Burleson Co., Texas to David Charles Dawson. They had David Randolph Dawson and Cassandra Malinda Dawson. She died 18 Jan 1879 and is buried in a cemetery between Rockdale and Thorndale, Texas.

7) Ellen Cheek was born about 1854 in Cherokee Co., Texas. She is listed in her parent's household on the 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. Info on her is being sought.

8) Stephen Randolph Cheek was born about 1856 in Cherokee Co., Texas and is included in his parent's household on the 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. He married on 16 May 1874 in Burleson Co., Texas to Mary Swain. Info on his family is desired.

9) Sophronia C. Cheek was born about 1858 in Cherokee Co., Texas and is included in her parent's household on the 1860 Census of Cherokee Co., Texas. About 1879, she married a William R. Lambert, who was born 1859. They are listed on the 1880 Census of Somervell Co., Texas with a one year old daughter Belinda Lambert. They lived next door to her brother W. W. Cheek. Info. on this Lambert family is appreciated.

10) John Robert Cheek was born 30 May 1864 in Texas. He married 17 Aug 1890 in Somervell Co., Texas to Mattie B. Rieves and they had 6 children: Cordie Cordelia Cheek Overton, William Henry Cheek, John Robert Cheek Jr., Walter Lee Cheek, Cora Lee Cheek Smith and Mary J. "Mattie" Cheek Hankins in Somervell Co., Texas. He died August 6, 1929 and is buried next to his mother Belinda Milstead Key Cheek in Rock Creek Cemetery in Somervell, Texas.

Any help appreciated!

Pauline

Re: CHEEK

Barbara Williams (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2003 6:14PM GMT
There is a message on the Somervell County board titled "Glen Rose Area" (Mar 13, 2002) by Helen Borchardt. She is also researching this Cheek family.

Barbara
Posted: 27 Sep 2005 6:27AM GMT
Surnames: John Cheek of Carroll Co. Mississippi
Trrying to find my roots , kin to John Cheek of Carroll Co. Mississippi . He came from N.C. , born 1772 . Married Susan Jane Trotter, she was from Virginia , born 1802. They were married 1830 Madison Co. Mississippi. Childern , Hilliyard , George , Lenard , John T. , and Silas.My ggrandfather was George and my grandfather was George Milton Cheek . My father was Leslie Tyree Cheek and my name is George D. Cheek. Pauline , we have matched up 37 out of 37 on the D.N.A. 37 TEST. You are my closest kinfolk, can you help me connect the family beginings. Who was John Cheek's brothers,sisters and his father and so on ??????? Will close for now Your Y.O.S. cousin Bubba Cheek
Posted: 24 Feb 2008 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Cheek/Dawson
I have information on the Cheek/Dawson Family.

moogalg@aol.com
Posted: 5 Mar 2008 8:04PM GMT
My dad's grandfather was Walter Lee Cheek...
Posted: 18 Mar 2008 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson, Cheek
Hi Pauline,

You and my niece have shared info on the Cheek Family,anyway I found this marriage record on Ellen Cheek.
Descendants of Ellen Cheek
Amanda was married to a John Roach, wonder if it is possible she married her sister's husband after Amanda died.

Ellen Cheek b: 1854 in Cherokee Co Texas
.. +John Rouch
m: December 17, 1871 in Brazos Co. Bryan,Tx
Not sure if you found this yet.
My Grandpa, was the Grandson of John Randolph Cheek, my grandpa was David Randolph Dawson, my Moms Dad.
I found it on this web Site http://www.brazosgenealogy.org/marr.htm

Posted: 9 May 2008 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Cheek and Dawsib
I am the grandaughter of David Dawson and Ascenith Cheek.
My grandmother is listed as Cassandra Malinda. Her name as I knew her, was Sarah Cassie Dawson Mills. She talked about her mother saying that she had died when she was only two or three. She told the story of her mother being buied between Thorndale and Rockdale and that her mother's brother carved her name on the tree by her grave.
Her father, David Dawson remarried and his wife's name was Daisy. I always knew my grandmother didn't like step-mothers. I wonder who changed her name?

Re: : CHEEK

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 3:58AM GMT
I am also trying to do some work on the Cheek family...but have hit a big wall. My great grand mother was Dora Cheek...from Carroll County Mississippi. All records show that in 1880 she and her brother were being raised by an Aunt and Uncle by the name of Hughs (Hughes) Joseph and Mary Ann. But there are no records for her before this. She was born somewhere around 1870. Census records of 1880 show her to be around 9 and her brother Byron? to be 6 yrs of age. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: : CHEEK

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: Trotter/Cheek/Compton/Carpenter
I have just started researching the Cheek family. Artimissie E Trotter is my husband G-Grandfather William D. Trotters sister and she married George Creek. I've just found the death certificate for their son and your grandfather George Milton Creek. I would be interested in any help you could give me with this family.
P. Trotter

Posted: 10 Jan 2010 11:58PM GMT
Cheek, TX was founded in 1906. It was laid out and named after JR Cheek. Cheek is in precinct 4 of Jefferson County Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic