Search for content in message boards

John William HESSING,Utrecht 1739

John William HESSING,Utrecht 1739

Dewi Morgan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HESSING
John William HESSING, a native of Utrecht; born 16 Aug 1739 died and buried Agra old RC Cemetery 21 Jul 1803.
Went to India in 1752 with the Dutch EICo. Looking for info on other HESSINGS, in Utrecht or elsewhere.

Re: John William HESSING,Utrecht 1739

Posted: 17 May 2010 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Hessing
Am looking for link from John William Hessing to Mary Ann Hessing born Dharwa, India 11th March 1853, and died 21st July 1895 Bombay. Or any other info on Hessing surname 1739-1853.

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hessing
My wife and I researching similar links. I have Mary Ann's parents and her husband, but I presume you will have that as you know her DofB. Also her siblings. We have our own line to John Henry Hessing b 1835 complete and are looking for links to JW too.

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 12:08PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I have parents of Mary Ann Hessing b.11/03/1853 as Anthony Hessing and wife Anne. No further info or dates of marriage other than 1st child born 01/05/1848 Elizabeth in Maharashra, India. Where does your relative John Henry Hessing b 1835 fit in ? Is he a cousin of Mary Ann ? Have no other info at present.

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 12:31PM GMT
I have three sons prior to Elizabeth's birth, one of whom I believe to be John Henry. Three daughters also, post Elizabeth including Mary Ann.

I am unsure about John Henry because he was twice married. On his first marriage details it cites his father as Anthoney (in that spelling), on the second as Edward. Anthony would fit time wise and geographically its just the doubt cast by the second marriage.

I can find no further details about John Henry's birth or Anthony's marriage or birth. But drawing comparable time lines would suggest he could be the son of JW ( a stretch but possible), better George or Thomas (JW's sons) but I have no proof. Equally he could be from a parallel line of the family.

There was obvoiusly UK family in the early 1800's as George, his sister and John Augustus are recorded returning from England by boat. JA went to school at Charterhouse and died in Surrey. George died in Calcutta but his wife may have come to the UK. Madeline, JW's daughter, married Col John Geddes. At that time she was cited as coming from London not India.

There are still Hessing family members from the JH line living in Bombay.

Do you have any photographic records from Mary Ann's descendants?

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 11:07AM GMT
Thank you for your reply.
1. I do have a note in my file that Elizabeth was first child of Anthony Hessing and his wife Anne.
2. Mary Ann Hessing m.Halmeyer Thorpe- Bombay 05/12/1871
Their daughter Alice Gertrude Thorpe b.1872 Bombay was my grandmother (died before I was born) I have photos of her. Very Indian looking and quite often wearing saris. She married Ralph Searle Ranson 1903 Bombay. They had one child Ralph Noel Thorpe Ranson my father b. Bombay 1904. I was born in UK 09031945-Christina Fay Ranson now Christina Harris.
3. I have photos of 3 generations mentioned above but not good at sending attachments. Could send by snail mail.
4. Are you sure that my Mary Ann b11/03/1853 is the same as yours ?

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 12:36PM GMT
You can verify yourself if you use Beta on the LDS site Family search. Type in Anthony Hessing and it will list all the births I mentioned, bar one. Type in John Henry Hessing, check the details of his first marriage and his father is named as Anthoney. Without a full certificate the latter I can't be sure of, but the rest are right.

Where would you be snail mailing from..... I'm in Scotland.

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 1:43PM GMT
I am in Essex UK. Don't understand what you mean by 'use Beta
on the LDS site family search'. I have done quite an amount of research but not very experienced with the sites as tend to research in fits and starts over the years.

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 7:49PM GMT
OK, sorry about that. If this comes out condescending its not meant to be. The Mormons, Church of the Latterday Saints (LDS) have a genealogy site called familysearch. You don't need to be a member. Once on the site look in the ribbon across the page top, one choice shown there should be Beta. Its a new thing they are trying. Just use the serach boxes as labelled and you ought to be able to verify what I said about the brothers and sisters. If all is as I imagine Mary Ann and John Henry were siblings. Making you a distant cousin to my wife, who was born a Hessing. I know what you mean about fits and starts. The LDS have the records from the Three Presidencies in India. I can order them in to look at in Elgin but they want £17 odd to order each one, but compared to a stay in London and using the India Collection at the British Library its cheap. Incidentally the BL hold images of Col JW and his son George W. Aside from the Tomb at Agra they had a very Jane Austen style house on the banks of the Ganges at Dinapore near Patna.

Posted: 28 Nov 2010 5:17PM GMT
I have a copy of an article from the New Statesman (of India?)written by 'Hyderabad' dated July 12 1931 all about John William Hessing, 'The Dutch Governer of Agra' and his Sutherland descendents. My mother's maiden name was Hessing and she was born and brought up in Calcutta, coming to England after she married my father. Her mother, Daisy Hessing, was Anglo-Indian
Presumably John William Hessing is my ancestor and so I'd be delighted with any ideas for researching more into the family history, especially late 19th and early 20th century
per page

Find a board about a specific topic