Search for content in message boards

Knoxville TENN, African American UPSHAW's

Knoxville TENN, African American UPSHAW's

John Douglas Upshaw Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I live in Knoxville Tennessee, I am Black, Latino, and Apache Indian. My dad Upshaw Sr. was born here he is Black.
He is the son of James Upshaw Sr. . There are two different clans of Upshaw's here in Knoxville, both black.
I know that our last name was give from a slave master some time ago. I want to know more about the name and what slave that was given the last name.

Re the african american Upshaws

Posted: 2 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2004 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Upshaw, Dotsey
Hello there I realy think that your Upshaws are the same as mine please contact me thank you.

Re: Knoxville TENN, African American UPSHAW's

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 8:41PM GMT
Hello John Douglas, my name is Barry Scott Upshaw. My grandfather name was Van Upshaw. He lived in Memphis TN. I don't know much about my family history but am doing so searching.

I reside in Phx. Az. My email address is ubpositive @bigplanet.com. Please reach me with any facts or data that may be helpful and I will do the same. Thank you.

Posted: 29 May 2002 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2002 1:28AM GMT
My grandfather was Choctaw Indian...named Johnny Everett Upshaw......his parents were John Allan Upshaw and Betty Elizabeth Griggs.....and I remember them saying something about us having black in our family background...still searching will let you know if I find anything.

Re: Re the african american Upshaws

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 4:43AM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2004 7:10PM GMT
Surnames: MOORE, DOTSEY, BROWN
I am searching for information on the Dotsey family. My daughter married Lee Moore Jr. from Portland Oregon. Lee's father is Lee Moore Sr., and his grandmother was Audrey Brown Dotsey. She was married to Rev. Lonnie Dotsey. They lived in Portland, Oregon. However, Lonnie Dotsey was born in Cameron Texas, according to his obit.

I am also VERY interested in some information on the Moore family. I have been doing our genealogy for over ten years now, and very much want to include Lee's family, now that he is part of our family. :-)

If anyone has any information on either one of these families, please email me at kristen@brinks-biz.com, kjbrink2@hotmail.com or res0f6ay@verizon.net. (I've been having trouble getting my email, that is why I have listed all three email addresses)

Thank you in advance for any help, you might be able to give me.

Re: Re the african american Upshaws

Posted: 1 Mar 2004 4:26PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2004 3:41PM GMT
Hello there i am a sister to Lee sr so what kind of information would you like? my father was not born in Cameron he was raised there he was born in Hearn if i can be of any help to you please let me know have a great day.

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: upshaw
Hello I realize that this posting was begun several years ago, but I'm hoping someone is still searching. My name is Margrett Upshaw and my grandfather is Van Upshaw Sr. who was married to Elonora Foster Upshaw and lived in Memphis Tennessee. I would very much like to share information anyone has relating to the Upshaws. From my understanding the original home state for Van and Elnora was Charleston Mississippi. Thanks I look forward to learning and sharing.

Posted: 10 May 2008 3:59AM GMT
Hi by chance did any of you family come from georgia, I am related to some upshaw in Knoxville I just recently found out while getting together a family reunion. Do you have any of these names Pal, Garfield, willie Charline, ben sarah upshaw I know that some of my family left georgia and moved there. contact teresa_upshaw@yahoo.com
James Upshaw is a name i found living in Coweta county Ga. who I am related to. I have many other names Garfield had about ten children My great grandfather George upshaw had about six.

Posted: 10 May 2008 3:59AM GMT
Hi by chance did any of you family come from georgia, I am related to some upshaw in Knoxville I just recently found out while getting together a family reunion. Do you have any of these names Pal, Garfield, willie Charline, ben sarah upshaw I know that some of my family left georgia and moved there. contact teresa_upshaw@yahoo.com
James Upshaw is a name i found living in Coweta county Ga. who I am related to. I have many other names Garfield had about ten children My great grandfather George upshaw had about six.

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 1:54AM GMT
By any chance do the names, sarah, or duly seems familiar to you. These were some of my granfather slibing who name was Ben Upshaw from georgia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions