Search for content in message boards

A bad experience last night

A bad experience last night

Posted: 11 May 2013 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2013 4:59PM GMT
I posted this just now to the private messages option for an Ancestry staff person who had responded to a complaint.

"I had a nasty experience last night while saving a census record for 1940. For some reason, this particular record for this particular person and only this particular record for this particular person, kicked me into what I guess is your WONDERFUL new record save. Here is what happened. I had this person's actual birth and death dates in there. So--this new WONDERFUL thing just erased my actual birth and death dates and substituted the age based on the census age in this 1940 census record. I had to replace every date I had-I had to click and click(endlesly) to fix what this WONDERFUL NEW THING MESSED UP FOR ME. I tell you and all the others that if this WONDERFUL NEW THING is implemented I will not save any records anymore."

After that one census, everything just went back to the previous save options. So-with this new thing, if everytime a record is saved it wipes out birth and death dates and any other thing that was already there, it is just really ugly and I will not use it.

Re: A bad experience last night

Posted: 11 May 2013 5:11PM GMT
I just tested and did not have that result.

Your experience seems to reflect an issue that DID exist a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of relevant threads:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.membertree.member...

As noted in one of those threads, the problem seems to have been repaired.

Posted: 11 May 2013 5:56PM GMT
"I tell you and all the others that if this WONDERFUL NEW THING is implemented I will not save any records anymore."

LOL!!! Priceless!!!

You really think ACOM cares if you save records?

They'd get your money AND benefit from not having resources used- they'd ADORE that!

Posted: 11 May 2013 7:06PM GMT
I don't expect anyone at Ancestry will care what I do with my records or not. and for the othe poster, whatever this was existed last night, not 2 weeks ago. Why--I have no idea.

Posted: 11 May 2013 7:07PM GMT
It was not repaired last night!!! Two weeks ago it was the privacy thing that was happening to living people. This was not the same and happened with someone who is deceased.

Posted: 11 May 2013 8:08PM GMT
The beta review form is STILL not ready for prime time, it does "overide" and "overwrite" existing data in a profile. Again, this depends on the database you're saving from, so don't overwrite, but many still do.

Let's see, the beta review form was supposed to become permanent in February. 3 months later it's still not ready. The "alternate" issues (user submitted alternate data as the default in the beta review form) alone, should be enough for them to take this off the site and back to the drawing board.

Posted: 11 May 2013 8:36PM GMT
Not ready for prime time-one would think the powers that be would figure that out by now!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic