Search for content in message boards

Alfred E Hilton - New York

Alfred E Hilton - New York

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 2:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on Alfred Ernest Hilton b.1885 in Pontefract, Yorks,England.He emigrated to the US in 1909, on the SS Saxonia to Boston. I believe that the final destination was Brooklyn, New York and he later married(don't know who to) and died there.I have looked through some of the later US census returns but cannot find him.
Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

Re: Alfred E Hilton - New York

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 5:47PM GMT

I think this is the right Alfred, even thu middle initial is different, we can only thank census takers and transcribers for any errors. The info I found you will have to double check..didn't find him in New York..yu said he died there?
Good luck in your search

Name: Alfred I Hilton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Birthplace: England
Father England
Mother England
immigration 1909
Spouse's Name: Florence M
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
immigration 1907
Children born Ohio
Name: Edward D Hilton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1915

Name: Ethel D Hilton age: 11
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1919

Name: Edna M Hilton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1923

Name: Elsie J Hilton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1928

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio; Roll: 1846; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 144; Image: 812.0
---------------

OHIO DEATH INDEX
Name: Alfred S Hilton
Birth Date: Est. 1884
Race: White
Residence City: Youngstown
Residence County: Mahoning
Residence State: Ohio
Residence Country: United States
Death Date: 2 Feb 1963
City of Death: Youngstown
County of Death: Mahoning
Certificate: 14195
Age at Death: 79
Certifier: Physician
Autopsy: No autopsy
Marital Status: Married
-------------------
SS DEATH INDEX
Name: Edward Hilton
SSN: 283-03-2148
Last Residence: 44442 New Middletown, Mahoning, Ohio, United States of America
Born: 17 Jan 1915
Died: Jan 1985
State (Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951)
-------------
OHIO DEATHS
Name: Ethel Doreen Maxin
[Ethel Doreen Hilton]
Birth Date: 10 Dec 1918
Birth City: Youngstown
Birth County: Mahoning
Birth State: Ohio
Birth Country: United States
Race: White
Hispanic Origin: Not Hispanic (Latino)
Residence County: Mahoning
Residence State: Ohio
Residence Zip Code: 44512
Residence Country: United States
Death Date: 24 Jun 2002
Death Time: 12:00 PM
Hospital of Death: Long-Term Care Facilities
County of Death: Mahoning
Certificate: 059259
Age at Death: 83
Registrar's Certificate Number: 01651
Certifier: Physician
Referred to Coroner: No
Autopsy: No
Method of Disposition: Cremation
Filing Date: 26 Jun 2002
Hospital Status: Other/Nursing Home
Social Security Number: 268-12-8602
FATHER'S SURNAME: Hilton
Mother's Maiden Name: Blewitt
Marital Status: Widowed
Education: 12
Armed Forces Indicator: No
Census Tract: 8119
Primary Registration District: 5000

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 7:44PM GMT
At this web site, http://www.italiangen.org/
there is a marriage recorded of Alfred E. Hilton dated 10/12/1910 in Kings county, Brooklyn NY to Mary A. Smith. The 1910 census (dated earlier than the month of October) shows an Allfred C. Hilton 24 in Kings county NY, a boarder in a residence, says arrived 1909 from England.

The 1920 census in Kings county, Brooklyn NY lists a Mary Hilton, 30, widow, Allison 7, George 5, and a mother in law (?) Mary Smith 80, born in Ireland. Mary Hilton says born in NY, parents born in Ireland. The children recorded as born in NY, father born in NY, mother in England. Looks like that got kind of mixed up, so father info could be wrong also. I believe the elder Mary Smith is the mother and not the mother in law, as recorded.

This could be the family you seek.

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 8:18PM GMT
Thank you very much for that. This is definitely the person I am seeking. I am interested in the mention of the 1910 census. Could you possibly advise me of the full details?

The 1920 census is the correct family. I have George and Alison mentioned somewhere in my research but I didn't know who they were.

Colin

Posted: 5 Jan 2009 12:41PM GMT
Using Heritage Quest, 1910 census Kings county, 17-WD Brooklyn, Series T624, Roll 966, page 85 I find a record of Allfred C. Hilton, 24, single, a lodger at 825 Manhatten Avenue, came from England 1909, employed at the YMCA, but I cannot make out his job title. He is in the home of what appears to be Gustaves Cressler, 50, born in New Jersey, his wife is Margaret 47, "Scot English". There are other boarders in the household, but none from England, and their names are difficult to read.

I don't have access to the 1930 census. I could not find marriage records for Allison and George. I see on the Social Security death index an Allison Hilton, died in NY, born about the right time. If this could be her, it would likely mean she never married.

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 7:57PM GMT
Thanks again for your help. I have just gained access to the 1930 census via Ancestry. This shows Mary, George and Alison still living together in Brooklyn. I have also found that Alfred's brother, George, travelled to New York in 1907 but must not have stayed long as he got married in March 1910 back in England.
The record is not very clear, but George was a plumber and it also mentions the YMCA, so maybe they were both working there together.
I have now got a copy of the marriage cert for Alfred and Mary A Smith. It gives Alfred's address as 163 Noble St and Mary's as 466 Lexington Ave. Mary's parents are Martin and Mary Ann Bothwell(?) I have looked for them on the 1910 census, but with a surname of Smith, it's a mission impossible.

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 11:23AM GMT
I think it's possible that the 2 Mary's were not living together in the 1910 census, making it quite impossible to determine which of the many Mary Smith's are the right ones. I tried looking at the census ED numbers for the streets you had from the marriage record and learned that they both are not in the same ED #, at least not in Brooklyn. I looked again at the web site italiangenealogy, and in their death index is an Alfred Hilton died 12/22/1915 in Manhattan, age 30. There are many Martin Smith's on that index. Well at least you are making some headway. Resources keep coming on-line which help us all in our searches, and give us something to look forward to.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Hilton Wales
Hi,don't know if you are still watching this thread. I am George Wales Hilton's grandaughter.he was born 1884 to George Benjamin Hilton and Sarah Wales. Thankyou for helping me to find out details of his trip top USA, although He came home again!...The story goes that he was walking home one night from studying with a T square under his arm when two policemen set on him and gave him a good beating, mistaking it for a weapon! He told me this was when he decided to come home again. I have my grandfathers address/telephone book which records Alisons' address in Brooklyn. George later became Clerk of Works for Crewe and Nantwich Municipal Council.
Hope this helps, as I am very happy to have found outabout the American connection. regards Patricia

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 12:28PM GMT
Hi Patricia
Yes I am still looking for any contacts for the family. If you would like to get in touch direct, my email address is

cb216@btinternet.com

I would be willing to share the info I have with you.

Regards
Colin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions