Search for content in message boards

Winebago Indians

Winebago Indians

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2006 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Houghton
Were the winebago indians ever in Crawford County?
we are trying to find out information on a lady we know only as Paula who's father was supposidly a Winebago Indian Chief. we would like to find out who he was and what her Indian name was. She married Eli Houghton Cira 1842-1845
Prairie Du Chein, Crawford, Wisconsin. He died at the battle of Ulm in 1862 their home at the time of his death was in Sherburne County, Minnesota.
If any information is to be had please feel free to email me directly at branchshaker@cybernet1.com

Thanks

Re: Winebago Indians

Posted: 4 Sep 2002 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2002 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: WAUKON, LYTTLE, HOUGHTON
I did a lot of work abstracting information from old Crawford County newspapers and found many references to the Winnebago Indians. In "Genealogical Events from Newspapers for Crawford, Vernon and Grant Counties, Wisconsin, 1870-1901" is a citation for Lizzie Waukon that may be of interest to you. The De Soto Chronicle of Sept. 25, 1886 reported that Lizzie Waukon, wife of John Waukon (former chief of the Winnebago Indians) was 100 years old. She was baptized in the Catholic Church about 1840. She visited with Mrs. Lyttle in De Soto. I don't know if there is a connection here with the Houghton family, but it might be worth it to search for more information on John and Lizzie Waukon.

Nancy Nichols (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2003 4:42AM GMT
Surnames: HAMMA; HOUGHTON; RAHN; GOODMAN; RONNER; FRANZ; WALTHER; LEACH
Vern, I am not asking about the Winebago Indians, but need to know if you can direct me to a place to search for my gg grandfather, David Houghton. Supposedly he traveled to Prairie du Chien from Nauvoo, Illinois in 1848 with his family; wife Elizabeth, dau. "Melissa" (also Elizabeth), son George, son David and dau. Sarah. All were born in VT except for Sarah who was born in IL. The were part of the Mormon group who traveled to Nauvoo to join Joseph Smith. An Iowa history published in 1905, tells the story of David Houghton (the son). He says his father died in Prairie du Chien the first year he was there. The family returned to Nauvoo. With such a small window of time, how do I search for him?

The time is right for the great move westward after Joseph Smith was killed. Did a branch of the LDS come north to Wisconsin?

Thanks for your time and any ideas that you can provide.

Nancy

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:50PM GMT
In roughly 1842, give or take--can't trust my memory, there was a cohort of Mormons that located themselves northwest of Prairie du Chien on the Black River in Wisc Terr. You can find out a little about this from a book that can be read online by Bunnell of Winona Co. Minn. He describes Indian traders on the Mississippi at La Crosse who also sold items to these Mormons. Nauvoo was downriver in Illinois. There was a certain amount of interdependence between the frontier towns on the Mississippi, no matter what state or territory they officially lay in. The biggest towns were Prairie du Chien and St. Louis in 1830s.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic