Search for content in message boards

Marriage causes duplicate descendants

Marriage causes duplicate descendants

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grandfather married his step-mother's grand daughter. In other words, my great-grandfather's step-mother was first married to his wife's grandfather and later to his father. When I add both these marriages, my great-grandfather and all his descendants are duplicated in different tree branches. Is there a way to add the marriages so that the duplication doesn't occur?

Re: Marriage causes duplicate descendants

Posted: 12 May 2013 1:27AM GMT
Are you seeing duplicates in the "List of all People" or in the "Family View"?

Multiple relationships are displayed poorly (inaccurately) in Family View. Be sure to check "List of All People" to determine if you have duplicate people.

If you truly have duplicate people, you can use the "Merge with duplicate" under "More options."

Posted: 12 May 2013 1:54AM GMT
I don't have any duplicate people in the list, just in the family view. If I remove one of the marriage facts and relationship, the family view is OK (no duplicates). I'd like to have a way to document the marriage, but still have a correct family view. Any suggestions?

Posted: 12 May 2013 1:57AM GMT
My suggestion is never ever look at "Family View." It is a an extremely limited poorly-crafted graphic display that causes confusion.

If you have everything added correctly, with no duplicate people in your list, ignore Family View. Use Pedigree View if you want to see the family groups.

Posted: 12 May 2013 2:37AM GMT
I'll try adding the marriage again and using Pedigree View instead. Thanks for the advice!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic