Search for content in message boards

Governor John Malcolm Patterson

Governor John Malcolm Patterson

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 2:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Aug 2002 4:28PM GMT
Gov. Patterson was born in Tallapoosa County. He was Alabama's 49th Governor. His parents were Albert L. Patterson and Agnes Louise Benson. Looking for who their parents were. Gov. Patterson graduated high school at Phenix City in 1939, so he would have been born sometime around 1920-22.

Re: Governor John Malcolm Patterson

Barbara Franklin (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2009 10:43PM GMT
Governor John Patterson is living in Montgomery, AL and attends the reunion from Central High School in Phenix City, Al every year. He was in my mother's class. Why don't you get directory assistance and call him? He is such a nice man and I am sure he would help you. Also there may be a reference to his lineage in the Tallapoosa Heritage Boook just released that my Mother has borrowed or in the Phenix City Book that was written about 3 to 4 yrs. ago. I hope this helps. Barbara

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 6:52PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2002 4:28PM GMT
Thank you very much, and thanks to those who have responded via email, too.

I now know that Albert Love PATTERSON's father was Delona PATTERSON, and his mother was Mary Green SORRELL. I also know back a few generations further, too.

My interest in the Governor is that I own a set of books related to the Civil War, which he inscribed and signed in 1861 as a Christmas gift.

Arlee L. McCoy (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2002 2:04AM GMT
Are these the Pattersons originally from Tallapoosa-Clay Co., AL? I remember Albert Patterson getting Marshall law declared in Phenix City, AL in the 50's. Great man.

I am related to the Sorrell's on the Jarvis side of my family. Green Sorrell's daughter, Elizabeth, married George Young Jarvis in Chambers Co., AL. They moved on to Tallapoosa Co., AL.in 1850's. Green Sorrell's will is in Chambers Co., AL. Would like to correspond.

Barbara Davis Franklin (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 1:19AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2009 10:43PM GMT
This is correct. His family is profiled in the Heritage Book of Tallapoosa Co. that came out a couple of years ago. He was a great man and his son is also. John was in my Mother's class at Central High School in Phenix City and he and his lovely wife attend all the class reunions. From the tragedy that happened in Phenix City to the legacy this family has given (as well as the others who were willing to sacrifice and take the front line assults that occurred, left us all a legacy and a City we can be proud of!) Phenix City is true to its symbol of the beautiful Phenix bird rising anew that is on display. I am proud of my Alabama roots, my family and to tell people that I am a native! Thanks to the Patterson family and others, Phenix City became a nice town and a place to honor as HOME.

Re: Sorrells

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 1:21AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2009 10:44PM GMT
The Sorrells are a collateral line in my family. Have some info but not that much.

Arlee L. McCoy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 1:36PM GMT
Thanks so much for the response. I trace collateral lines in order to find the main line. Women had stricter rules for marrying, etc. Sorrells is my collateral line to the Jarvis line. I have a copy of the Green Sorrel's will which lists his children if you are interested.

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 7:21PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2009 10:44PM GMT
Yes, I am interested. is it too long to email? Thank you for the tip about the collateral lines. I have been really surprised with some of the people I have found while looking for someone else. thanks,

Posted: 13 Jun 2002 11:11PM GMT
Thank you Barbara for letting me know how Gov.Patterson is doing. I visited him when he was gov. I was 14 years old and was going blind .he helped get my father a job in Alabama,because daddy always had to work out of town.I don't know if you ever read about me or not .I know Gov . Patterson will remember me.I was in the papers all over the United States.My Mother ,Daddy,and My brother went with me to see him.If you know how his address please let me know.thank you again.
wyona Griffith murray

Barbara Franklin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2002 11:28PM GMT
I will try and get one for you. He was a classmate of my Mother's and he and his wife always come to the class reunion in Phenix City. I know it holds bittersweet memories for him as the tradgedy of his Father's death but then the promise of a new future for our fair city. I was home last weekend and the city is doing well and still growing. This growth was part of a hugh price paid by many who were willing to take on organized crime and drive it out of our town. Thesse people (all of whom will never be known) took a stand for principals and morals. He is truly a man worthy of respect and gratitude.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic