Search for content in message boards

pow caught in north africa feb. 14th 1943 ( 12 of them)

pow caught in north africa feb. 14th 1943 ( 12 of them)

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Rederth
HI,
My father, Alllwin Rederth, was one of twelve men captured in North Africa on Feb. 14th 1943. Does anyone have any info about the other men? I have many letters my father wrote while being held prisoner! I believe he was in Stalag 3 in Germany. They were moved around by train alot, mostly in the night! he didn't talk much but I have a few stories.He was in the 1st armored division the 3rd battalion. Not too many people knew about these men because it was covered up until they were released! When he returned home (South Dakota) he was informed not to talk about anything he experienced as a prisoner of war! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thank-you
Connie Rederth

Re: pow caught in north africa feb. 14th 1943 ( 12 of them)

Posted: 4 Mar 2009 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Here is some information. He was in Stalag 3B Furstenberg Brandenburg Prussia.
Bob

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 3:35AM GMT
Hi
How do you know this? Were you one of the 12 men?
Thank-you
Connie Rederth

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 5:10AM GMT
No I am not one of them. His name is from the National Archives.
If you go to google.com and type NARA-AAD-List of Series. Hit on that paragraph. When you get the site go to where it says World War 11 Prisoner of war. Hit on search. Then all you have to do is type in his name and nothing else.
Bob

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 3:28PM GMT
Dear Connie,

You should contact the 1st Armored Division association for the list of the prisoner of war during wwii :

1st Armored Division Association,
PO Box 2088, Elizabethtown,
KY 42702-2088
For more info call (270)737-0901, FAX (270)765=7313 or
E-Mail firstarmdiv@msn.com

With this name, you can go on the National Archive website : http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=466&tf...

For each name, you access to the POW files where name/army id number/whe he was taken prisoner/which camp he was prisoner. So you can see which soldier from this division was taken prisoner the same day of you father.

Good luck for your research.

Best regards from France.

Tim.

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 8:58PM GMT
Thank-you I will check into this!

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 5:14AM GMT
My grandfather was captured in north Africa on 2/14 also and was sent to Stalag 3. I don't know alot of the details but he did tell me a little.His name was Joseph Vinciguerra.He was in the 17th field artillery part of the 13th field brigade.After his battalion was destoyed he escaped with four other G.I's,they were captured four days later and taken to a small Arib village where he was held with some soldiers from the first armored division.I remember him telling me about not eating for a couple of days before he was captured so when he got to the prison camp he told the officers of situation and the put potatoe skins in his broth whitch was normaly served without.After a couple day it was one cup of broth and one peice of bread per day and once in a while he got some oats from the S.S. horses that were tied up next to the fence.He was also moved around by train alot, he told me that he escaped once by jumping off the train before it got to the station but he was captured again a couple days later.He also escaped another time by faking an illness,he thought the infermory would be easier to escape from and I guess he was right. He got uot but was captured again after about a week.Anoyher story he told was about being shiped over to England, there was a box of bread and the soldiers started to get into it. They thought it was raisen bread but as it turned out the raisens had legs,he said they put it down and one of the English crew members told them to eat up, he told them they'd eat worse than that before the war was over.The ship droped them off in England and then headed for south Africa where it was sunk by the Germans.My dad told me also that my grandfather didn't eat pork for years because it made him think of the pigs he saw eating dead bodies in one of the towns they marched through just before they were freed by the Russian army.On May 5 1945 they met general Eisenhower in Reims France, he said he wanted to persolly meet the POW's.He arrived back in the U.S. on June 14 1945.I wish I had more to tell you but that's it. Good luck. Joey V.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 4:25PM GMT
Several men from Middlesboro, Kentucky were captured and sent to Stalag 3B including my wife's uncle, Robert Quillen. Only one person is still alive. His name is Ed Morrison and he lives in Middlesboro.

Chuck Owens

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 12:07AM GMT
Hello. My father, Clarence E Stuckey, was also captured in North Africa in Tunisia on Feb. 14, 1943. He was a POW at Stalag 3b. I do have some of his letters and a personal diary with few entries he made. Also, my fathers picture appears in Time/Life books series on WWII, the volume on prisoners of war. Maybe your father is in that same picture. I wish I would have seen this site sooner. I hope this can be of some help.
Mark Stuckey

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 4:09PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions