Search for content in message boards

Mary and Donal(d) Douglass; Scotland > Canada

Mary and Donal(d) Douglass; Scotland > Canada

Posted: 6 Jun 2006 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2006 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Douglass, Douglas, Gorr, Mallory, Barr, Carswell, Dool, Johnson, Watson
Looking for information about Mary and Donal(d) Douglass, children of John and Margaret Douglass. The Douglass family immigrated from Scotland about 1850 living first in Bristol, Pontiac, Quebec, then in Horton Twsp (1861 census) and then in Matawatchan (1871,1881,1891,1901 census). Mary was b abt 1865 and Donal abt 1867. The 1881 census is the last one in which they are mentioned. Other Douglass children were, Elizabeth (m John Gorr), Jennett (m Aylmer Mallory), Isabella (m Robert Barr), Margaret (m David Carswell), John (m 1. Martha Dool, 2. Mary Jordan Johnston), and William (m Margaret Watson).

Re: Mary and Donal(d) Douglass; Scotland > Canada

Posted: 23 Aug 2006 2:50PM GMT
I am looking for information on Margaret who married David Carswell. Hope you may have something?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:30AM GMT
Elizabeth m( John Gorr) was living with her son Duncan Stewart in 1911 census she stated that she immigrated to Canada in 1844. So that would make her 4 years old, if she had the correct year of course

baptism/christening date: 01 Nov 1840
baptism/christening place: BARR BY GIRVAN,AYR,SCOTLAND
birth date: 23 Oct 1840

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: Douglas
Sheila, Thanks for replying to my post. Elizabeth, d/o of John and Margaret(Lowrie)Douglas is my great grand aunt. Her brother, John, is my great grandfather. Apparently, Elizabeth (Lizzie)had two illegitimate children with Duncan Stewart of Horton. Since my post I have learned that they were the Mary and Donald mentioned in that posting. Their names were Isabella (b abt 1860) and Duncan Stewart (b abt 1862). The 1861 census has Isabella as age one while the 1871 has her age ten and Duncan age four. The 1881 census had them as Mary and Donald. Lizzie is present in all three census. Year of immigration is still a puzzle; 1841 Scotland, no 1851 (possibly Bristol, Que as two kids born there), 1861 Horton, and 1871 on in Griffith and Matawatchan so after 1841, but no info or definite location in Que. Had her in 1911 census and her death info. Thanks for contacting me and sharing. Larry Douglas

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 5:29PM GMT
Hi

I have nothing at all on your John.. great grandfather who did he marry?
I have been trying to piece who is who from the 1871 census so far this is how it is looking

1871 census South Renfrew Matawatchan

Douglas John M 72 Scotland Presbytarian Scotland Farmer

"" Margaret F 53 "" "" ""

"" Elizabeth F 26 "" "" "" <-- sp.John Gorr

"" Isabella F 22 Q "" "" < sp. Robert Barr

11127-73 (Renfrew Co) Robert BARR, 25, blacksmith, Horton, Renfrew, s/o David BARR & Agnes AIRTH married Isabella DOUGLAS, 22, Bristol, Renfrew, d/o John DOUGLAS & Margaret LOWRIE, witn: Christopher JACKSON & Mary JACKSON of Renfrew, 6 May 1873, Renfrew

"" Margaret F 19 " " " <-- sp David Carswell Sr.

Margaret Douglas b. 1850 died March 1914 Cache Bay M.David Carswell April 24 1872 Renfrew Co.David Carswell married twice both ladies were Margaret first Margaret was Margaret Madigan d.16 Oct 1871

"" William M 16 " " "

Stewart Isabella F 10 O " " <-- sp. James Ross

Stewart Duncan M 04 " " " <-- sp. Mary Ranger

10801-1897 Duncan STEWART, 25, Lumberman, Matawachan, Cache Bay, s/o Duncan & Lizzie D. STEWART, married Mary RANGER, 20, Levant, Cache Bay, d/o William & Maggie RANGER, Wtn. Nellie GAGNON, Elizabeth PIRIE, on Aug. 24, 1897 at North Bay

Young Jane F 08 "" "" ""<-- sp. David Carswell Jr buried as Jane Stewart notice both Young & Stewart were used

I can't find birth records... in 1911 census it says immigrated in 1844 but ?? who knows. I think there were 3 out of wedlock kids but JUST A GUESS.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Douglass and Stewart
Hi Sheila, Just a few pieces re the Douglass/Stewart connection. 1861 census of Horton, Renfrew has Elizabeth (Lizzie) age 19 living with her parents. Her alleged child, Isabella age one, is also present. In 1861 McNAb there is a Stewart family with both a Duncan (18) and a Peter (23).

When Isabella marries James Ross in 1888, she gives her parents as Lizzie Stewart and Peter Stewart. When Lizzie's son, Duncan marries Mary Ranger, his parents are listed as Duncan Stewart and Lizzie Douglas. Curious. Larry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions