Search for content in message boards

Wilson Waddingham

Wilson Waddingham

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 10:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2006 6:06PM GMT
Looking for any infoabout Wilson Waddingham, who lived at New Haven abt.1860 thru 1899. He built a mansion there, was a banker, land speculator, cattleman, etc. But no one seems to have heard of him. Can anyone help??

Re: Wilson Waddingham

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 10:55PM GMT
Can not find one thing on him in New Haven all I found was a Wilson Waddington on census 1870 colfax County 3rd precint
in New Mexico.

Posted: 6 Oct 2002 4:52PM GMT
According to the 1880 census index, there were no Waddinghams in Connecticut in 1880 and no Wilson Waddingham anywhere in the country. Also, while CT may have a few dairy herds, it's not exactly know for cattlemen. How did you come by your information?

Posted: 7 Oct 2002 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2006 6:06PM GMT
Hello Bill:
Thanks for your reply.
Wilson Waddingham lived at New Haven Connecticut. He built an 80 room mansion there. His main offices were in New York City, but he also kept offices right across the country.
He owned The Bell Ranch in New Mexico, this is where he kept his cattle, not in Conn. The Bell Ranch was just over 700,000 acres in size (20 miles by 30 miles).
He sold it in 1898, then died in 1899.
I can find records of his land speculation, mining,etc. in nearly all other states where he had business dealings, but I can't find any information about him in the State where he lived - strange, eh? An 80 room mansion just doesn't go un-noticed, not for too long, anyway!! - he's there somewhere!
Sher at Ontario,Canada

Beverly Santamauro (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2003 2:26AM GMT
Sher,
Very important you e-mail me.....I am doing a book on Wilson Waddingham....have many things to tell you..I live in the town where mansion was.

Beverly

Posted: 9 Apr 2010 2:31PM GMT
Who published a book on Waddingham I need a copy for the Bell Ranch.

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 11:26PM GMT
Waddingham was from Canada and he was a major investor in the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad as well as the Maxwell Grant. He bought the Montoya Grant through Steve Elkins, a NM attorney & U. S. District One Attorney. I understand he had many influential connections in England and was able to influence others to invest in all of his enterprises. I also understood that he first showed up in California. Don't know much more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic