Search for content in message boards

Olaf, Engaborg & Andrew Gowland family

Olaf, Engaborg & Andrew Gowland family

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 11:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gowland, Hanson, Finstad
I am looking for information on this family. In 1930, they were living in Superior. Olaf & son, Andrew, were working bridge construction. Olaf & Engaborg were born about 1880. Andrew was born about 1900. Engaborg's mother, Engaborg (Finstad) Hanson(age 87)lived with them. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Olaf, Engaborg & Andrew Gowland family

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 3:57PM GMT
I'm heading to the Douglas County Courthouse in Superior on Friday (4-20-12) and can look at their birth death and marriage indexes and records. What specifically are you looking for and dates?

Michelle

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 12:10AM GMT
Can you check on a death date for Edward Julius Peterson, b. April 23, 1853, Norway and married to Ellen Olson/Finstad. He died between 1890 & 1900 in Superior. Also, where he is buried. Thanks for your help. You are most appreciated!

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 6:05AM GMT
Hi Michelle,

On the chance that you get this. Will Douglas County Court House let anyone go through their birth records? I need to find a birth record for 1914.

Please let me know if you can.

Thanks!

Faith

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 10:13AM GMT
Good Morning Faith,

Yes they will. Their phone number is 715-395-1463. Check for hours, I know they have specific times in the morning and afternoon. It's possible I could check for you, but I don't go into Superior on a regular basis, so it may take awhile. Your call, let me know.

Michelle

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 1:18PM GMT
HI Michelle,

Thank you for the help and the offer! I am hoping to get up to Duluth before school starts in the fall. We live about 3 hours from there. If it doesn't work for us to get up there I may take you up on your offer. Hopefully we are able to get up there and if we do I can head over to Superior to check it out. A few years ago I stopped at a court house in South Dakota to go through old birth records (like 100 years back) and they wouldn't let me. I had never been told no before. They said it was because of identity theft. So I wanted to make sure before I go there that Wisconsin doesn't have that same law.

Thanks so much!

Faith

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 10:14AM GMT
Good Morning Again,
I hope you can make it to Superior, but just let me know if you don't and I'll look for you.

Good luck,
Shelli

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gowland, Peterson
I checked in the death records and did not find any Julius Petersons. The records in the book I checked start in the 1850's an dwent through the 1910's. However, I did find a listing for a baby Peterson. The record reads generally as follows: Infant of Julius Peterson, white male (age at time of death) 1/2 hour.
Father: Julius Peterson born in Sweden
Mother: Mary E. Larson born in Waupaca Co. Wisconsin.
Date of death June 3, 1898
Residence: 138 W 3rd St.
Burial, Nemadji Cemetery permit # 1102

This information was found in the death record book "B" page 159 and it is #949 - 109263

I have made a memorial on Findagrave for infant Peterson:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=94...

One more note, the addresses in East End, Superior were changed many years ago. W 3rd St. is now E. 3rd St. but I do not know exactly where 138 W 3rd would be as the 138 part has changed as well.

Then I looked through the same book for anybody listed with the last name Gowland and did not find any.

If you find any more information to go on I would certainly try and look again.
Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions