Search for content in message boards

North Carolina/Virginia border Wrights

North Carolina/Virginia border Wrights

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any Wrights that were settled along the NC/VA border 1760-1780.
Specifically, I am searching (for over 30 years) for the parents of Nathan Wright (b 1762) and orphaned as a child. He named his first two sons John and Moses - others were Nathan, Jehu, Ezekial, and Achor. I think that his father MIGHT have been named one of these (except for Achor who was named for his maternal grandfather).
Nathan was (according to family legend) taken from the NC/VA border area by his guardian to Bedford County PA, where he was married in 1796 to Hannah Worley.

If anybody can supply any clues (ie counties where there may have been a disputed border AND there were Wrights in the disputed area) I would appreciate the help.

Laurice Johnson
Menifee CA

Re: North Carolina/Virginia border Wrights

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Laurice,

The 1850 Census for Bedford Township, Coshocton County, Ohio, listed Nathan Wright, age 87 and born in Pennsylvania.

Next door to Nathan Wright in the 1850 Census was Nathan Wright, age 50 and born in Pennsylvania, with son Achor Wright, age 23 and born in Ohio.

As you may already know, Marriages Coshocton County, Ohio, 1811-1930, compiled by Miriam C. Hunter, 1967, listed the marriage of Aches or Achro Wright and Eliza Stafford on July 2, 1829, in Coshocton County, Ohio.

And the 1830 Census for Bedford Township, Coshocton County, Ohio, listed the following:
1. Nathan Wright, age 60 to 70,
2. Nathan Wright, age 30 to 40, and
3. Achor Wright, age 20 to 30, with one female, age 20 to 30, and one female, age 0 to 5.

This seems pretty clearly to be your Nathan Wright family you are researching.

WorldConnect listed the marriage of Nathan Wright and Hannah Worley on August 29, 1786, in Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

If there is no reason to doubt the 1850 Census listing of Pennsylvania as the place of birth for Nathan, Sr., then it would seem likely that the home in Pennsylvania that family legend says he was taken to would be in Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

Although you may have already done this search, I suspect your best bet would be to search for Wright families in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, in the period 1760 to 1790, especially in the early part of that period with persons named John or Moses. Your Nathan would probably be related to one of those families.

The deed records would probably be the best place to start and then any tax lists that might have been kept.

If Nathan was still young when taken back to Pennyslvania after his parents' deaths, then his family probably moved from Pennsylvania to Virginia or North Carolina after his birth in 1762 and before he was a teenager. So I would look for a sale of land by a John or Moses Wright between 1762 and 1775 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania. That might give you the year of the family's move. Then I would search for a purchase of land in the border counties of Virginia and North Carolina within 2 years before that move date and 3 years after that move date for the same named Wrights. This might enable you to pin down the county to which the family moved and where the probate of the father's estate would likely have been had. Then I would search the probate records of that county for a John or Moses administration after the move date and prior to about 1776.

Hope this is of some help and good luck in your search.

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Stafford, Worley
Laurice
I have a group sheet for Anchor and Elizabeth Stafford Wright posted by Casey Stafford in 2007 Casey's email at that time is calystafford@live.com the list is from Nathan on but maybe they have more info by now.

Could you please tell me who was the guardian of Nathan, who brought him to PA.
I have in my notes Nathan Wright b 1762 m Hannah Worley about 1796 Bedford County, PA

Achor and Elizabeth moved to Bartholomew County IN

hopes this helps
Pat

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:05PM GMT
I would like to receive this information also:

thamilto@columbus.rr.com

I am descended from Nathan Wright Sr. via his son Nathan Wright Jr (1798-1892), and grandson Isaac Newton Wright (1838-1914)

Isaac Newton Wright was buried in Hardin County, Ohio where I currently reside.

Our "55th Wright Reunion" is occurring July 18, 2010 at Gormley Park, Forest, OH.

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:31PM GMT
I haven't been able to determine who the guardian of Nathan Wright was - although there are some clues pointing to Abraham Miley, Sr.
1. he owned a mill in Bedford County.
2. he came to PA from VA and was there by 1775 (tax lists)

Re: North Carolina/Virginia border Wrights part 2 of my response

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:41PM GMT
OOPS, pressed enter too soon.

3. He moved back to VA (West Virginia) before 1800.
4. there is a family tree/or query involving a Ruth Wright Garrett (I think that is the name) who named her son Abraham Miley Garrett in West Virginia. Could this be a younger sister of Nathan???

There are also a couple of other men who owned mills that came from Virginia that could be Nathan's guardian.

I looked into the NC/VA border counties and found no Wrights that left wills/young children and there are no guardian records that I could find that either named a guardian in these areas or in PA OR that released the guardian from his duties as the children attained majority in Bedford County PA.

There are several Wrights in Bedford County - in particular a John Wright who served with Patrick Haney's militia group along with Ezekial Worley and Abraham Miley Sr and Jr.

THese are just parts of this complex puzzle. Has anyone else ever looked into this besides me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions