Search for content in message boards

Looking for Bells Eastport Maine

Looking for Bells Eastport Maine

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bell
Were there any Bells in Eastport in the early 1800's I am specifically looking for a James Bell & wife Debby. They had a daughter Almira/Elmira born abt 1837 give or take a couple years. She states on her marriage record in Marblehead MA that she was born in Eastport Maine. She married a Nichols from Nova Scotia. You can email me directly if you have any info
I am hoping someone may have some information in their dtabase to help me out. Thank you

Re: Looking for Bells Eastport Maine

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 5:59AM GMT
WOW, you are the only other one I have come across looking for BELL in Eastport, ME; my 4th Great Grandmother was Margarette Bell, born in 1806 in Eastport, ME. She married Simeon Higgins of Eden, ME....I have yet to find her family.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 10:15AM GMT
My Almira/Elmira Bell seems to be hard to locate before she married 1st time. She married a Joseph Nigles/Nichols in Marblehead in 1853 where she says she was born in Eastport Maine and parents were James and Debby Bell. She then marries again to a Purdy and comes to Nova Scotia Canada and then marries again to a Connell/O'Connell from same area. Every record says she was from Eastport Maine. The only difference on one record of marriage it states her father was a William Bell. I tend to go with the 1st record of marriage as she was only 21 at the time and that more than likely is right. Were there Native Americans in Eastport I wonder? Could she have been Native? Is that why there is not record of her birth as they only kept oral tradition? Questions? But I will keep an eye out for your Margaret Bell

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 11:30AM GMT
I found on a Death Record for a Lorenzo S Higgins age 71 years old, 24 days, born Eastport Maine dies May 25 1901. His parents were Margaret Bell and Simeon Higgins. Lorenzo was a can maker. Maine Vital Records 1670-1907

Hope this is a help or you probably already have his name. I'll keep looking when I do research for myself

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 9:01PM GMT
Found another name for you . John Henry Higgins parents were Margaret Bell and Simeon Higgins He was born May 3 1835 in Eastport Maine Died Feb 3 1911 Chronic Bronchitis. He was 75 years old 9 mos and was a carpenter This was on MA Deaths 1841-1915. At least there are 2 names of the children of Margaret Bell and Simeon Higgins. Nothing more on Margaret Bell so far. Do you know who her parents were?

Posted: 12 Mar 2015 3:08AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Higgins, Kyle
No I still don't know who her parents are; I do have a list of her children; I come from her and Simeon Higgins's son Nathan Augustus Higgins who was born in Eastport 2 Feb 1823; Nathan went up to Saint John, NB, CAN along with his brother Rueben K. Higgins. Both raised LARGE families there. Then Nathan A. Higgins married Sarah Matilda Campbell, I come from their son, Nathan Augustus Higgins JR (or II) who married Sarah Ann Kyle and they moved to Cambridge; if you do a search for Higgins in Saint John on NB archives there are a TON (most are from Nathan and his brother Rueben).
Here is a list of Simeon and Margaret's children: (do find it interesting one of their kids has the middle name of Billings; could it be a family name?-I have researched the Higgins side extensively and pretty sure there are no Billings up that side. Also of note; from Nathan on down there is a strong pattern of names repeating either every generation or so)
Nathan Augustus Higgins
1823 – 1892

Reuben Knox Higgins
1825 – 1893

George Eben Higgins
1829 – 1880

Lorenzo Sabine Higgins
1833 – 1904

John Henry Higgins
1835 – 1911

Hobert Higgins
1838 –

Sarah Elizabeth Higgins
1840 –

Frances Higgins
1843 –

Francis Billings Higgins
1845 –
Children of Nathan Augustus Higgins (SR/I.) & Sarah Matilda Campbell.
John Henry Higgins
1849 – 1922

Sarah Elizabeth Higgins
1854 –

Frances Margaret Higgins Pierce
1859 – 1936

Mary Malinda Higgins
1860 – 1933

Daniel Higgins
1860 –

Nathan Augustus Higgins II.
1864 – 1929

Mary Elizabeth Harriet Higgins
1867 – 1960

Lucy Victoria Higgins
1871 –

Bertha Amelia Higgins
1873 –
Children of Nathan Augustus Higgins (JR/II.) & Sarah Ann Kyle:
Isabella Higgins
1882 –

John Edmund Higgins
1884 – 1907

Bertha Higgins
1886 – 1886

Charles Frederick Higgins
1887 –

Margaret Frances Higgins
1889 – 1973

Samuel Nathaniel Higgins
1891 – 1957

Nathan Augustus Higgins III.
1895 – 1977
Samuel Nathaniel Higgins is my Great Grandfather.

Posted: 24 Mar 2015 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: BELL
How about the family of Philip Yeaton Bell 10 Jun 1789 - 16 June 1828 who m. Elizabeth Wade 1 Sept 1811 in Eastport. for children they had Frederick, Henry W. John O., Elizabeth, Jane and Adelian. She's in the 1850 census.

Or how about Abednego and Hannah Bell who are also in the 1850 census. I'm researching the Bell family of New Castle NH and Abednego and Philip Yeaton are two big names in the Bell family in New Castle. I strongly believe they move from New Castle, NH to Eastport Me.

there's also a George Bell in Eastport who lived in New Castle until about 1815 and then moved to Eastport. I think they're brothers.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic