Search for content in message boards

MacLeod, Parish of Lochbroom

MacLeod, Parish of Lochbroom

Allana McLean (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacLeod
I am searching for descendents of my 2nd Grt-grandfather MURDOCH MacLEOD. He was known locally (Polbain) as "THE SOLDER", as he lost an arm in the Napoleonic Wars, Burgos, Spain. He was b. abt. 1780, m. Margaret MacLeod or Kerr abt. 1818, d. Oct. 4, 1856. His children were:
KATHARINE, b. December 24,1818; ELIZABETH, b.1822, m. John MacLeod March 19,1857; CHRISTINA, b. abt.1823, m. Roderick MacLeod,(brother of John)1844; LEXY b. abt.1824; DONALD b. July 30, 1826; ALEXANDER b. abt. 1827; JOHN & KENNETH b. Nov.16, 1828; PEGGY b.1829; HUGHINA b.1830; GEORGE b.1831 & MURDOCH b. 1833.
HUGHINA m. Murdoch MacLean and emigrated with two children to New Zealand in 1859.
ELIZABETH AND CHRISTINA remained in Polbain, Lochbroom. Decendents are still living in the area. I would like to know if any of the other children emigrated? Does this sound familiar.

Norman Murdock MacLeod

Janet Kendall (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MacLeod, MacDonald, Sherren
Please e-mail me on Murdock MacLeod. My great grandfather is Norman Murdock who married Margaret MacLean. Both were from Scotland. I also have ancesters -Christine,Alexander, Jessie, Maggie, etc. We may be able to help each other.

Donald McLeod soldier

Posted: 6 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2006 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: McLeod, Mitchell or Michel
Christina McLeod came to Australia sometime before 1885. She married Phillip William Howse. After his death she married Howard Penrose. Her parents were Donald McLeod, soldier and Christina Mitchell or Michel. She varyingly lists her bitrth place as Isle of Lewis and Stornaway .On the IGI her birth is listed as 21 Sep 1868 Christina McLeod to Donald McLeod and Christina Michel , Lochs.
Any help greatfully received in finding connected family .

MacLeod Lochbroom

Kate Ferris (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MacLeod, Matheson, MacLean, Mackenzie
I read with interest you family tree and wondered if your researches and my own coincide.
My father:Murdo MacLeod
His father: Murdoch MacLeod m Margaret Matheson (of Tanera Mor)12/8/1910
His father: Alexander MacLeod m Margaret (Peggy) MacKenzie 10/2/1870 Alexander fisherman, Old Dornie, Coigeach
Above marriage produced Henny, Roderick, Barbara, Mary, Hughina, Duncan,Margaret, Murdoch, Alexander and an other. All at Achiltibuie and Achnahaird.
Alexander's parents (deceased by 1870) were Roderick MacLeod who married Barbara MacLeod - he is described as a tenant.
If you have any thoughts on who's who or whether we link up somewhere I'd be pleased to hear from you.
Kate Ferris (nee MacLeod)
Isle of Lewis

Donald MacLeod - Soldier

Posted: 7 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Debbie:

My MacLeods all come from the Coigach area of Lochbroom. None - as far as I know - were born Isle of Lewis.

Cheers
Allana (MacDonald) MacLean

MacLeod - Lochbroom

Posted: 7 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Dear Kate:

As far as I can see now, there doesn't seem to be a connection. I have many of the same names in my family, but the dates ect. don't coincide. There may be a connection, as I still have MacLeod cousins that live in Achnahaird. My family tree is loaded with MacLeods who married MacLeods and MacKenzies.

Regards
Allana McLean
allanamcl@home.ca

Macleod Maclean Coigeach Lochbroom

Kate ferris (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MACLEOD, MACLEAN, MATHESON, MACKENZIE
Would like to hear from about your MacLeod amd MacLean families in Lochbroom as that's where mine came from - certainly there in the early-1800s onwards. I would love to hear what info you might have and whether we might be connected.
Catriona E Ferris (nee MacLeod)
now on the Isle of Lewis

McLeod - Isle of Lewis

Lorraine Satchell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McLeod, MacLeod
I have a Marion McLeod I have been told born c1819 in Stornoway (?)
Her father may have died when she was young and her mother remarried
W.C. MacKenzie. Marion is my g-g-grandmother but I am having difficulty proving her parents.
Posted: 30 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:03AM GMT
Lorraine
The Scottish IGI shows:

Marion MacLEOD chr: 5 May 1818 Stornoway, Ross-shire
father: Donald MacLEOD
source: Film 1058194 an LDS submission

Not sure if this is the one you are looking for or not?

Earl Ross

Thank you

Jenet MacLeod-Vlotaros (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thank you for offering assistance. Can anyone help in letting me know how to find Parish records from Lochs Ross?
I have finally discovered which area Kenneth came from, approximately what date, but having trouble finding these records. Thanks again. Jenet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic