Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Ann Steele Ashman

Elizabeth Ann Steele Ashman

Posted: 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Steele, Ashman, Melville, Greenway, Day, Giles, Huntsman, Robison, Theobald, Brunson, Stevens, Wixom, Lauritzen
Rogers, Sadie. East Millard Pioneers, Death Notices, As Published in the Progress 1913-1937, p. 44:

The Millard County Progress, Friday, 6 May 1927:

Early Resident of Fillmore Dies.

Elizabeth Steele Ashman, born Jan. 13th, 1850 at Manchester, England, died at Fillmore, Utah April 30th, 1927.

The deceased emigrated to Utah when she was 18 years old, leaving her home in England with another sister, May 4th, 1869, and arriving in Fillmore in September at the same year. She and the sister were the first of the family to come to this country; they left their parents and several brothers and sisters behind.

The sister who came with Mrs. Ashman later returned to England, and some of the other brothers and sisters came over, but the parents always remained in the Old Country.

She was married to John T. Ashman, June 29, 1869 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. The young people founded a home of their own in Fillmore. Eleven children were born to them, six of whom preceded their mother to the grave. Mr. Ashman died 31 years ago.

Mrs. Ashman was a faithful member of the L.D.S. Church. Her parents were converted before her birth so she naturally grew up in the faith. She was a good mother, giving to her children her time and her strength without thought of self.

She was also a most considerate neighbor and a friend to all in the community. By many of whom she was intimately called "Aunt Lizzie."

She had been living with her daughter, Nellie Melville, all winter, and had apparently been in the best of health, until two days prior to her death, when she was taken seriously ill. The cause of her death was pronounced as diabetes.

She is survived by the following children: Mrs. Nellie Melville, Mrs. Rhoda Melville, Charles and Clifford Ashman of Fillmore; and A. J. Ashman of Richfield. Also by a brother, Charles F. Steele of McGrath, Canada, and a sister, Mrs. Anetta Greenway of Fillmore, both of whom were younger than she. She is also survived by twenty-seven grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Monday, at 2 P.M. in the Second Ward Chapel, and was attended by an exceptionally large number of relatives and friends. The floral tributes were many and very beautiful. Musical numbers were furnished by the choir and by the ladies chorus under the direction of Mrs. Stella Day. The speakers were Grover A. Giles, Alonzo Huntsman and Alonzo Robison. The opening prayer was offered by Ernest Theobald and the benediction was pronounced by Peter L. Brunson. The grave was dedicated by Daniel Stevens. Bishop Don C. Wixom conducted the funeral services and Mr. Roy Lauritzen had charge of the arrangements for the burial. (Her daughter, Rhoda, informed me that her mother was the first to have her funeral services held in the Second Ward Chapel.)

Re: Elizabeth Ann Steele Ashman

M Naylor (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knowles>Green(a)way<Steele>Burnsoar
I am looking for decendants of Elizabeth's sister, Mrs Annetta Greenway. It is believed her husband, George Greenway, born in Newbury,was my Grandfather's Uncle - his father's brother. Annetta and George had a daughter, Georgia who married and lived in Fillmore. His name was Hillford Burnsoar?? The census is difficult to read.
We hold a copy of George Greenway's birth certificate and have details of his siblings and parents.

Posted: 8 Feb 2003 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: Steele, Stansfield, Bottomfield, Rogers, Thornton, Greenway, Knowles, Brunson, Day, Johnson, Zesiger, Anderson, Bennett, Warner
Annetta Steele (b. 14 Jun 1864, Manchester England, daughter of John Thomas Steele and Mary Ann Stansfield; d. 17 Sep 1939, Fillmore, Millard, Utah) md. 1st John Bottomfield, abt 1882 (b. 1853, d. 14 Mar 1914, Holden, Millard, Utah).

Their children are:
William Franklin Bottomfield, b. 20 Apr 1884 d. 5 may 1939 md Lydia Ann Trumble Rogers
Minnie Bottomfield, b. 16 Jan 1885 d. 12 Sep 1962 md Squire William Thornton
John Bottomfield, b. 6 May 1886 d. 27 Feb 1901
Charles E. Bottomfield, b. 10 Mar 1869 d. 13 Mar 1891
Laura Bottomfield

Annette Steele md. 2nd George Greenway, 4 Feb 1893 (b. 12 Jul 1839, Newbury, England, son of William Greenway and Hannah Knowles; d. 10 Nov 1920, Fillmore, Millard, Utah)

Their child:
Georgia Greenway, b. 24 Sep 1894, Fillmore d. 10 Jul 1983, Fillmore, md. 1st William Theron Brunson, 5 Aug 1914. md. 2nd Clinton Day, 25 Nov 1959

Children of William Theron Brunson and Georgia Greenway:
William George Brunson, b. 9 apr 1915 d. 12 Apr 1915, Fillmore
Theron Greenway Brunson, md. Lavon Johnson
Verle Lois Brunson, md. Alma Lloyd Zesiger
Thelma Maxine Brunson, md. 1st Kenneth Burt, md. 2nd Homer Oldfield
Grant Brunson, md. Ethel Anderson
Darlene Brunson, md. 1st Henry Flugrad md. 2nd John Howard Day
Milo Lavoy Brunson, md. Velma Bennett

William Theron Brunson, b. 28 Dec 1888, Fillmore, son of James William Brunson and Lois Warner, d. 22 Jul 1950, Fillmore

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 12:43PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply, I am on the right track. We would like to make contact with this branch in Utah, George Greenway(Greenaway) had two brothers, William & Robert. I am a decendant of William Greenaway.

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 8:35PM GMT
Surnames: Steele, Cope, Taylor
My thread is not exactly what you asked for but maybe I could fill in a few gaps.
My grandmother was Elsie May Steele. She was born 7 Jun 1895 and lived to be 96 years old. I lived with her much of my life and she talked often of family history. She was the eldest child of Thomas Steele and Emeline Taylor and was the grand daughter of Ephraim and Fanny Steele, Elizabeth's brother. One of Elsie's younger sister's was named Emily Annette after her father's Aunts. If anyone would be interested in filling in my part in this tree I would be glad to elaborate.
I was also told various family stories which may be true but may just be a bit fanciful. The stories come from Fanny Steele nee Cope who knew the whole family and so have a good chance of some basis of fact.

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 4:36PM GMT
My great grandmother was Annetta Steele. I am very interested in obtaining information about her family. I'm also reaching a dead end with info about her father and mother in law, William Greenway (b abt 1800 England) and Hannah Knowles (b 1804 in Yorkshire)

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 4:39PM GMT
This is the line I am also interested in pursuing. What other info can you share?

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Greenaway, Knowles, Steele
Please help me connect William Greenaway and Hannah Knowles with their parents or siblings. I am descended from their son George Greenway and Annetta Steele.

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 2:29PM GMT
As George Green(a)way was my Grandfather's Uncle, I can help you with this one.
George was born 12th July in Greenham near Newbury in Berkshire (as per birth certificate)
William was George's eldest brother and there was a younger one named Robert.
Sisters were born, but none survived to adulthood.

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 9:46PM GMT
thank you for this information. Do you have a copy of the birth certificate? Is there any more info on it?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic