Search for content in message boards

Gurneys

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 1:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Apr 2006 2:08AM GMT
I was told by several that Gurneys descend from Francis Cooke's line. I have found a few papers in local history books saying that my ggg Elijah Sortor Gurney is a descendant of Francis Cooke but I don't know if this is true. If you know anything I'd appreciate your help. This line has got me stuck. I can't find anything on Elijah Gurney's parents. I do know that Elijah was a state rep. for Missouri in the 1880s.

Any help appreciated,
Cassie
Townsend@Cameron.net

Re: Gurneys

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 2:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know about Francis Cooke, but my GURNEYS descend from Isaac ALLERTON'S daughter, Remember, who married Moses Maverick. Their daughter, Remember Maverick, married Edward Woodman. Their daughter Remember Woodman m. Thomas Perkins. Their daughter, Mary Perkins of Hingham, Massachusetts, b. 27 Mar 1700, m. 10 June 1718, Joseph GURNEY, b. 7 Mar 1697/8 Weymouth, Masssachusetts to Zachariah and Mary (Benson) Gurney. Zachariah GURNEY was b about 1660 in Weymouth, son of Richard and Rebecca (Taylor) GURNEY. This Richard was b. about 1630 in England, probably the son of John GURNEY who was known to have settled in Weymouth and Braintree, Massachusetts before 1641.

Most likely, your Elijah descends from the Gurney family origiating in Weymouth.

All the above information on the Gurneys is from The Gurney Family From Aaron to Zuinglius - A Genealogical Dictionary, Revised and Expoanded Edition by Jean Gurney Rigler, Honolulu, Hawaii 1994
per page

Find a board about a specific topic