Search for content in message boards

Immigration to Grand Manan

Immigration to Grand Manan

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morse, Tenan, Dorrs, Tibbett
Some of my ancestors from the Morse family moved from the Cherryfield area to Grand Manan Island in the early 1800's. Most of the family eventually moved back.I have no idea why they moved. Does anyone have any information on this time period to know if there was a large group that went?

Re: Immigration to Grand Manan

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 5:38PM GMT
Hi Janet,
The Morse family left the Stoughton, Ma area to go to Grand Manan. They settled on Frankland Island [now Whitehead] just off Grand Manan. They along with several other families including Sprague, Quinn,and Quigley came to Cherryfield mid 1840's.

Kathy Upton

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 12:33AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2014 8:16PM GMT
You need to check the years close. After the American Revolutionary War many loyalist moved to New Brunswick. In fact, my husband's family has many roots in MASS. From Boston, there were many ships that would go north along the coast looking for supplies. People were transplanted in Maine (which was part of MASS)to log and fish. These raw materials would be returned to Boston for the "king".

So you need to look at the years and look into local historical society to see if they have any information. There was a small a muesuem on Grand Manan with all kinds of shipping history and other items that have been documented.

I also believe if my mind is remembering correctly. At one time Grand Manan there was a border dispute and some people thought it should have belong to the USA. Grand Manan is beautiful and you can still see whales from some locations on the island.

In St. John, NB, there is an excellent martime musuem which really gave you a feel of that area and the people that lived near the sea.

You might want to check if any of your ancestors fought in the war and which side they were on. You might be surprised. We have an ancestors on both sides. :)

Hope this give you something to think about and some ideas...Revolutionary War Transplants, Seeking fortune, Whaling, or perhaps they had a relationship with a local family and with a death they moved back home.

It amazed me in the 1850's in Maine for our family, that a spouse died and within a short time they were remarried. Sometimes they had his and her children...and then theirs. I think a family need both a wife and a husband especially if there were any type of trade like fishing or shipping where the husband would be gone for awhile.

Good Luck..

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:36PM GMT
Thank you for your thoughtful answer to my query. while i already knew much of what you shared, I hadn't thought to see if any ancestors from the Morse family fought in the Revolution.I will try pursue that angle as my Coffin ancestors were all Loyalists. I did visit Grand Manan about 4 years ago. It is indeed very beautiful. I also met with the ladies at the local genealogical society and they were very helpful They even located the lot that my family owned while there. Thank you again. Janet

Posted: 10 Jun 2014 10:59PM GMT
John Morse (born 12 Feb 1769 Stoughton) and his wife Mary "Polly" Castle (married 12 Feb 1789 Stoughton) left Stoughton in 1790 when John's oxen were poisoned because he had voted for Stoughton to be a separate town. Apparently feelings ran very high in the community against it. John's father, John Sr, and his grandfather, Henry, were both soldiers in the local militia during the Revolutionary War. They participated in the siege of Boston and were at Dorchester Heights when the British evacuated Boston. At the time John left Stoughton, Grand Manan Island was claimed by both the British and the Americans so it was considered part of Massachusetts. The Massachusetts legislature was encouraging people to move north to the "Eastern Lands", as Maine was then called, to settle the lands. I know that John's daughter Mary married John Sprague and they settled in Milbridge. Her mother, Mary, lived with them and died sometime after the 1850 census. I assume that John Morse died on Whitehead or Grand Manan Island. John and Polly are my husband's 3rd great grandparents. If anyone knows Mary (Polly's) death date, please let me know. I have the record of that line going back to the 1500s in England and have John Morse's mother's line going back to medieval times -- mostly all sourced with reliable genealogical sources such as journals and vital records and town histories.

Roberta Rothwell
rothrjjm@hotmail.com

Posted: 11 Jun 2014 8:25PM GMT
Thank you so much for this information. I fine it most helpful in figuring out the why of why they went to Gran Manan.

Posted: 23 Jun 2014 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Morse
Roberta,
Let me look through a packet of papers that I have from Grand Manan to see if there is anything on John's death. I was there several years ago and the staff at the historical society was most helpful. John and Polly are my 5th great grand parents.
Janet Wahlberg
wjanet1946@gmail.com

Posted: 5 Aug 2014 11:31PM GMT
Since John and Mary "Polly" Morse left Canton, Mass circa 1792 I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where they went before they settled at Grand Manan. Their daughter, Amity was married in 1818 to James Price in St Andrew, New Brunswick. In the 1840s Amity and James Price, with several of their children, moved to Massachusetts, settling in Cambridge where they both died. When Amity died in 1857 at the age of 62, her husband, James Price, said she was born in Charlestown. She is not listed in the Charlestown MA vital records or church records. Some people speculate she was born in Charlestown, NH or VT (the town changed hands several times during a border dispute) but no one seems to have a primary source which confirms this. Does anyone know?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic