Search for content in message boards

Reuben Hamby

Reuben Hamby

Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Aug 2001 6:55AM GMT
Surnames: Hamby, Dyer, Mitchell
Need help searching the Hamby,Dyer and Mitchell families of Wilkes County,NC. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Reuben Hamby/Elizabeth Mitchell

Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2002 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hamby, Dyer, Mitchell
My Mitchells were in Wilkes County, NC during the mid 1700's and early 1800's. Actually some of them are probably still there to this day.

William Mitchell md. Abigail Wheeler about 1774 and had seven or eight children. I only have information on five of them. They are as follows;

Jonathan Mitchell b. ca. 1782 md. Gillie Watson 1803
Wheeler Mitchell b. ca. 1784 md. Mary "Polly" Watson 1808
Elizabeth Mitchell b. ca 1786 md. Reuben Hamby 1802
Sarah Mitchell b. ca. 1796 never married
William Mitchell III b. ca. 1798 md. Elizabeth Stonecipher 1818

Jonathan Mitchell is my ggggrandfather. He and Gillie had at least five children as follows;

Nancy Mitchell b. ca. 1805 md. Allen Church 1819
Anderson Mitchell b. ca. 1807 md. Charlotte Brown 1831
Susannah Mitchell b. ca. 1814 md. John W. Dyer 1831
Jesse Mitchell b. ca. 1815 md. Susannah Thompson 1837
James Mitchell b. ca. 1829 no record of marriage

Anderson and Lottie were my gggrandparents. They had eleven children one of which was Anderson Mitchell my ggrandfather. He married Mary Thornburg and they had five children. One of those five children was Anderson Wheeler Mitchell my grandfather. He married Pearl Moyer and they had eight children. The oldest, and my father, was Robert Anderson Mitchell. He married Ethel Reynolds and I am the only child of that marriage and as you can see my name is David Anderson Mitchell. My son is Todd Anderson Mitchell and his son is Brett Anderson Mitchell.

I would like to find out what the significance of the original Anderson name was back in Wilkes County, North Carolina.

If you have some questions regarding any of these people let me know and I will try to help.

Reuben Hamby

Posted: 2 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hamby, Mitchell, Dyer
Mr. Mitchell thanks for sharing your info on the Mitchell family of Wilkes County NC. Reuben and Mahala were my ggggrandparents. Do you know when and where Mahala died,where she is buried and who Reuben Hambys parents where? Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to share. I have some info on these two families so if I can be of help to you please let me know.
Thanks Again
Sue
Posted: 2 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2002 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Whitledge, Briggs
Could you give me any info on Jonathan Mitchell son of Wheeler from Wilkes Co. S.C. He married a Whitledge in Cape Girardeau, Mo. I belive he was my GG grandfather. 2nd. marrage to Matilda Caroline Briggs. Any thing you could tell me might help.
Thank you
Norma

Mary Thornburg

Monte Throneburg (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thornburg
(Wilkes Co circa 1850) Anderson Mitchell married "Lottie" Brown 1831. One of their 11 children, Anderson, married Mary Thornburg. Do you have any info on Mary's family? Some of my ancestors (Daniel, David, Eli ...) appear in Vigo Co IN 1830-1850 from Wilkes. I would greatly appreciate any info that led to a connection. Haven't run across Mitchell in my own family experience here in IN/IL. Thank you.

Mitchell Memories

Posted: 13 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell
Mr. Mitchell I read your response to the Query submitted by
Norma seeking info on her Mitchell line from Wilkes County
NC. Your response mentioned the book "Mitchell Memories"
would you please send me the address so that I can purchase a copy.

Thanks
Sue
Surnames: Mitchell, Whitledge, Briggs
Wheeler Mitchell was born, raised and died in Wilkes County, North Carolina. His father and mother were William and Abigail (Wheeler) Mitchell. They also had Jonathan, Elizabeth, Sarah and William Jr. plus probably two or three children of which I am unaware.

Wheeler and my ggg grandfather Jonathan married sisters. Wheeler married Mary (Polly) Watson and Jonathan married Gillie Watson both daughters of David and Mary (Hamby) Watson.

Wheeler and Mary (Watson) Mitchell had the following children eight children. William b. ca 1810, Gillie b. ca 1811, Sarah b. ca 1814, Madison b. ca 1820, David W. b. ca 1823, Beda b. ca 1824, Jonathan b. 2, Jan. 1826, and Mary b. ca 1833.

Jonathan was named after my ggg grandfather Jonathan Mitchell who was born in 1782.

Jonathan was four when the 1830 census was taken and in 1840 when he was fourteen his father, Wheeler, died. Jonathan traveled west to Cape Girardeau County, Missouri in 1848. There he married his first wife Narcissa Whitledge in 1852. Jonathan married Matilda Caroline Briggs in 1865.

You are truly fortunate to have available to you "Mitchell Memories 1728-1995" by Emma Mitchell Montgomery. If you are interested in obtaining a volume let me know and I'll give you her address. She does not have a computer so you will have to contact her via mail or telephone.

"Mitchell Memories" has extensive info on your Jonathan Mitchell his wives, children, etc. etc.
I have three books written about Reuben Hamby from Wilkes County NC., neither mentions anything about a relationship
between Reuben and Sarah. Reuben died 17 May 1872,near Hebbertsburg,Cumberland Co.Tennessee. He is buried there in
the Hamby Cemetery, however, his grave is not marked. I have no records indicating where Sarah is buried.

Elizabeth Mahala Mitchell married Reuben Hamby about 1802 in Wilkes County. Reuben Hamby was born 10 July, 1779 in Wilkes County. On 2 Feb., 1802 Elizabeth Mahala Mitchell obtained one hundred acres of land by way of North Carolina Grant No. 2511. Obviously she obtained the land prior to her marriage to Reuben. The land was located on the south side of the Yadkin River and joined land owned by her father William Mitchell.

On 5 Aug., 1806 Reuben and Elizabeth sold the land to John Hamby Sr. for $100 dollars. I Don't know if John Hamby Sr. is Reuben Hamby's father, brother or cousin. Certainly he was closely related and I think it would be worth investigating to see if it could be proven that he was Reuben's father.

In November of 1818 Elizabeth's father and mother, William and Abigail Mitchell deeded all their real and personal property to her and Reuben. The deed stated in part that "Reuben and his wife Elizabeth would keep William and Abigail in good decent food and raiment and otherwise treat us as becomes a Childs duty to parents which consideration all and singular the aforesaid Estate both Real and Personal.

The 1820 census of Wilkes County listed William and Abigail Mitchell in the home of Reuben and Elizabeth Hamby.

The 1830 census of Wilkes County listed William and Abigail Mitchell in the home but Elizabeth Hamby was not listed, apparently Elizabeth had died between 1820 and 1830.

In October of 1833 Reuben sold the realestate in Wilkes County and moved via wagon train (200 strong) to Cape Girardeau County Missouri. William and Abigail Mitchell died in Wilkes County after 1830 but prior to 1833.

Finally one last curious thing. Sarah Mitchell, Elizabeth's younger sister, lived with Reuben and Elizabeth for many years and after Elizabeth and her parents William and Abigail died Sarah Mitchell (unmarried) and her son Andrew Jackson Mitchell went to Missouri and on to TN. Sarah Mitchell lived with Reuben Hamby for the rest of her life as far as I know. I have no records that Reuben ever married again after Elizabeth died.

Do you have any info regarding the relationship of Sarah and Reuben?
Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Thornburgh
Mary Susan (Thornburg) Mitchell's parents were Benjamin Thornburgh and Susan Emmeline (Eaker) Thornburgh. Benjamin Thornburgh's parents were Ai Thornburgh and Mary (Lansdowne) Thornburg. Mary Lansdowne was only maybe from North Carolina but don't know that she was from Wilkes County. She was born about 1791 in NC(?).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions