Search for content in message boards

ROBERT CARROLL OF NY

ROBERT CARROLL OF NY

Anna Callaghan (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2000 1:37PM GMT
My name is Anna Callaghan, but I was born Shannon Marie Fay. In 1977, my mother, Sherry Ann Fay met a man named Robert Carroll. He was older and she didn't know him very well. She was 17 at the time young and stupid. She was a run away and together with friends, Sherry ran away from Schenectady, NY to marshal Texas. They lived there for a short while, a few months. Sherry and Robert had sexual relations even though there was an age difference. One day Sherry found out she was pregnant and she told Robert. Robert acted like nothing was different. He soon left Sherry and went back to New York.
My mother didn't know what to do. She was living in Texas, underage, on the run and pregnant. She called up some friends from Virginia Beach and went to live there for now. Finally when she was in her seventh or eighth month she called her mother. She was scared and didn't know what she was going to do. I was born Sept. 18th, 1978 at 10:15 p.m. in Bellevue hospital Niskayuna New York. My mother lived with her mother for about four or five months. Things got a little rocky between Sherry and her mother. Sherry ended up going back down to Virginia Beach with me. Keeping no contact with her parents and living on her own, things got really tough. I was a very sick baby, the doctors thought I had cystic fibrosis, also severe asthma. My mother was broke and basically I was living in a garage. My mother had no other choice, she went to Catholic social services and put me up for adoption. Within a month I was adopted and all the paperwork was through. Then my mother told my grandparents that their first grandchild was put up for adoption, when they heard the news they try to get me back but it was too late.
My birth family has never been the same since. Between my grandmother, my mother and my mother's four other sisters things would be different between them.
Relationships diminished and anger along with regret would fill their hearts.
when I was little I found out that I was adopted. And ever since I can remember I always wanted to know where I came from. I always on every birthday, looked up at the sky, and I would pick out a star and hope my mother was wishing on the same one. The song from "An American Tail," "Somewhere Out There" always swam through my mind when I thought of my mother and what could have been. I always wondered what was my name? Where did I come from? Who am I really?
In October 1999 I contacted on the Internet a girl who was searching for her biological parents. She was born Sept. 10 1978 in the same hospital. I thought there might have been some connection being that we were so close in our birthdate. she responded that she knew there was no connection but she did recall someone trying to find information about someone born on the 18th. She told me she would try to find that the e-mail address and get back to me. I gave her my phone number and about three months later on November 5th 1999 I came home from work and there was a message on my answering machine. It was the girl, "I think I got a match! I sent you a E-mail go check your computer! I'm not sure, but check the information you gave me and everything seems to be right!" I immediately went on the computer and I read her e-mail. As soon as I was finished, my mother, Sherry instant message me and we talked for short while until I had to call. We signed off and I called her, there was no mistake everything was correct. Now all I had to do was to meet her. I made arrangements with my boyfriend to drive up from Philadelphia, PA to Schenectady New York.
On November 7th 1999, I meet my mother for the second time. I also meet my little brother Kevin who is now 10, little sister Karlie who is 12, My 4 Aunts, Jody, Michelle, Pamela and Kristi. The most emotional reunion was with my grandmother, however. Tears of joy filled our eyes and our hearts. It was the best day of my entire life. This experience has made my life complete I now have a real family. When my mother put me up for adoption she only wanted the best for me. I know that. Although my life didn't turn out the way she had expected or even wanted I have no bad feelings or ill will towards her.she made the right choice at the time or so she thought.
my adoptive parents got divorced when I was 10 and I was in juvenile detention from the ages of 12 through 16. my adoptive parents said they didn't know what else to do, the same thing they said with my adopted older brother. My parents didn't mean to be wrong they just should not have been parents. I still speak to them, but it's more like a visitation once a month than a real relationship.
Now I just want to find my birth father, Robert Carroll. All I know is he was born between 1950- 1958 and that he was in jail in Huntsville, TX and was on parole when my mother meet him. I just want to meet him nothing more. I have no expectations I just want to meet the man who is my father. That too much to ask? Please help me find him. Thanks ~Anna

Re: ROBERT CARROLL OF NY

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anna....My brother was Robert E Carroll born Sept 7th 1951,we moved up to Warrensburg from Long Island in 1972. My brother was a troubled man...Drugs/Alcohol....may have spent time in Schenectady, I know he went to Albany often for drug treatment at times. Don,t know if there is a connection for you. I am Kathleen M Carroll Montgomery and I live in Glens Falls. Unfortunately, My brother died March 10th, 2008.....he has six children. Good luck with your search.........Cathy

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 3:38PM GMT
Hello Cathy,
A good friend of mine was surfing the internet and came across your posting here. Thank God he did, 12 years later, I don't even know what email address I used when I wrote this, never got the notification. Was your brother into motorcycles? That was one characteristic my Mother lead me to believe was apart of his life style, Drugs was definitely another. I am sorry to hear of his passing. Ironically I think I stopped searching around 2008. I would be interested to know possible kin. From what you say that he had 6 children, do you know all of them? DNA testing is rather inexpensive these days, I would like nothing more than to get some closure in my life. If you are willing to help me get that, please email me. ShannaDugan@yahoo.com

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Judy
Hi Cathy, I am so sorry to have gotten back to you so late. Unfortunately, I have been working on ancestry.com and have taken on a rather large project using not only family but extended family as well. Wow!
I was so sorry to have read about your brother. He must have suffered emotionally and physically for many years. I had been told stories by your mom about all the times he ran away as a young person. The entire family has been plagued with his problem for many years, some are hurt by it, and some do the hurting. However, I do see a change coming with each generation. Praise the Lord. Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic