Search for content in message boards

need help: 1901 Census > King Twp > George Middleton

need help: 1901 Census > King Twp > George Middleton

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 2:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Dec 2005 8:15PM GMT
I am researching George and Ann Jane Middleton, living at Markham in 1881, but registered birth of their son Archibald Joseph M. at King Twp. in 1888.

I am trying to find them in 1901 at King, but the needle in this haystack is difficult to find.

Can anyone suggest a directory, preferably online, which might give a more precise location at King to narrow down the search?

Thank you.

Michael Dwyer
(New York)

Re: need help: 1901 Census > King Twp > George Middleton

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 2:45AM GMT
As far as I know, there are neither online nor paper directories for King Township. The Canadiana Room of the Toronto Public Library has microfilm copies of some York County Directories, but they only list farmers and landowners, merchants, etc. They are only available for in-library use.

Grace Jewell
York County GenWeb Host

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 2:48PM GMT
Thank you, Grace, for your reply

Posted: 4 Jan 2003 5:04AM GMT
Surnames: MIDDLETON ,MARTIN,SCOTT
Michael D.: The GEORGE MIDDLETON you refer to died Aug 2, 1888 probably at Wolseley, Sask.. His wife was ANN JANE MARTIN .. The notes I have on Ann Jane Martin are as follows: "Mrs Ann Jane Middleton died at Lang, Sask.on April 10th.1922 from plural pneumonia. She was in her 79th year. She was a former resident of Wolseley district after coming from York County, Ontario in 1887 and settling North West of Wolseley with her son George,later going to Lang with her sons. Her husband predecesed her 34 years. She was the daughter of Captain Joseph Martin who served in the rebelion of 1837."
Notes on GEORGE MIDDLETON read: "The National Archives shows a George Middleton being granted SW30-17-10-W2nd at Wolseley, Sask. This land is adjacent to land granted to Roland Henry Scott who married George's daughter, Matilda Ann Middleton."
Sorry I am not able to come up with the original source of this information. My connection is to this family is through the Scotts. Roland Henry Scott is a brother of my Grandmother, Mary Emmeline Scott.
I can supply some information on descendants.
James Mack, Regina, Sask. Canada

Posted: 4 Jan 2003 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MIDDLETON, MARTIN
01-04-03

To: James Mack
Fr: Michael Dwyer

Dear James:

I am replying to your post, here at the York site, and also to your posting on the Middleton surname site, dated 01-03-03 (Re George Middleton - Reil Rebellion 1885)

Firstly, I do not know any of the answers to Sharon's or Sherrie's queries about their Middleton ancestors.

Nevertheless, I believe your Scott/Middleton family is indeed connected to my Middleton family.

My ggg-grandfather was Robert Middleton, who lived at Saxlingham, Norfolk, England, and was married to Martha Graver. They had 14 children. Among these was George Middleton.

According to the Saxlingham parish register, George Middleton was born on Nov 1, 1834, and baptized on Nov 9, 1834. In 1851, he appeared in the English census at Saxlingham, living with his parents, age 16, unmarried, occupation given as agricultural laborer. He then appears, in 1861, in the census at Markham Twp., Ontario, in the house of John Robinson, age given as 24, occupation servant.

To be found in the same census, also at Markham, was Ann Jane Martin, daughter of Major Joseph Martin (born co, Armagh, Ireland in 1803; died in 1874) and his wife, Matilda Stewart (born 1811; died 1847). Joseph and Matilda emigrated to Buttonville, Markham in 1837, and had the following children: Rebecca (1829-1917); Mary Ann (1831-?);
James (1833-?); Matilda (1835-?); Joseph (1837-?); Thomas (1840-1915); Elizabeth (1842-1926); and Ann Jane (1844-?).

Ontario Archives microfilm reel 1030068 records the marriage of George Middleton, age 24, born England, son of Robert and Martha Middleton to Ann I. Mortin (sic) age 17, born Markham Twp., daughter of Joseph and Matilda, married on March 27, 1861 at Markham Twp., Ontario.

According to the Wesleyan Baptismal Register, vol 3, p 218, Luther Twp., Wellington Co, William Henry Middleton, son of George and "Ann J. Middleton" was born on Dec 12, 1866, and baptized by Rev N.S. Burwash on Dec 17, 1866.

In the 1867 Wellington Co. Directory, is listed George Middleton, owning land in freehold, Lot 4, Concession 2. He appears in the same township as head of house in the 1871 census.

In the 1881 census at Markham is
George Middleton, 45
Jane Middleton, 37
Albert Middleton, 19
Matilda Middleton, 10
George Middleton, 8
Mary Middleton, 5
Rosy Middleton, 3
Norman Middleton, 2

Lastly, I have a birth registered by George Middleton, for Archibald Joseph Middleton, born at King Twp., on May 3, 1888, mother's name listed as Ann Jane Morton (sic). (Birth Cert # 041354-88, York County)

There the trail ended for me.

I hope this is of some interest. I would be happy to elaborate, if you have any questions about any of the particulars.

In closing, I would very much appreciate any information you can provide about descendants of George and Ann Jane Middleton.

Thank you.

Michael Dwyer

Re: You do not know of George Middleton's ancestry?

Posted: 4 Jan 2003 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2003 12:04AM GMT
The George Middleton I have come across was born in about Oct. 1847, and was the son of General Frederick Middleton. I am not sure who the George was who you, and James are referring to, as I know of no others, but there may be some connection, so who knows? I have also come across other relations of the General in Canada when I had thought there were none.

Re: You do not know of George Middleton's ancestry?

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 12:59AM GMT
Yes I do know George Middleton's ancestry.

As I wrote in my earlier posting: George Middleton (who married Ann Jane Martin) was born in 1834, and was the son of Robert Middleton and Martha Graver, of Norfolk England.

The George Middleton to whom I refer is unquestionably not the son of General Frederick Middleton, nor any relation at all.

Nevertheless, it is possible that other men named George Middleton are related to General Middleton....just not this one.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions