Search for content in message boards

Joseph Quinn

Joseph Quinn

Phyllis (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2000 7:29PM GMT
Looking for ancestors Joseph Quinn m Deborah Ann Harrison Dement lived in '
Ann Harrison Dement, lived in Shelbyville,Ind and then to Iowa.

Re: Joseph Quinn

Posted: 23 Jan 2003 8:22PM GMT
I too am looking for ancestry on Joseph Quinn who m. Deborah Harrison. I have Joseph Quinn's birth as 4/19/1799, in Virginia, and that his father came from Ireland and fought in the Rev War. The story goes that Joseph married Deborah Harrison, who is niece to William Henry Harrison, 9th Pres., but I can't figure out which brother of WH Harrison is her father - Carter Basstt Harrison had two wives, but one one son, and Banjamin Harrison (also supposedly a brother) also had two wives, but I cannot find the childrens' listing. In fact I'm looking to validate the Harrison side of the family, but I also want to find record of Joseph Quinn, who with Deborah Harrison sired Elizabeth Quinn, who married Ransom Bishop, perhaps in Shelby Co., Iowa (approx 1843) They had 7 kids, of who Hester Anne Bishop (b. 6/3/1847, Indiana) was my gggrandmother.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jackie McMillan (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2004 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
I too am looking into the Quinn family. Mary Louisa Bishop, oldest child of Ransom and Elizabeth, was my gg -grandmother. Found the marriage record of Ransom Bishop and Elizabeth Quinn in Shelby Co., Indiana. Recorded as October 31, 1844.

sara swanson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2004 4:19PM GMT
Well hello potential distant cousin 7 times removed, or what have you. I don't have the lineage papers in front of me, but from what I recall, this sounds like a match. When I get time later this week, I will go back to my papers and see what the line of decent and ascent is, then will reply again. Whew! Glad someone is out there!

Jackie McMillan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2004 7:47PM GMT
Thanks for responding, Sara! I have some information on the Bishop children, but very little on their Quinn pedigree. Any help you can give me will be most appreciated.

sara (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2004 9:18PM GMT
Ok, here's what I know from a book written by Cora Read Bardrick, who was my mother's mother's father's sister. She wrote that her mother, my great great grandmother, was Hester Anne Bishop (b.6/3/1847 IN., near Pern, IA.), and her father was Zachariah Samuel Read (b.9/25/1845, Eggington, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England). Hester had several siblings: Pricilla, Etta, Caroline, Lide, Martin and Lemuel. Hester's parents were Ransom Bishop and Elizabeth Quinn Bishop, and the only info I have on them is that they were married 10/31/1843 in Shelby County, IN. Cora goes on to write that Elizabeth's parents were Joseph Quinn (b.4/19/1799 in Virginia, may have died in 1875, and lived in Circleville, OH and in IN), and Deborah Harrison (it might be Deborah Ann Harrison Dement)(m. 1825), who was perhaps the daughter of Carter Bassett Harrison and Mary Anne Sutherford, and that Carter's brother was William Henry Harrison, the 9th President of US. Going back to Elizabeth Quinn Bishop, her father's father was another Quinn (not certain of first name, maybe Samuel), who was born in Ireland and fought in the Revolutionary War, settled in VA, may have married a Mary Wilson and may have had a brother James. These Mr. Quinns' father was another Quinn who supposedly had 2 uncles with land in Australia and Ireland. That's all she wrote on that side of the family.

Do you think we are referring to the same family? My efforts are towards trying to prove the lineage back to both the Harrison's and to the Quinn's - I've been told thru the family grapevine that I could register as DAR (Daughter of the American Revolution), but I wanted to prove it myself. Anyway, I wanted to find out if this potential connection to the Harrison's and Quinn's was real. If you have any idea/info if it is so, please let me know. Hope I was of help to you.

dee mombit (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2005 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Sutherland, Ramsey, Irwin, Thornton, McClung, Fitzhugh, Findlay
You have mixed up two different Carter Bassett Harrisons. In actuality, there were three CBH's. The CBH (2) who was married to Mary Anne Sutherland (1814/1893) was the SON of William Henry Harrison. He was born 10-26-1811, married 6-16-1836, and died 8-12-1839. CBH (1) might have been WHH's brother. And there was a nephew of WHH's also named CBH (3).

Also, some places show CBH (2) and MAS having a daughter named Anna Carter Harrison (1837/unknown) who married a David Waddle McClurg (12-18-1831/unknown). ACH and DWM had a daughter named Anne Harrison McClurg (bd\dd unknown) who married Thornton Fitzhugh (1864/unknown) in 1888. They apparently had a son named James McClung Fitzhugh (bd/dd: unknown) who died unmarried.

From somewhere appeared Anna Harrison Thornton (1835/1-17-1883) who was the daughter of CBH (2)'s sister Mary Symmes Harrison (1-22-1809/unknown) who married a Lee Mason Fitzhugh (1838/unknown) and begat some children together: Thornton Fitzhugh (1864/unknown), George Lee Fitzhugh (1866/1891), Charles Harrison Fitzhugh (1868/1869), Anna Thornton Fitzhugh (1873/unknown unmarried), and Lee Mason Fitzhugh (1876/unknown unmarried).

Whew!!! It sure can get confusing when these prominent families name their kids practically the same names. And even worse when they start marrying their first and second cousins who already have similar names. AHT just popped up on my radar screen when I was trying to give the info I'd found. I had to go back and find out who she was!! Imagine my surprise when I found out that she was CBH (2)'s niece!

BTW, I read an interesting history of the close friendship between the William H. Harrison family and those of the Sutherland, Ramsey, Irwin, and Findlay families. Nancy Ramsey became the 3rd wife of John Sutherland and MAS is their daughter. Mary Ramsey (Nancy's sister) married Archibald Irwin and they parented Elizabeth Irwin who married John Scott Harrison CBH (2)'s brother. Their son, Benjamin Harrison (the kazillionth), became 11th president of the U.S., following in the footsteps of his grandfather, WHH. Their other daughter, Jane Irwin (1804/unknown) also married well in 1824, when she tied the knot with William Henry HARRISON Jr. (1802/1838), another son of our 9th President.

Evidently, the Irwin girls (Nancy's nieces) met the Harrision boys at the Sutherland's home in North Bend, OH, and went off happily into the sunset and history.

The story that I read was very informative since it finally gave me the info that Nancy Ramsey and John Sutherland were MAS's parents. And I found all about the Irwin and Findlay familes as well as the Ramseys. It's amazing to be able to tie some threads together just by reading everything that I can. I've been looking for the parents of MAS for over three years. And this chance reading of an unfamiliar web site was a treasure trove. I'm not really sure whether it is a compilation or from one source. I just found it yesterday and am planning on contacting the web site owner.

Anyway, hope you've enjoyed this! If anyone has anymore about MAS and CBH (2) to share, please let me know at redcat@dmombit.com.

Thanks!

dmt

dee moombit (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2005 4:30AM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Sutherland, Ramsey, Irwin, McClung, Thornton, Fitzhugh, Findlay
Whoops!

I just noticed an error in this part of the previous post:

"Also, some places show CBH (2) and MAS having a daughter named Anna Carter Harrison (1837/unknown) who married a David Waddle McClurg (12-18-1831/unknown). "

The poor man's name was David Waddle McClung and not McClurg as I accidentally typed.

Sorry about that faulty spell checker in my brain! LOL!

dmt

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Quinn, Harsin
Your post was old, so maybe you have all this figured out already, but Elizabeth Quinn's (who married Ransom Bishop)
parents were Joseph Quinn and Deborah Ann HARSIN, not Harrison. Deborah Ann's first husband was Samuel Dement.
Joseph and Deborah Ann Harsin Quinn were in Ringgold County Iowa by the 1856 Iowa Census and appeared there on the 1860 and 1870 US Census. Some researchers have them dying in Shannon City IA in 1886 and 1885, respectively, but I have not found the records yet. I am descended from the Harsin side and have lots of information on them, but only know the Quinns through Joseph's marriage to Deborah Ann Harsin.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions