Search for content in message boards

HUNTER - Greene Delaware Co's NY Michigan

HUNTER - Greene Delaware Co's NY Michigan

Elaine Scott (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2000 6:13PM GMT
Searching for descendants of Merlin Pheobe HUNTER. Merlin's father was possibly named Daniel. Birthdate Apr 1782 and died @ Croton Twp MI 1855. Phoebe b. 1782 (?) d. 1859 @ Croton Tp MI. Children were: #1 Elizabeth b 1805 d. 1858 @ Croton Tp. She m. Martin TIFT b. 1807 NY d. 1881 @ Croton Tp. Child #2 William HUNTER b. 1808. Mar. 3 time 1/ Dolly ? 2/ Lucena JOHNSON 3/ Sarah BYERS Child #3 Susan HUNTER b. 1812 mar. 1st h. Daniel BARBER 2nd h George LEATHERS both died Kent Co MI Child #4 Harrison HUNTER b. ca. 1813 mar. Lydia CHURCH of Ottawa Co MI. Child #5 Phebe HUNTER b. 1821 d. 1853 mar. Cyrus Pitt DEMING. They res. Kalalmazoo Co MI until her death and their four child were placed in a relatives guardianship. I have further info on them. I have extensive info on all lineages mentioned above. Anyone interested please email me: wendeesue@yahoo.com or
wendeescott@thinkextreme.net I am happy to share :)

Re: HUNTER - Greene Delaware Co's NY Michigan

Posted: 12 Jul 2001 6:45AM GMT
I can't say with certainty that Merlin is a descendant of Daniel Hunter and Susanna Chamberlain of Amenia, NY (1790 census) then later of Colchester, Delaware Co., NY (1800 census); but I think it very probable. Daniel was among the first to settle in the area of Colchester after the Revolutionary War. I'm still researching this family, but so far I have children listed as Arnold b. 1778, Ovilla b. 1780, (possibly)Merlin b. 1782, and Daniel, Jr. born 1784. The time frame of his birth is about right. Daniel and Susanna were married in Amenia, Dutchess Co., NY Sept 16, 1773. Daniel is believed to have been a soldier during the war. Further, it is believed he is of Scottish descent -- but more research needs to be done. Also, the fact that you list one of Merlin's children as Susan further suggests a link to Susanna Chamberlain. You can see my tree on Rootsweb.com.

Elaine HARIG (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2001 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HUNTER / TIFT / BARBER / DEMING / CHURCH
Thank you for the info. It's been a big help. I will check out the family tree. I haven't had much to go on and not many family members left in MI related to Merlin's descendants. I will keep in touch. :)

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER
Any inquiries concerning the above surnames, I will be happy to answer. I do have a new email address though. Thank you, Elaine Scott Harig
harrys63@pathwaynet.com
All inquiries welcome.

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 6:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
I am trying to link our families together as it makes sense with Merlin being such an uncommon name. My Grandmother's father was Merlin Hunter, though formally named John von Merlin Hunter b. either 27Oct1857 in Luther, MI, or 12Feb1858 in Ludington, MI. He was married twice and eventually died in WI. He father is supposedly Fred Hunter, but that could have been a middle name. We do know that Merlin had a sister whose name was either Maude or Alice nad she married a Wedge from Rhinelander, WI. In Merlin's first marriage, he had three children, Bill, Maude and a third child. His children through his second marriage are Fred, Edward, Jeff, Dorothy, Harry, Merlin, Verna, Donald, and Edna. If you see any links, please, let me know. Thank you for your help!

Lisa Webb

Lisa Webb (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2003 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: hunter
I am very interested in what you may know about William Hunter, son of Merlin Hunter. Please, reply to this or email so we can exchange information. thank you!

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 1:30AM GMT
Tried your email, but got a bounce back. Interested in what you know of Susan Hunter, daughter of Merlin/Phebe, who married Daniel Barber and later George Leathers. She and Daniel had a child they raised named Sarah Peak from at least the age of 5 - do you know how they came to have her? They didn't ever have any other children that I can tell. Other information that may help me figure it out: where/when Susan and Daniel married, when Susan died. My husband is descended from Sarah. As adoptive parents ourselves, we consider Susan and Daniel to be Sarah's parents, the ones who shaped who she became, so I track genealogy for the two of them. But genetically, I'm interested in including Sarah's biological line as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic