Search for content in message boards

Descendent of John Brown of Priesthill, Ayrshire, Scotland

Descendent of John Brown of Priesthill, Ayrshire, Scotland

Janice Oakes (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
My family records indicate that I am descended from John Brown and Isabel Wier of Priesthill, Ayrshire, Scotland. John Brown of Priesthill, Ayrshire, Scotland was born in 1626 and died May 1st, 1685. John Brown was a Presbyterian and had subscribed the Covenant. I have a book that tells the story of his death at the hands of Lord John Graham, of Claverhouse in front of his wife and children. The purpose of my message is to get verification of the facts pertaining to John Brown and to find out if there still remains a monument that could be visited should I make a trip to Ayshire, Scotland. My family record states that a monument was erected beside the grave that the inscription is, "This monument was erected, and the adjoining grave of John Brown enclosed, by money collected at a sermon by the Rev. John Milwaine, on August 28, 1825, in commemoration of the Martyrs."
I know that John's wife, Isabel eventually moved to Ireland where it is said she remarried. The sons of John Brown, John and James emigrated to America from Ireland in 1720 and settled in Dauphin County, (then Lancaster County) Pennsylvania. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Covenanter - John Brown of Priesthill

bob guthrie (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hello Janice,
The monument to John Brown still stands proudly nearby to the farm of Priesthill in Muirkirk , Ayrshire . I will send a JPEG photo by e-mail . The Scottish Covenanters Memorial Association do a great job in maintaining the monuments throughout Scotland .
best wishes
bob guthrie

John Brown of Priesthill

Janice Oakes (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Bob,

I am truly grateful for the lovely photos and the information a about my ancestor, John Brown of Priesthill. I am indeed proud and quite humbled to have come from such a revered person as he.

Response to Don McLean

Jan Oakes (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: John Brown of Priesthill
Hi Don,

Thanks for writing. It has been so exciting to learn of the proud heritage we share. I am very interested in learning as much as I can about John Brown's extended family. I appreciate the address of Sam Gibson. I will definitely write to him. I have a picture on my computer of the monument to John Brown. The picture was sent to me by a contact I made through this website who lives near Ayrshire, Scotland. If you're interested in seeing it, I'll try to forward it to you by email. Happy Holidays to you and yours. Jan Oakes

John Brown

Don McLean (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Welcome to the family, I'm descended from Alexander Brown,Johns cousin. Another distant cousin in the States,
Sam Gibson is presently publishing a list of descendents.He has around 5000 listed. If you wish to contact him,write to him at: P.O. Box 834,Artesia CA 90702, USA. He would love any additional information. Best Wishes Don McLean

Happy Christmas everyone

John Brown

Don McLean (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Jan,
Many thanks for your message. Do hope you had a good Christmas. Re the photo, many thanks, but two or three years ago, I walked across the Moors to the Grave of John Brown. Write as soon as you can to Sam, as he keeps promising to publish his findings, but then has to put it back as he has received more information. Would be interested in your line,if I could have a copy,that would be great.

Happy New Year

Don

John Brown

Don McLean (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Jan,
Many thanks for your message. Do hope you had a good Christmas. Re the photo, many thanks, but two or three years ago, I walked across the Moors to the Grave of John Brown. Write as soon as you can to Sam, as he keeps promising to publish his findings, but then has to put it back as he has received more information.

Happy New Year

Don

John Brown and Alexander

Judy Brown (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2002 9:26PM GMT
Hello, I am wondering if you have in your records a Peter Brown who would have been the son of John Brown or Alexander Brown, of Ayr. Peter is my ggg grandfather and came to the states in 1810. Whether or not he came with anyone or not, we don't know, but his birthdate was probably around 1793 based on the information given on the tombstone.

There is a Peter Brown born 1793 (or 92) in records from Stewarton. This person is the son of an Alexander Brown who is the son of a John Brown.

However, the family seems to stay there until the early 1800's and then does not show up again.

It is possible he went to Ireland first and then to the USA. When he arrived he went to the area of New York, Pennsylvania and finally Baltimore. There he married Sarah
Foster and they settled in Greene County , Tenn.
He died at a young age, ca. 44.
His death is listed as 1837. He received his citizenship in 1823.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to attend a seminar led by a man named Larry Brown who was from California. This man looked so much like my father and uncles that I got the courage to go up and ask him where he was from. He said his first ancestor over in this country was an Alexander Brown and settled in the Pennsylvania area.

Do you have any information on this family of Alexander, or on Peter?

Thank you.
Judy Brown

Re: John Brown and Alexander

Don McLean (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2002 9:49AM GMT
Hi, Thanks for the message. I have been involved,albeit in a small way, with helping Sam Gibson of Ca. compile a list of the decendents of John and Alexander Brown (who were cousins) both were involved as Covenantors back in 1680s. John being shot! I believe John's sons moved to the States when they were older. Sam has now submitted his list to the Mormon Church, who will be publishing a mircofisch later in the year. There are over 9000 names of direct decendents and around 3000 others. I suggested that you ask for this listing. There is a good chance that there is a connection , especially with the Ayrshire connection, both lived on the Ayrshire/Lanarkshire borders and its interesting to note the
names, although saying that ,they were both common names. When I have more time, I'll have a look through my book.

If you require any further information, please ask.

Cheers
Don

Re: Response to Don McLean

Don McLean (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2002 10:25AM GMT
Hi, Had phone call from Sam Gibson yesterday. He is now publishing the listing of the Brown's on mircofisch, but wouud appreciate you getting in contact.

Cheers
Don McLean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions