Search for content in message boards

James Farrell b 1853, spouse Annie Corbett b 1854

James Farrell b 1853, spouse Annie Corbett b 1854

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 3:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farrell, Corbett
My greatgrandparents are James Farrell b1853 and Annie Corbett b 1859. My grandfather was James Leo Farrell b. 1889 in Almonte Ontario. I am trying to determine if my great grandparents were born in Ireland or Canada and where. I am also trying to locate their graves which I believe are in the Lanark area in Ontario Canada. I would like to know the names of their parents and siblings. I do have the names of their children: Minny, Willliam, Annie, Thomas Edward and my grandfather James Leo. Thank you for sharing your information with me.

Re: James Farrell b 1853, spouse Annie Corbett b 1854

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 6:03AM GMT
1891 census Almonte Town Lanark

Gives birth place of both James and Annie as Ontario with both sets of their parents being born in Ireland.

Marriage:
James Farrell, 27, b Canada, living West Huntley, carpenter, s/o Peter Farrell & Mary Farrell, married Ann Corbitt,25, b Canada, living West Huntely, d/o William & Catharine Corbitt, witn: William Corbitt of W Huntley & Catharine Whelan of same, 27 January 1881, West Huntley, Carleton. Registration # 001773.

This MAY be the Corbitts on 1861 census
Huntley Carleton Canada West
CORBIT
William, farmer, Ireland, RC, 50, married
Hugh, Ireland, 24
Michael, Ireland, 22
James, Upper Canada, 12
Catharine, Ireland, 50, married
Mary, UC, 16
John, UC, 10
Margaret, UC ,18
May Dwyer, UC, 4.
All Roman Catholic. All born Canada except for the ones stated born Ireland.

1871 census Huntley Carleton Ontario
CORBITT
William, 60, Ireland
Catharine, 60, Ireland
Michael, 30, Ireland
Mary 26, Ont
James, 25, Ont
Anne, 23, Ont

1881 census Huntley Carleton
CORBITT
William, 70, Ireland, farmer
Catharine,70, Ireland
Farrell,James, 28, Ont, farm labourer
Farrell,Ann, 30, Ont

Think William and Catharine Corbitt must have died between 1881 and 1891 census but I did not find any death registratons for them.

Michael Corbitt married Mary Lynch 10 June 1874 Carleton.

This is James' death but hs mother is listed as Catharine, not Mary as given on his marriage registration. Daughter was informant and I checked her marriage to McKivett and her parents were listed as James Farrell and Ann Corbitt.

Death
James Farrell, 88, widower, retired, s/o Peter Farrell and Catharine McGuire both b Ireland, died 24 May 1938 of nephritis/odema of lungs, informant: Mrs Michael McKivett,daughter, of Almonte. Burial: RC Cemetery at Almonte, Registration # 021097.

Did not find death registration for Anne.

A Peter Farrell died March 1871, aged 57, b Ireland, Roman Catholic but his widow was Bridget.

The RC cemetery at Almonte is online at this site:
http://www.gravemarkers.ca/ontario/eastont/lanark/ramsay/alm...

Ann Corbett, died 21 Aug 1933, aged 83, wife of James Farrell.
They are in Secion 9.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 11:25AM GMT
Many thanks for your very generous response to my query. I have previously viewed all of these records you refer to and have been hesitant to accept them as my great grandparents as my great grandmother's name is spelled Corbett for certain, not Corbit or Corbit. I have also viewed the gravemarker you refer to, and the name on it is CORERT not Corbett. So once again, I am hesitant to accept this as my relative. Different mothers listed for James (Mary vs Catherine) also made me hesitant. I am pleased that you make the same findings and POSSIBLE connections. But I am still hesitant to accept these as my family. So, where does this leave me? Oral tradition amongst relatives who are alll now deceased have my greatgrandather born Ireland...

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 7:39PM GMT
I would not take the different spellings of Corbett as not being your people.
Enumerators spelt names whichever way they wanted to as lots of people couldn't read or write.
The name on the headstone is Corert as you say but it also looks like it is handcarved. Maybe they just didn't have enough room! Looks like somebody mistook the B for an R.

Regardless I think it is Ann Corbett who married James Farrell.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 7:43PM GMT
An example of messing up names on census.

My grandfather's name was Albert Pelling.
Enumerator had him entered as Robert Pilling.
Good job I knew where he lived and his names of his kids.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: Sargent or Farrell
To ___________? Thank you for your encouragement. I have sent out another query, this one about my grandfather's sister Mary C. Sargent thinking that if someone has researched her tree, then that would give me info about my greatgrandparents. Mary C. is the one name of a sibling of my grandfather that I know of for certain. Her daughter was Bernadette, and I was named after her. I have the link to her tombstone in Malloch Road Cemetery in Arnprior. Her husband was Joseph Sargent.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:55AM GMT
Marriage:
Joseph Sargeant, 38, b Almonte, living Arnprior, laborer, s/o Matthew Sergeant & Mary Pabin?, married Catherine C Farrell, 21, b Almonte, living Arnprior, d/o James Farrell & Ann Corbet, 28 April 1902 Lanark.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 8:15PM GMT
Me again with another idea.
On the headstone it says that Ann Co???? died 21 August 1933.
Get her long death registration and it should have the names of parents on it.
I looked on Ancestry.ca and it is not listed but James who died in 1938 is on it.
Also you could check with the cemetery and see what information they have re her burial.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 8:24PM GMT
Thank you once again for the suggestions.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 2:45AM GMT
Hello, again,
I have been doing some more searching and I am now tending to agree with you that the Ann Corbett spelled the different ways that we are finding is one and the same person and is most likely my great grandmother, and that the Peter and Catharine Corbett we have also found, who were at one point living with James and Annie Farrell are Annie's parents and there fore my great great grandparents. The McEvitt name on my greatgrandfather's death certificate for the informant which also says daughter, jarred me at first because the name did not register with me, but I know now that she was married, widowed and remarried and McEvitt is her second married name so that is indeed his daughter.
I have been hearing stories from others of names being misspelled even worse than what I am finding in my own searches, so I am learning to not only accept deviations but to look for them! Thank you again for your encouragement!
Bernadette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic