Search for content in message boards

Haley's in Bourbon, Pendleton and Harrison Counties Ky

Haley's in Bourbon, Pendleton and Harrison Counties Ky

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
This might be long and I will apologize ahead of time. I have just returned from spending a week in these three counties and going thru records. I was looking for records for Marsh Haley, Katie Titwit, Absolom Haley, Joseph Sowder Haley, George Washington Sowder Haley, Mary Elizabeth Porter, Betsy Sowder and Sarah Connors Jones. I only had a paper to go on from my great Uncle Shirley, son of James Haley, son of Joseph Haley in which he said that Marsh Haley and Katie Titwit came from Ireland and that Absolom Haley was their son. I went to Kentucky knowing that Absolom was the father of George Washington Haley and Joseph Sowder Haley and Besty Sowder was their mother. That Joseph went by the Sowder name, most of the time and George by the Haley name. I knew that James Haley went by Sowder in Kentucky and Haley in Indiana and married Cordila Haley and they had nine children, one of which was my grandfather, Morton Haley. I have never found anything on Marsh or Katie. Thus the trip to Kentucky. I read paper after paper and went thru Edward Barton microfishe and this is what I have found. Absolom and Betsy never married and for some reason she left him and moved with four children to a 1200 acre farm she bought on Crooked Creek around Berry, Ky., apparently she did marry John Conyers and had two sons. George died on this farm and is buried next to it [we looked for it and could not find the cemetery, am going back when it is colder, it looked snakey there] per Joesph Jefferson Sowder, Joseph's son.
On a paper in the Barton files Joe Jeff Sowder who lived in Boyd on Feb.8, 1938 list the name Haley and list them as 1. Marsh lived at Shawhau Sta.[could mean Station],2.Abner, which is what everyone called Absolom, 3. Fannie, who lived at Shawhau Sta., never married but had a daughter named Josie who married John Smith of Bourbon County, 4. Nancy who also lived at Shawhau Sta., she also never married. So now I know that Marsh Haley really existed. If anyone has any information on Marsh, Katie, or anyone else or can help me by telling me where Shawhau Station is I would appreicate it. Thanks

Re: Haley's in Bourbon, Pendleton and Harrison Counties Ky

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT
Hi Joyce,
We corresponded once before about the the Haley family in KY. I was looking into the Shawhau question. Is it possible that the documentaiton was rerferring to SHAWHAN?
there is a Shawhan, KY in Harrison Co. just north or Cynthiana and about 7 miles from Berry. That puts Shawhan in the exact vivinity of these family members.
Amy

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 9:48PM GMT
Hi Amy, yeah you are right. I couldn't make out Shawhan on the Barton Papers, the n looked like a u. Me, still looking for Marsh Haley whom I have been told lived in Shawhan with his two daughters, Fanny and Nancy. His son, Absolum lived with Betsy Sowder and they had 4 son's. Their son' Joseph and George Washington are my gggrandfathers. If you find or hear any thing I would appreciate the help and the info. Thanks again for the help.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:59PM GMT
hello amy and joyce by the looks of things we are related i came through the line with dortheia. i was just wondering if either of you knw who married mary e haley porter and who actually is james haley who married cordelia. thanks for the info

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 1:01AM GMT
Hi my name is Joyce Haley-Davidson and if I am right my grandfather Morton Haley and your grandmother Dorthia was his sister and they were the children of James and Cordelia Haley, our ggrandparents. You were asking about Mary E Haley Porter, I believe you are taking about our gggrandmother Mary Elizabeth Porter Haley who was married to our gggrandfatherJoseph Haley-Sowder. Back in the early 1800's our ggggrandfather Absolum Haley lived with a woman named Elizabeth {Betsy] Sowder, they never married, but they had four sons, George Washington, Joseph, Lewis and William Henry. George took Haley his father's last name as did Lewis. Joseph and William took their mothers last name Sowder. Joseph was the father of James F Haley, when he lived in Kentucky James went by the last name of Sowder, but when they moved to Indiana he had the family use the Haley name. He married Cordelia Haley,in Kentucky,who was the daughter of George which made them first cousins. I have been to Pendleton, Bourbon and Harrison Counties twice and am going back this week to look some more and to meet a Sowder cousin who is going to take me to the gravesite of Joseph and Mary. I am hoping to find more information on Absolum our gggrandfather and on Marsh Haley our gggggrandfather who is supposed to have lived in a place called Shawhan Station in the 1800's and quite possibly died there, so I am going there. Marc are you related to the Rigby's in Greensburg? My father was Loren Haley, he was the oldest child of Morton and Carrie Lawrence Haley. I don't know if I am making any sense, but if I can help you I am more than willing to help. My email address is joyce.davidson@hotmail.com please feel free to contact me anytime. Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 2:30AM GMT
yes joyce i am related to the rigbys in greensburg. my grand mother was dorthiea. they had a clan to say the least lol
my dad is the third son 8th child overall. i am the 7th of 9 children of his. i currently live in georgetown ky was planing on going to cynthianiana this week since im on shut down pit car troubles. right now i just need dates of birth n deathes joeps lewis and william. i to need info bout mary porter hopefully her dad is robert. u can contact me marcrigby81@yahoo.com. i did have contact with a lois wiegman few years back but hadnt heard anything since.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 4:27AM GMT
So glad to hear from you so soon. I am the 6th of 10 kids in our family, seven boys and three girls and I was born in Greensburg. My Dad was the 1st of 11 kids. I am sorry you are having car trouble, because we could have met in Cynthiana this week, I am hoping to be there Thursday afternoon. If I am not mistaken Mary Porter's father's name is Robert. I will check to make sure. Lois is my cousin,but we lived so far apart that we never got to see each other, her dad Earnest, we called him Pooch, was my dad's brother and she lives about 40 miles from me in Ft Wayne. Since you are on Ancestry.com go to my family site, it is just called Haley Family and you are welcome to copy the names and dates that you need. If I can help I will be more than glad to help. Hope someday we can meet, as I have met Lois and her sister Brenda, plus Sandy Simpson who was a Sowder. It is fun to meet family even if they are distant cousins. Take care and if I find anything else out that will help us I will let you know.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 4:37AM GMT
thanks for replying n yes it is fun to find distant family. heck i even started taking to one that is very far removed that is still in Pennsylvania. i cant get on ur site since i am not apaid member on here yet but that is what i plan when extra money rolls in. so do you have any info bout the mollie brunner that married franklin. that is out grandparents grandparents.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 1:02PM GMT
MARC
Mary E Porter Haley was my gggrandmother and I am the ggranddaughter of Joseph Sowder(Haley). Mary's father is Robert.
Since you are so close, we are having a Sowder family reunion this Saturday near Falmouth, KY (which Joyce Davidson is attending) that you are more than welcome to attend. Also I can take you to the cememtary where Joseph and Mary are buried as I will be taking JOyce there on Friday.
When I saw the name Rigby I got very excited because I have a Rigby in my tree already so I am assuming its your group. I don't have my info here with me to look at.

If you are interested in coming to the reunion let me know and I will give you the directions.
Sandy-simpson@hughes.net I live in Harrison County on the Pendleton-Harrison county line and there are lots of us on my side as well. My grandfather was Ferdinand Sowder 1890-1970.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 1:06PM GMT
Joyce
There is a Shawhan in Bourbon county and there is the KEiser station as well. There is a Shawhan road in Harrison county. A very short road and its not anywhere's near where our people lived.
I beleive they are talking about the one in Bourbon Co. It is near the Harrison County and Bourbon County line. I am not sure where the Keiser Station is but am confident that it is in Bourbon County.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic