Search for content in message boards

Mrs. Melvin D. (Mary Grabow) Birch

Mrs. Melvin D. (Mary Grabow) Birch

Posted: 24 Sep 2001 1:59AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Rummel, Grabow, Birch, Volk, Walls, Wells, Schroeder
Mrs. Melvin D. (Mary Grabow) Birch, 73, 3851 Andrea St., formerly of Westminster, Colo., died after an extended illness at 7:30 a.m. Sunday, April 19, 1998, at the Finley Hospital.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Columbkille's Catholic Church, with burial in Linwood Cemetery. Friends may call from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Dennis Kitchen Funeral Home, 3860 Asbury Road, where there will be a parish Christian wake service at 4 p.m.
Mrs. Birch was an elementary school teacher at Sunset Ridge Elementary School in Westminster for 25 years, retiring in 1982.
She was born on Nov. 6, 1924, in Dubuque, daughter of Carl and Mildred (Rummel) Grabow. She married Melvin D. Birch on Oct. 2, 1948, at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Dubuque.
She grew up in Dubuque and graduated from the former St. Columbkille's High School in 1942. She graduated from Clarke College in 1947 with a bachelor of arts degree, and received her master;s degree in 1965 from the University of Northern Colorado. She was currently a member of St. Columbkille's Catholic Church.
Surviving are her husband, Melvin D. Birch; two daughters, Laura J. (Joe Rosco) Volk, of Webster, N.Y., and Beth (Lloyd) Walls, of Warren, Ill.; two sons, Melvin D. Jr. (Kathy) Birch, of Fairbanks, Alaska, and Dan R. (Sue) Birch, of Steamboat Springs, Colo.; eight grandchildren; four sisters-in-law, Kathy, Bette and Madonna Birch, all of Dubuque, and Eunice Grabow, of Tucson, Ariz.; and two cousins, Camilla (Don) Wells and Ann "Bette" Schroeder, both of Dubuque.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and a brother, Joseph Grabow.
A Mrs. Melvin D. (Mary Grabow) Birch Memorial Fund has been established by her family.

Dubuque Telegraph Herald newspaper April 21, 1998, Pg. 4B

Melvin D. "Mel" Birch

Posted: 7 Jul 2002 1:12AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Ross, Birch, Grabow, Volk, Young, Foster, Vuillequez
Telegraph Herald newspaper, Dubuque, Iowa
Wednesday, June 19, 2002 Page 6B, Column One

Melvin D. Birch Sr.

Mr. Melvin D. "Mel" Birch Sr., 75, of Ennoble Manor Care Center, 2000 Pasadena Drive, formerly a devoted resident of the Woodlands Apartments at 3460 Starlite Drive, died at 9:25 a.m. Monday, June 17, 2002, at the care center.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in Mueller Memorial Chapel at Linwood Cemetery. Burial will be in Linwood Cemetery. There will be no visitation. The Dennis Kitchen Funeral Home, 3860 Asbury Road, is in charge of arrangements.

He was born on March 4, 1927, in Dubuque, son of Melvin and Eva (Ross) Birch.

He married Mary Grabow on Oct. 2, 1948, at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Dubuque. In 1954, they moved to Denver, where they lived until returning to Dubuque in 1988.

He grew up in Dubuque and graduated from Dubuque Senior High School in 1946. He was a World War II Navy veteran. He was an industrial salesman for 12 years, retiring in 1992. Before that, he had worked for the Western Auto Co. in Des Moines and Omaha, Neb. After he retired, he greatly enjoyed working part-time at the Fenelon Place Fourth Street Elevator, where he was proud to tell people about Dubuque history. He also served as a volunteer at The Finley Hospital for a brief period.

Surviving are two daughters, Laura Volk (Dr. Joseph Roscoe), of Webster, N.Y., and Leah Ross (Stanley) Young, of Savanna, Ill.; two sons, Melvin (Kathryn) Birch, of North Pole, Alaska, and Daniel (Sue) Birch, of Steamboat Springs, Colo.; eight grandchildren, Dr. Gretchen Volk, Jennifer and Christopher Foster, Sarah, Kaisa, Katie, Emily and Connor Birch; two great-grandchildren, Corrina and Jack Vuillequez; and four sisters-in-law, Kathleen, Bette and Madonna Birch, all of Dubuque, and Eunice Grabow, of Tucson, Ariz.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to The Finley Hospital and Hospice of Dubuque.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Mary, on April 19, 1998.

Re: Melvin D. "Mel" Birch

Posted: 2 Apr 2008 6:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: birch, rummell, grabow
Mary and Mel Birch are my grandparents. I am the daughter of Melvin Dale Birch. Should anyone be seeking additional information about our/there family, please email me. Thank you.

Posted: 3 Apr 2008 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: Birch
My husband's grandmother Mae (Lightfoot) Birch was married to Cecil Birch. Cecil Birch was a half-brother to Melvin, that was married to Mary Grabow. Would love to exchange information with you. Email me at Durrturds@aol.com if you wish to do this.

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 11:35PM GMT
Hi Sarah, I received your email saying you had just read my inquire to you. I can't make your email address work so can't respond that way. I was wondering if your family had any information on Cecil Birch and where he went, why he changed his name to Swift (he and a brother), why he left his wife and two daughters, etc. Is he still alive and where, etc. ANY information on the whole line would be nice to add to my collection. I am willing to share what I have also. Mary Durr at Durrturds@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions