Search for content in message boards

Researching Franciscan Brothers in Brooklyn in Late 1800s

Researching Franciscan Brothers in Brooklyn in Late 1800s

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone
I have turned up a Franciscan Brother in the family tree, associated with St. Leonard's Academy in NY. St. Leonard's appears to have closed in the 1960s. I would like to learn more about "Brother Angelus." I only know that he is the nephew of my great-great-grandfather. Any tips for finding more detail on him?
Thanks,
Krista

Re: Researching Franciscan Brothers in Brooklyn in Late 1800s

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 12:46PM GMT
when wwas he born and what was his name when he was born ??

Hi everyone
I have turned up a Franciscan Brother in the family tree, associated with St. Leonard's Academy in NY. St. Leonard's appears to have closed in the 1960s. I would like to learn more about "Brother Angelus." I only know that he is the nephew of my great-great-grandfather. Any tips for finding more detail on him?
Thanks,
Krista

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Sadly, I have no other details other than his name as a Brother and that he is the nephew of my great-great grandfather, John McCarthy. At this stage, I do not know if John McCarthy had any brothers or sisters, so I suppose it's either McCarthy or...

I was hoping that the community of friars might be small enough that I could figure it out. Hmmm.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 2:27PM GMT
First you might do a bit of online research to find out the exact name of the order. There are various orders of Franciscans. You could also call the Diocese of Brooklyn and ask them what order taught at that school before closing. Contact the archivist's office.

Then find the order's headquarters. Most orders have some kind of archivist. Some answer right away, some not--like everyone else.

Explain that you want to include this relative who served God and the church as so often they are not included in family histories due to lack of detailed knowledge.

You might also do a first-name only search for "Angelus" on Ancestry for the relevant censuses. Most orders had only one person per name--unless they had a double name in religion, like Sister Miriam Regina, my great-aunt. Neither of those was her birth name. So your relative could be Brother Angelus Michael or whatever. Good luck.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 3:24PM GMT
Thanks for all the tips! Will get cracking on this. Many thanks.

Here's your man . . .

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 4:44PM GMT
Brooklyn Eagle
8 January 1933

McCARTHY
Suddenly on January 2, 1933 at New York City, Brother Angelus McCarthy, formerly of St. Francis College, Butler St., Brooklyn. Beloved brother of Mrs. Charles K. Lexow, Mrs. Rudolph Grant and John F. McCarthy. Funeral on January 5 at St. Francis College, Loretto, Pa.

http://www.camgenpa.com/db/cemetery/cemPhoto.php?cem=138&...

Re: Here's your man . . .

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 4:53PM GMT
Words cannot describe how much I love Ancestry.com at the moment!! Thank you so much!! This is so cool!
Krista

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 4:59PM GMT
You are most welcome. But since Ancestry had nothing to do with this, I would save my love for the many, many researchers who are willing to contribute their time and expertise.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 4:59PM GMT
YOu should be loving loving the Brroklyn Eagle and the person who sent you the data and the photo from the grave...........Ancestry.com had nothing to do with it

Words cannot describe how much I love Ancestry.com at the moment!! Thank you so much!! This is so cool!

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 6:19PM GMT
Krista,

Contact me off list. I may have additional information.

k ryanp at optonline.net (no spaces)

Kat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions