Search for content in message boards

William Russell, born in County Antrim 1846 / Elizabeth Taggart born County Tyrone 1857

William Russell, born in County Antrim 1846 / Elizabeth Taggart born County Tyrone 1857

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 3:44AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Russell,Taggaart.
Hello,I am trying to find where my great grandfather was born.He went to New Zealand after at least 1 trip to the California goldfields in 1876 on the "City of Dunedin". In 1879 he married my great grandmother Elizabeth Taggart(father James Taggart) - she was born in County Tyrone in 1857. They had 9 children in North Canterbury & around the North Otago area.The only places mentioned in any birth certificates were Staffordstown, Antrim & Dunnamaugh, Tyrone (Elizabeth).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: William Russell, born in County Antrim 1846 / Elizabeth Taggart born County Tyrone 1857

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 9:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Mar 2012 9:32AM GMT
There’s only 1 Staffordstown in Co Antrim. It’s a townland of 169 acres just west of Randalstown. There were no Russell households in Staffordstown by the 1901 census, nor listed in Griffiths Valuation for 1862 (though it did not show every household the way the census did). Do you know what denomination the family were?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cran...

Can’t see a townland of Dunnamaugh listed for Tyrone. Dunnamanagh perhaps?

Re: William Russell, born in County Antrim 1846 / Elizabeth Taggart born County Tyrone 1857

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 2:13AM GMT
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Denomination is Presbyterian. We know he was born in Co Antrim, are you able to search all Co Antrim or do you require more detailed information?

As for Elizabeth yes to Dunnamanagh.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 8:00AM GMT
Statutory registration of births didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so you won’t get a birth certificate for either William or Elizabeth. However you might find their baptisms, but to do that you need to know their denomination and where they attended church.

A Presbyterian living in Staffordstown would likely attend church in Randalstown. There are 3 Presbyterian churches there. The baptisms for the Old Pres Church start in 1853, marriages 1845; for the 1st Pres church I don’t know when their baptisms start, but marriages start in 1845 and for the 2nd Pres Church their baptisms start in 1850 and marriages in 1845. (The churches are all much older than that but evidently earlier records are lost). So you might not find William’s baptism, but you might find siblings or his parents’ marriage.

If Elizabeth was also Presbyterian then Donemana Presbyterian church baptisms start in 1856 and marriages 1845. So you might scrape in with her baptism.

None of those records are on-line. However they have been copied and can be seen in PRONI, Belfast.

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 1:05AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I guess the only way I can get any further is do a trip to Ireland. I am thinking of doing that next year.
The problem is that I don't know of any of my great grand parents siblings or families. Do you have any other suggestions that I might follow up?

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 9:27AM GMT
Staffordstown’s not big. As you will have seen from the census there were only about 11 households there then. The church baptism records usually show a person’s townland. So although you don’t know the names of any other Russells, any with Staffordstown as their address are almost certainly the same family. So worth checking the church records for that.

Also tradition was for a bride to marry in her church, so if they were still in the area, you would expect to see the daughters marrying in the same church 20-24 years after their baptisms. Or you might want to investigate any Russell marriages in the mid to late 1800s, registered in Antrim (civil registration district for Randalstown) on the offchance that they are your family. The couples townlands are normally listed on the marriage cert (as are their fathers and occupations). You can see the indexes free on the Emerald Ancestors site:

http://www.emeraldancestors.com/

Possibly worth checking the local graveyards for Russell graves. (Graves often have the family townland shown). Check Church of Ireland as well as Presbyterian as Presbyterians sometimes used COI graveyards.Not everyone could afford a gravestone of course.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Russell
My Great grandfather John Russell from Portlee,Antrim had a brother named William who went to New Zealand at that same time. He also had 2 other brothers James and Samuel and 4 sisters Martha, Nancy, Elizabeth, Sara Jane. All the children were born in Portlee. Their church was in Randalstown 1st presbyterian.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 3:00AM GMT
Hullo. For the first in a long time we may be starting to get somewhere with GGF William. Always dead ends because William Russell seems to be as common as John Smith(no offence).I had looked at your family somewhere on an Irish site but gave up. When did your GGF John leave Ireland or was it more recent? There are so many questions, if you would like my email, I can supply. Do you have a tree set up? Who would their parents have been? Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:06AM GMT
you can e-mail me at: bevamcclure@yahoo.com
My ggrandfather left Ireland in 1869. I live in Davis,Calif.
Where do you live? Please e-mail me with your info. and we can maybe make a connection.
Bev McClure
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions