Search for content in message boards

Smiths of Argentia

Smiths of Argentia

Stephanie (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2006 1:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Foley, Furlong, Bruce, Maher, Murphy, Kelly
Hi there,
I saw your posting on the rootsweb site. My great great great grandmother was Kate Smith Foley of Point Moll, Argentia. She was the daughter of Henry Smith and Jane Murphy. Can you tell me where you got info. that Henry Smith was married to a Dormody?
Thanks,
Stephanie

Re: Smiths of Argentia

R Billings (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 4:29AM GMT
Kate Smith's brother Henry married Jane Murphy. One of Kate's brother's also married a Foley. Do you have any info on Margaret Dormody?

Stephanie (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 5:34PM GMT
Kate Smith Foley was my great great great grandmother. She was the daughter of Jane Murphy and Henry Smith. Her sister Mary also married a Foley, brother of William Foley. My grandmother was born and raised in the same home as Kate Smith (her grandmother) and in fact cared for her until her death in 1930. My great Uncle is still alive and remembers his grandmother well, he was in fact named for her son Peter who drowned while fishing off New Bedford, Mass. I have never heard of any connection to Darmody. Where are you getting your information? I have done extensive work on the Smiths, Foley's and Furlongs, fortunately my grandmother left many notes on her family history, including the names of her great grandparents, great aunts and uncles, etc, so I was really lucky. I have always known Jane Murphy was Kate Smith's mother (also contained in my grandmothers notes). My grandmother was named Jane after her. I am happy to exchange information, perhaps we connect?
Stephanie

S Rose (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Argentia
At " www.redislandnf.com" there's a listing of parents and most children for Henery[sic] and Jane(Murphy) Smith in the Argentia baptism and marriage records.

R Billings (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2006 12:07AM GMT
Thank you s Rose are you related to these Smiths?

Bridget Barron Gardinier (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2006 3:32PM GMT
My mother's sister, Josephine O'Reilly, was married to Peter Foley who drowned off New Bedford Mass around 1953. Peter and Josephine had 5 children, all of whom are still alive.

Stephanie (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2006 5:23PM GMT
Hi Bridget,
There are two Peter Foley's, my great great Uncle who drowned in 1918, and the one you know, Peter Henry Foley (they were cousins). I would love to have more info on him and his family. My understanding is that he and his brother James married two O'Reilly sisters, Bridget and Josephine. For the children of James and Bridget I have James and Mildred, and for Peter and Josephine, I have, Zita, Peter, Bridget, Joseph, and Leo. Peter and James were the sons of James Foley and Mary Smith. Their father James was the son of Ellen Furlong and Thomas Foley of Point Moll. Mary Smith was the daughter of Henry Smith and Jane Murphy.

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 6:51PM GMT
Hi Stephanie, "yes" on all your info regarding James and Peter Foley, my 2 uncles. James' 2 children are dead, James Jr. as a baby, and Mildred in her 40s from cancer. Peter's 5 children are all alive, although Bridget is ill with a brain tumor. Zita is a nun, Peter lives on Nantucket as far as I know, Leo in Las Vegas, Peter on Cape Cod and Florida. I also remember that Peter and James had a brother named John. I remember seeing him in church as a young child. I have a cousin, also Bridget, who is one of Mildred's children. She is interested in genealogy and I will let her know about your interest too.

Ward Greene (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2006 6:52AM GMT
Surnames: BARRON, Greene
Hi Bridget Barron...I have a whole stack of Barrons in My Point Verde Greene family tree. Any chance we can swap information? In one way or another I seem to be related to all the Barrons between Bond'sPath/South East through Placentia and on to Dunville,Argentia,etc.Thanks.Ward.wardgreene@hotmail.com

Posted: 3 Dec 2006 10:31PM GMT
Hi Ward, My father was Herbert Barron, son of Thomas Barron and Bridget Maher. He was born in Dunville in 1905. Any relation? (Bridget Maher's mother was Elizabeth Smith from the Argentia area).

My mother, Monica O'Reilly, born in Argentia in 1905, was dear friends with Claire Greene, whom I believe was born in Point Verde. Claire had a sister named Mary.

Would love to compare any info you have!
Bridget
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions