Search for content in message boards

Cookson family in Maine

Cookson family in Maine

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cookson
I am looking for all descendants of Obadaiah and John Cookson who moved to Standish,Maine in the 1700's. I have a lot and am willing to share what I have with other researchers. Their father was John Cookson who married Rachel Proctor in 1704 in Boston,Mass. Where he came from as yet not known.

Re: Cookson family in Maine

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 11:59PM GMT
I am searching for parents of Edward S. Cookson, b.1816 , m.1841, Lovina Collis/Corliss, d. Aug 22, 1885, Plymouth, Maine. Both are buried in Sawyer Cemetary, Plymouth. Would love any help you could give.

Ruth Coker (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 4:01AM GMT
Surnames: Cookson, Proctor, Smith, Freeman, Gifford, Townsend, Drummond, Padgett, Poe, Roberts, Coker
Hi Alfred,

According to your World Connect site at rootsweb.com, I am a descendant of John and Rachel (Proctor) Cookson as follows:

John Cookson m. Rachel Proctor
Obadiah Cookson m2. Margaret Smith
John Cookson m. Margaret Freeman
Daniel Noyes Cookson m. Lucy Gifford
Lucy Ann Cookson m. William Townsend
William Calvin Townsend m. Sophia P. Drummond
Sarah S. Drummond m. Sanford Marion Padgett
Deo Austin Padgett m. Gladys A. Poe
Lois Vivian Padgett m. Paul Edwin Roberts
Ruth Ann Roberts m. Richard L. Coker

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2003 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Cookson,Philbrick,Hamilton,Kenney,Corson,Knight,Knights,Packard
Hi Ruth
I was pleased to hear from you. I am descending from Lucy s brother Gardner. If you would like to trade information or want more info just contact me. I need to update the site as I have more information now. I havn't looked at the site. Does it show references? This has been a good week for me as I have been in contact with another cousin and now you. Al

Ruth Coker (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2002 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: COOKSON, TOWNSEND, PROCTOR
Hi Al,

You are the first Cookson cousin I have met and I'm very glad to meet you.

And yes, your site does contain references. However, I added a post-em to correct the marriage date for William and Lucy (Cookson) Townsend.

I will be happy to trade and exchange information with you. What I got from your site was a goldmine for me and I am very appreciative. I would love to find more information on Rachel Proctor who married John Cookson. I am also looking for the parents of William Townsend who married Lucy Cookson.

Ruth

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2003 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Cookson,Philbrick,Hamilton,Kenney,Corson,Knight,Knights,Packard
Hi Ruth
I havn't checked the tree onthe site as yet guess I better do that.
I got the marriage for William and Lucy from the New England Families Genealogical and Memorial Title page pages 448-458 & 265. I think that is where but as I didn't put a reference Imay of got it from another researcher and havn't been able to verify it .
On Rachel Proctor I havn't found a thing. It seems like everyone researching the name are looking for younger ones and no one in Ma at that time period..I will look through my census for Hancock in Orland and see if I can come up with any Townsends. I remember the name as it made me remember a Marine Buddy but not sure what time period. i will email you direct if I can find anything . It doesn't look like anyone else is working on the Cookson lines up to Maine or Ma. at this time anyway.
Al

Posted: 7 Dec 2003 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Cookson
I'm also researching Cookson's in ME. Al, I think we've exchanged info in the past. I got to ME briefly last month and spent time in Pittsfield, tromping through the cemetery. I jotted down info on every Cookson I found. Not sure how they connect with each other but am trying to organize my stuff. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try to list what I found on a e-mail listing. A couple names I've heard of, I thought lived in Burnham so was surprised to see gravestones in Pittsfield.
Linda Wilson, MA

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 4:28PM GMT
Just wanted to pop in and say Hi, I am also a descendant of Gardner

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 8:11AM GMT
Correction on post I made back in 2002.

It should be:
Sarah S. Townsend (not Drummond) md. Sanford Marion Padgett. OOPS!

These are my g-grandparents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic