Search for content in message boards

SEXTON family from Wythe Co, Virginia, USA 19C

SEXTON family from Wythe Co, Virginia, USA 19C

DICK (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2000 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Sexton
I AM A DESCENDANT OF SEXTONS FROM WYTHE COUNTY. MY GRANDFATHER WAS JOE T. SEXTON, WIFE-CORA BELLE ANDREWS. I BELIEVE MY GGRANDFATHER WAS JAMES W. SEXTON, BUT I AM NOT POSITIVE ABOUT THAT. MY FATHER WAS KEMPER F. SEXTON. HE WAS BORN DEC 5,1910 IN ENNICE, N.C., AND WAS RAISED AROUND GALAX, VA. UNTIL GRANDFATHER JOE, (JOSEPH), MOVED HIS FAMILY TO THE OXFORD, PA. AREA ABOUT 1918-20. DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION THAT COULD HELP? THANKS

RE: SEXTON family from Wythe Co, Virginia, USA 19C

Everett (Buster) Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2000 9:17AM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:02PM GMT
Dick:
I'm not familiar with the Wythe County Sextons you mentioned, but I believe there might be a connection between your family and mine as I too am from Wythe County.
My Father was Evertt Mitchell Sexton, from Cripple Creek in the county, his father was Sidney Jackson Sexton (married to Dorcas Groseclose), his father was John Sexton,
son of James M. Sexton, son of Asa Sexton. I believe all were from Wythe Co., in the Cripple Creek vacinity. Do you know if any of your family came from there? If so,
it could be we may have a connection. Thanks for anything you may have.
Sincerely, Buster Sexton

RE: SEXTON family from Wythe Co, Virginia, USA 19C- now Grayson Co

DICK (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2000 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:03PM GMT
WHOOPS, I'M SORRY. THE SEXTON BRANCH I'M FROM IS GRAYSON COUNTY, VA. MY FATHER WAS BORN IN ENNICE, N.C.,JUST A MILE OR SO OVER THE N.C. STATE LINE. HIS YOUNGER BROTHER NOAH WAS BORN IN INDEPENDENCE, VA. GRANDDAD JOE MARRIED CORA ANDREWS MARCH 5, 1904, IN N.C. THEY LIVED IN GALAX,VA., OR CLOSE BY GALAX, UNTIL ABOUT 1918-20, THEN MOVED TO OXFORD, PA. MY GGRANDMOTHER, MARY ELLEN SHAW, BORN 1838, ORANGE COUNTY, N.C., DIED ABOUT 1880. MY GGRANDFATHER JAMES W. APPARENTLY REMARRIED. HE HAD ABOUT SEVEN CHILDREN BY MARY ELLEN, AND THE OLDEST, POLLY JANE, WAS ONLY ABOUT 14 WHEN HER MOTHER DIED. SHE MARRIED CHRISTOPHER BLAND AT THE AGE OF 16. I HAVEN'T FOUND MUCH INFORMATION FROM THAT POINT ON. MY YOUNGEST BROTHER GARY MET AN OLD INDIAN WOMAN, CHEROKEE, I THINK, IN THE EARLY 60'S WHO WAS A RELATIVE, POSSIBLY A GREAT AUNT, OF MY FATHER, BUT WE'RE NOT SURE. GARY WAS ONLY ABOUT SIX YRS. OLD AT THE TIME, AND UNDER-STANDABLY, DOESN'T REMEMBER MUCH ELSE. IT'S POSSIBLE THAT GRANDDAD JOE AND HIS YOUNGER BROTHER, NOAH, WERE RAISED BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN THEIR FATHER. I HAVE A LINEAGE, WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE ACCURATE. MY GRANDDAD JOE T. (JOSEPH),BORN 1878, HIS FATHER-JAMES W., BORN ABOUT 1847,(WIFE MARY ELLEN SHAW) HIS FATHER-HARDIN, BORN ABOUT 1825,(WIFE ROSAMOND, 1822) HIS FATHER-CHARLES, BORN ABOUT 1794, (WIFE RHODA B., 1797, VA). I WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK FURTHER THAN THAT BUT HAVE BEEN UNSUCESSFUL SO FAR. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND OUT WHERE MY GRANDFATHER JOE WAS, BETWEEN 1880,AGE 2, AND MARCH 5,1904, WHEN HE MARRIED MY GRANDMOTHER, CORA BELLE ANDREWS, IN N.C. THIS SEEMS TO BE A MYSTERY. I'LL JUST HAVE TO KEEP HUNTING UNTIL I COME UP WITH SOMETHING. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. DICK

wythe co. sexton

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 11:06PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:04PM GMT
check the taylor's of va.g-grandfather was thomas taylor of wythe co.married bettsey dales.grandfather george thomas taylor married margret jane sexton 1864 in va.her father was harvey sexton mother was cassandra renfroe.part cherokee indian.

Wythe County Sexton's

Bill Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2001 7:27PM GMT
Hi,My father is Shirley Mark Sexton son of Andrew J. Sexton who is the son of James Marshall Sexton, son of Asa Sexton. Andrew was married to Lillie Belle Scott and moved to Michigan about 1923. I would appreciate any information you can provide and I will share what I have with you. Thanks, Bill

Wythe County Sextons

Buster Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2001 5:26PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:04PM GMT
Bill:
As you know, James Marshall Sexton was the father of Andrew J. Sexton,
and was the son of Asa. I have info that states that he had 12 children:
Matthew, John Henry, William David, Mary C., George, Calvin, Andrew Jackson,
Eliza Caroline, James Beecher, Lucy, Gladys Mae, and Mitchell Walker Sexton.
I also have that Andrew was born Jan. 18, 1886 in Wythe Co., Va. and died on
Aug. 27, 1955 in Midland Michigan. That's all I have on Andrew at the moment.
However, John Henry Sexton is my great grandfather, who is the father of
my grandfather, Sidney Jackson Sexton. He had three sons, Everett Mitchell,
Charles Edgar, and Wade Sexton...one daughter, Dorcas Faye.
If this helps, please let me know. Sincerely, Buster Sexton

Wythe County Sextons

Bill Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2001 6:34PM GMT
Buster, Thanks for the quick response. I gained much new information. Please send me your email address so I can send you everything that I have. You can email me at WTSexton@aol.com. Andrew was married to Lillie Belle Scott. She died in July 1955 in Midland, Michigan. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bill

Wythe County Sextons

Buster Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2001 3:05PM GMT
Bill,
I'm glad I could help. Apparently, you and I are related.
My e-mail is banjo@cfw.com (banjo baceause I am a bluegrass
banjo picker).
You must know that there are lots of other Sextons in Wythe
County (where I was born). I've been trying to connect ours with
the others. I'm virtually positive that they are all part of a
single source, but I haven't made the connection yet.
Anyway, please get back to me. There may be more I can get dor you,
too. Your "cousin", or something! Buster

Wythe County Sextons

Bill Sexton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2001 3:15PM GMT
Hey "Cuz",
We are most definetly related without a doubt. Thanks for the email address and I will send you everything I have spent countless hours on putting together. What I have I conclude to be 99% correct. You be the judge and help me out if ya would.I would like to get the Sextons from Ireland document that you spoke of in a reply to some one else and any family tree info you have. My hope is to compile a good Sexton site and get it posted so we can find the rest of our long lost relatives. I will send you and email with what I know. Thanks for jumping in and helping me out.
Bill

Wythe co. Sexton

carol Sexton Blevins (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2001 1:48PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2009 5:05PM GMT
Saw your message on the familyhistory.com message board. My greatgrandfather was William Harvey Sexton from Wythe co,VA. and we are suppose to have some Renfroe relations according to family oral history. Could Harvey Sexton and Cassandra Renfoe also be the parents of my greatgrandfather. Can you give me any help. Thanks. Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions