Search for content in message boards

Baynes,Lee/Lea

Baynes,Lee/Lea

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 4:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Mar 2004 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Baynes, Lee, Lea, Street, Swift
I am looking for further information on my Lee/Lea line of family from Caswell County, NC. The information that I have from family records include that Sarah Tate Lee ( Lea) married John W. Baynes, Sept 10, 1845. Sarah was born June 20, 1826 and died Nov. 25, 1866 in Haywood Co., TN. Sarah was the daughter of John Lee, Born ? D. 1832 in Caswell Co., NC, he married Mary (Polly) Swift Mar 30, 1816. She was born July 11, 1795, D. Oct 21, 1867 in Caswell Co., NC.

I also have that John Lee's father was Henry Lee who married Mary Street. Any further information would be appreciated! I have further info on John and Sarah after they arrived in Haywood Co., TN.
Sincerely,
Shelly Baynes Langley

Re: Baynes,Lee/Lea

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 10:59PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2004 1:43AM GMT
Surnames: Swift, Street, Tate, Waddy, Lea, Tapscott
Hello Shelly,

I am not able to help you with the Lee/Lea family, but your Mary "Polly" Swift was Mary Street Swift, daughter of William Park Swift and his wife Sarah "Salley" Tate. I am very closely studying Sarah's mother as being Sarah Street, daughter of Hannah Waddy and John Street. I also have a strong hunch that your John Lea's mother was Mary Street, sister to Sarah Street Tate.

I am a descendant of Frances Tate Swift, also a daughter of William Park Swift and Sarah Tate. Frances Tate Swift married John Windsor Tapscott; one of their sons, Thomas Jefferson Tapscott married Elizabeth "Betty" Lea whom I believe to be connected to your Henry Lea's family.

Hannah Waddy was half-sister to Frances Waddy Swift, wife of William Swift, JR. William Swift and Frances Waddy were parents of William Park Swift.

As you can see, we have a lot to discuss.

Best regards,

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 7:33AM GMT
John,
Thank you so much for opening a new door to my research! This line of the family has been a total mystery to me. I look forward to corresponding with you about Sarah Tate Lee Baynes and her family! Do you have any family stories or legends that go along with the Lee and Tapscotts line?
Sincerely,
Shelly Baynes Langley

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 12:01PM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2004 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Tapscott, Baynes, Lea
Hello Shelly,

Another cousin of the Swifts sent me the following: How does this attach to your branch?

>>Thomas Baynes listed in the 1860 census that I sent you md Swannanoa Lea on 22 Oct 1873 in Haywood Co. Her father was Benjamin Lea, a brother to the Elizabeth Lea that md Thomas Jefferson Tapscott.<<

Best regards,

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 6:13PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2004 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: Baynes, Lee, Lea, Tapscott
Thomas F. Baynes who married Swannanoa Lea was a son John W. Baynes and Sarah Tate Lee/Lea. John and Sarah are my 4th Great Grandparents. John was educated and was a school teacher. He also owned slaves and a nice size farm.
When they got to Haywood Co., they bought 184 !/4 acres for the Sum of $400.00 on January18th, 1846.

I was looking at the census record I have a copy of and the Tapscott that I have listed is a Black Female age of 23 yrs old. Her name is Nancy Tapscott. I'm not sure why they would have listed her name and not the names of the other slaves? I'm sorry I was mistaken on the information I had given you before.. has been awhile since I looked at the records.
This is listed on page 54 of the Haywood County 1860 census records.

Sarah and John had 8 children in all.
Sincerely,
Shelly Baynes Langley

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 8:26PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2003 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Tapscott
Hello Shelly,

Perhaps the reason Nancy Tapscott was mentioned, was that she was considered a member of the family.

I have seen varying descriptions of this Nancy as being born blind, and being 65 years of age. I really need to see the Census records to be sure of what they really intended.

A record of a Nancy Tapscott exists in the 1850 Census for Caswell County with several others who seem to be her siblings, given the age range. That census does list her as age 54 and blind. I wonder if this were the same Nancy that you have seen. The abstract of the Census did not list the race for the Tapscotts given. (Another thing to check)

Best regards,

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Tapscott, Baynes
Thanks John! It seems as if we have a mystery to investigate on our hands! When I had looked at the census records before I could have sworn that this Nancy Tapscott was listed as an older person.. as you said in her 50's maybe, but when I looked on the copy of the Haywood County Census Records then it said 23 yrs , female and it mentions nothing of her being blind (there is a space to mark such a thing on the TN census) . Who was Nancy Tapscott and why was she living with the John W. Baynes family in 1860 in Haywood Co., Tn?

Perhaps Sarah felt obligated to care for this person?
Diggin up bones in Tn
Shelly B. Langley

Re: Nancy Tapscott mystery unravelling

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Baynes, Tapscott
AH! I may have solved part of the mystery of Nancy Tapscott. I may have copied part of the slave records which I gave you earlier.. perhaps Nancy named a slave girl after herself?

In the 1860 Haywood Co., Tn Census, Dist 15, page 195
the John W. Baynes household consists of the following:
John Baynes 54 M Farmer Value of RE $10,600 Place of birth NC
Sarah 30 F
Mary 14 F
William 13 M
Thomas 10 M
John 8 M
Sidney 5 M
Susan 3 F
Lilly 6/12 F
Nancy Tapscott 65 F Valued RE 8,500 Blind

I hand wrote something about a school for the Deaf, Dumb and blind but cant quite make out what it is.

Maybe I can email my friend at the library who can clear this up for us?
Diggin bones in TN
Shelly B. Langley

John Fox (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2006 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Tapscott, Baynes,Hill,
Hello Shelley,

I was looking back over our earlier conversations and found that blind Nancy Tapscott had received legacies from her father and from her brother, John Tapscott.

>>Received negro girl named ...rmesia in the will of her uncle John Tapscott of 17 September 1839.

Named in the will of her father, Henry. on 27 May 1832. Item I give and bequeath to my Daughter Nancey Tapscott one negro Girl by the name of Mary, one feather bed and furniture one black .......... to her and her heirs or assigns for ever_<<

This would account for her having a net value of $8500 in her listing with the Baynes family in the 1860 Census. It appears that she did possess at least two slaves which she received from her family.

The one thing which I don't believe that I mentioned about Nancy, was that she was a daughter of two Tapscotts. Her mother, Nancy, was a daughter of Henry Tapscott(son of Edney) and Winefred Hill; her father was another Henry Tapscott, son of James and Catherine Tapscott of Northumberland County, VA. Edney and James Tapscott were brothers.

Since slaves were often given the family name of their owners, it is quite possible that either the slave Mary from her father; or the slave Armesia from her uncle, could have had a child called Nancy Tapscott.

Perhaps this will help in some way with some of the mystery!

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC

Shelly Langley (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2006 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Baynes
Wow Thanks Mr. Fox for adding the info on Nancy Tapscott. I still have to wonder how she came to live with the Baynes family in Tennessee, and I have never known the Tapscott name to be a common one in Haywood County, TN. to be honest I have not had much time for research lately, but plan on getting back to it this winter.

One of these days I plan to come back to Caswell County when I have time to spend a few days. I would like to see if I can find out where the Baynes family lived, and check out Baynes Baptist Church and the cemetery.

Thanks again for posting.. I really had forgotten I had posted that query!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions