Search for content in message boards

Stone Families in Hinesburg, Vermont

Stone Families in Hinesburg, Vermont

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 5:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stone
In the 1810 Census records for Hinesburg, Chittenden, Vermont I found: Ebenezer Stone, Ebn'r Stone jr. and Joshua Stone.
In the 1820 Census only Ebenezer Stone Jr. (based on the ages) and Joshua Stone are found. Joshua's wife may have died between 1810 and 1820, as the oldest female is either an older daughter or a second, younger wife.
Does anyone have information on these families? The names suggest they are related to Stones that settled in York County, New Brunswick, Canada. Some Stones originally in New Brunswick apparently went elsewhere.

Re: Stone Families in Hinesburg, Vermont

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Burritt, Baldwin, Devine, Ellithorpe, Hanson, Brown
According to the book I have, "1861 History & Tales of Hinesburgh, Vermont" by Erastus Bostwick, pg. 12, states that in 1787 Ebenezer STONE from Washington, Conn. deeded land in Hinesburg to his son Ebenezer STONE, Jun. On pg. 17 it states that in 1788 a military company was formed in the town with Nathan Leavenworth the 1st Captain elected and a Daniel STONE as the 8th Captain elected [no time frame given]. Hope this will help you. Judy Burritt

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 10:35AM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
Sorry for jumping in on this message but I was wondering about the book, "1861 History & Tales of Hinesburgh Vermont", by Erastus Bostwick. Is it still available? I'm researching the Patrick Cassidy Family of Hinesburg and was wondering.
Thank you.
Sue
Suszy81553@aol.com

Tales of Hinesburgh

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 10:37AM GMT
Surnames: Babcock
Judy,
Does your book on Hinesburgh have anything on the Babcock family? I am searching for ancestors of Nathan Babcock, born in Hinesburgh in 1818.

Re: Families in Hinesburg, Vermont

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Bonner, Deyette
Judy: Civil War enlistment papers show that my great grandfather, Alfred Austin Bonner, was from Hinesburg. His first wife was Solina Deyette. I have looked for them both in early census records with no luck. Would you please see if either surname is found in the book about Hinesburg?
Sandy Williams

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Whitney
The Whitney Family of Connecticut by S. Whitney Phoenix (published 1878) can be accessed through Ancestry.com. It states: Martha Whitney, commonly called Patty, b. at Derby, Conn., 26 March 1792; married, 4 March 1808, at Hinesburgh, Vt., Jonathan Stone, a farmer,son of Ebenezer and Sarah (Curtis) Stone, of Hinesburgh, where he was born, 22 Feb 1783. They settled about two miles west of Hinesburgh Centre, near the west line of the town, next to Charlotte. He died, 25 May 1858, in Hinesburgh, of congestion of the heart, and was buried there. She lived with her son, Newton Whitney Stone, for .... (p. 340.) Sorry I didn't print p. 341
Thanks for your help. I am sure these Stones are some relation to the Stones in New Brunswick.

Re: Families in Hinesburg, Vermont

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: Bonner
Sandy, I looked in every book I have about Hinesburg and could find nothing on the BONNER name, other than he served in the Civil War from Hinesburg. Sorry that I could not help you. Judy

Re: Tales of Hinesburgh

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 3:24PM GMT
I looked in every book that I have on Hinesburg and could find nothing on the BABCOCK name in that town. Sorry that I could not be of help. Judy Burritt

Re: Tales of Hinesburgh

Posted: 6 Oct 2008 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2008 2:16PM GMT
I don't know about Nathan Babcock. I do know that my 5th g.grandfather lived in Hinesburg in 1810. Reynolds Babcock
b. 1770 in RI-m. Mary Potter d/o Robert Potter & Abigail Gardner. The census has 3 male children under 10 in 1800 but we have no record of who they were.The first known child was Ann Lydia b. 1801 in VT, then Amanda b. 1805 in VT, Ckark(e) b. 1805 in NY (not sure how that one happened),Marium b. 1807 probably NY, Joshua b. 1813 in VT, and my grandfather William b. 1815 in NY. There were other Babcock's in Grand Isle Co VT also but we have yet to tie them in. If your Nathan was b.1818, one of the 3 male children may have remained in Hinesburg. This family is frustrating because we can't gate any farther than Reynolds Babcock.
Brenda Gill

Posted: 18 Oct 2008 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stone
If Ebenezer Stone was from Washington CT, he is probably the son of Elisha Stone and Elizabeth?. Elisha was born 14 Oct 1709 in Guilford, New Haven, CT and d. before Dec 1760 in Woodbury, CT. Their children were Peleg Stone b. 1730, (married Mindwell Baker), ELizabeth Stone (married Lewis Munger), Ebenezer Stone, Ethan Stone, Patience Stone and Silence Stone. Ebenezer chose his brother Peleg to be his guardian after the death of their father. Peleg lived in Lenox, MA during the Rev War and moved to Arlington, VT after the war. Elizabeth Stone, widow of Elisha Stone is buried in West Arlington Cemetery, Arlington VT. She was born in 1706 and died in 1790.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions