Search for content in message boards

Rafael Fernandez, Asturias Spain

Rafael Fernandez, Asturias Spain

Regina Roig (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2002 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Roig, Romero, Fernandez, Hernandez
I am looking for information on my great grandfather Rafael Fernandez. He was from Asturias, in Spain. He moved to Cuba, where he married Carmen Cienfuegos and had my grandmother, Carmen Piedad Fernandez Cienfuegos in Santiago de las Vegas, Cuba, in 1893. So he had to have arrived in Cuba prior to 1892 or thereabouts.

Does anyone here have any suggstions for how I can track down my Fernandez roots back from Cuba into Spain?
Regina Roig

Re: Rafael Fernandez, Asturias Spain

Rafael Fernandez Juanola (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2002 11:49AM GMT
Hi there...guess we can talk in english, if not I can move to spanish.
Well, my name is Rafael Fernandez Juanola, my father's name is Rafael Fernandez Sanchez. He was born in Asturies. In a little town called Narganes. I will check with him about it, so it can be that we are, without knowing it, family. All I know is that his family and the family of his family was so big.

That was great to see your messages. I never took 5 minutes to check on that.

Talk soon (I guess)

Regina (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2002 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Roig, Romero, Fernandez, Hernandez, Mesa, Cienfuegos, Guillerme, Aycardo
Hi, nice to hear from you. Thank you for answering me.

I have since learned a little bit more about my ancestor, Rafael Fernandez Alvarez. He was my great grandfather. He was born in Asturias, but eventually he ended up in Cuba. He married my great grandmother, whose name was Carmen Cienfuegos Campos.

My grandmother (their daughter)'s name was Carmen Piedad Fernandez Cienfuegos. She was born in Cuba in 1883, so he has to have arrived in Cuba sometime prior to 1883.

There is a tradition in the family that he was in the Spanish military during the colonial phase of Cuba's history, but I have yet to confirm that.

Hopefully some of this fits with your history; if so, you would be the second branch of my family that I have found through genealogy :-)
Regina

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 4:32PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 2:42PM GMT
Estimado Sr. Fernández:

Cuanto me alegro de contactarlo a Ud. y que haya leído mi nota. Mi nota original es en español si la encuentra se dará cuenta. Mi bisabuelo Luciano Narganes Melgosa nació en Arconada,Palencia allá para el año 1848? El y dos hermanos se vinieron a las Antillas. Sus dos hermanos de los cuales creo que uno se llamó Ricardo se fueron a vivir a Cuba. Mi bisabuelo se casó en Puerto Rico y tuvo cinco hijos, uno de ellos mi abuelo. Cuando la querra hispanoamericana el regresó a España, a Madrid. Estoy tratando de localizar a mis parientes en Cuba y en España. Posiblemente estemos emparentados. A saber. Siempre me ha intrigado el pequeño poblado de Narganes en Asturias. Me gustaría compartir con Ud. más acerca de esto. Lamento no haber cotejado el listado en Cuba gen. donde Ud. dejo el mensaje. Pero ya ve, tarde pero seguro.

Por favor comuniquese con toda confianza. Su pariente

Yvonne Narganes

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Fernandez, Menendez. Garcia from Asturias, Spain
I am researching my husbands line and wondering if there might be a connection because his grandfather, Tomas Fernandez, was from Asturias, Spain and he also had some family who stayed in Cuba. Tomas was born in 1902. His father, Ulpiano Fernandez Menendez was born in Spain in 1878. He married Virginia Garcia. I'm not sure of their immigration timeline yet but they settled in Harrison County, WVirginia abt. 1905 to work in a big Chemical plant. Ulpiano's parents were Bernardo Fernandez and Cecilia Garcia, b. abt. 1860?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic