Search for content in message boards

Obit Request

Obit Request

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
How to obtain obitfor Catherine Thompson died Nov 28, 1928, buried Dec 1 1928. Lived at 1312 8th ave.
What newspapers would have this obit and best place to
to request obit?

Thank You

Re: Obit Request

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 1:44PM GMT
Try www.fultonhistory.com Put the name in quotes.

If you don't find the obit there try the

Brooklyn Public Library
10 Grand Army Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11238
718) 230-2100

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 5:21PM GMT
Thank You
How would I do the search for that web site by using the last name and by newspaper, to limit the hit.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:24PM GMT
From the site's FAQ (you might want to read all of it) . . .

Q. How can I just search one newspaper issue instead of the hundreds that are here? I'm getting way to many hits.

A. Solution - The newspaper titles are indexed. Just include the Newspapers Title in the search window along with what you are searching for (you must know how the Newspaper title was entered when I scanned it... look in the index to see the way it is displayed...).

Here is an example on how to search on one specific newspaper title( I will use Syracuse NY Post Standard in this example) for a range of dates (I will use 1904 through 1920) for a person named john Green and you not sure if he was using a middle initial........ First change to a Boolean search type then enter the following in the search box (ignore the quotes) “Syracuse NY Post Standard 1904~~1920 and john w/1 Green”
The words you have written is your instruction to the search engine to find only the newspapers that have the title Syracuse NY Post Standard and only the years 1904 (the ~~ [tilde symbol] means range of dates) through1920 and with the word john and within 1 character of the word Green ...
Boolean searching is very powerful but you must spend the time and learn how to use it. You will find a comprehensive guide for Boolean searches later in this section.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:24AM GMT
check out Fulton Postcards website.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 2:51AM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2013 2:52AM GMT
Could this be her?

It's from the 30 November 1928 edition of the Brooklyn Standard Union newspaper, Fulton History website:

"Katherine Thompson died yesterday at her home 1014? Greene Avenue. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Eulalie and Mrs. M. Raiser, a son George Edward Thompson, and a sister Mrs. Mamie McQuarrie. She was a member of the R.C. Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, on Putnam avenue, where a solemn mass of requiem will be celebrated to-morrow at 9:30 A.M. Interment will be at Calvary Cemetery under direction of E.A. Ireland, 956 Putnam avenue."

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2014/Brooklyn%20NY%20Stan...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions