Search for content in message boards

Where is "Lower Middleport" Cemetery?

Where is "Lower Middleport" Cemetery?

Posted: 11 May 2011 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have two death certificates of ancesters who were buried around 1915-1920 in "Lower Middleport". I know of the two Middleport Hill Cemeteries and the Pioneer Cemetery. Does anyone know of others in Middleport? Thanks for any information.

Re: Where is "Lower Middleport" Cemetery?

Posted: 11 May 2011 7:58PM GMT
There is a cemetery on Page Street across from Overbrook Nursing Home. I am not sure of the name. But I will check around.

Posted: 12 May 2011 1:10PM GMT
Hi Melissa,
The Cemetery across from Overbrook is the Pioneer Cemetery. I checked it a few weeks ago because it seems to be in lower Middleport.
Thanks for the information.

Posted: 12 May 2011 8:53PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2011 8:55PM GMT
I used to live in Middleport, still have family there. Plus my mother grow up there. I remember playing at my Aunt house across the street from that cemetery but never knew the name. Aunt lived next door to Overbrook. Now her son lives there. The only other two are Middleport Hill and Riverview. What are the names of your family that are buried at Lower Middleport Cemetery. The cemetery mite of changed names or they mite of removed it and reburied the love ones. Its been a long tie since I been back home down there. I know that town better than the one I live in now. Have you called or visit the Library in Middleport. Phone number is 7409925713 and there is a Meigs Co. Museum there 7409923810.

Posted: 17 May 2011 2:38AM GMT
Thanks again, I think I'll go to the Library and look in the Cemetery books, maybe I'll find a change of name. I do appreciate your help.

Posted: 17 May 2011 6:31PM GMT
When you do/ if you find outwhere this cemetery is will you let me know. I only know of 3 cemeteries in Middleport.Thanks

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: Gardner
My relative was buried at the lower end of Middleport where the old brick school house stood. This was during the flood of 1818.
From the Pioneer History of Meigs County it says that
The first school house was built about 1809 on
the ground now occupied by the lower graveyard
in Middleport.
There must have been a graveyard there somewhere, but I'm not sure of the location. If you find out where this was, please let me know

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 5:48PM GMT
There is a Cemetery in lower Middleport called "Pioneer". There are pictures and listing of stones..this may be what you're looking for. http://ohiogravestones.org/cemetery.php?cemID=315

This Cemetery is located in Middleport, near the Ohio River between a "do-it" center and Overbrook Rest Home. Hope this helps!

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 10:13PM GMT
The "Lower Middleport Cemetery" is better known as the Pioneer Cemetery or sometimes as Gravel Hill (not to be confused with Gravel Hill Cemetery down the road a few miles at Cheshire).

The Meigs County Pioneer and Historical Society (a.k.a. Meigs County Museum) has this cemetery copied and for sale.

If you need to contact me, do so at Roushhistorian@yahoo.com

Posted: 16 Dec 2011 2:28AM GMT
Thank you for the reply, I visited the Pioneer Cemetery in the spring and didn't find my ancester. She may not have a stone. Thank you for the info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions