Search for content in message boards

MAXWELL = (southern) IL & (western) KY / also AL

MAXWELL = (southern) IL & (western) KY / also AL

Posted: 11 Oct 2003 5:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2005 12:38PM GMT
Last generation of my MAXWELL (direct line) family resided in Southern Illinois & Western Kentucky counties bordering the Ohio River (near Paducah, KY). Seeking ancestors and descendants of James MAXWELL (b. 1816) and his children: Jesse G., William G. (3 ch); Robert L. (7 ch); Nancy (BRYANT); CanZada (EVITTS/ 7 ch); Sarah J. (COATS/6 ch).

We believe that James is the son of David & Mary MAXWELL of KY & AL, but not proven yet.

Re: MAXWELL = (southern) IL & (western) KY / also AL

Posted: 3 Feb 2006 6:34PM GMT
Hi Carol,

I am currently trying to help a friend who is researching her family line. Her line is that of Thomas B. Coats and his second wife, Mary S. They had a son, Charles F. Coats who married Ola Kitchings/Kitchens.

As I was researching the surnames I realized that Thomas must have been married twice. I thought Sarah may have died, but it seems by the message boards that she might have actually remarried?

I was just wondering if you could shed a little light on this. I will list all of the children that I am aware of, but not sure who is to which mother. If you could help with this, I would appreciate it. According to the census information in 1870 Thomas and Sarah are together, and then by 1880 it is Thomas and Mary.

Children of Thomas B. Coats and either Sarah J., or Mary S.

Mary M. b. abt 1859
Lucy I. b. abt 1860
Sarah A. b. abt 1866
Pauline V. b. abt 1868
Charles S. b. abt 1871
Amanda K. b. abt 1874
Ida b. abt 1875

******* Is this the break?*******

James J. b. abt 1880
Effie b. abt 1886
Harriet b. abt 1888
Bing H b. abt 1890
Alina/alicia b. abt 1891
Charles F. b. abt 1895 Kelly's line
Ina b. abt 1898

I would appreciate any help you could offer. If you have any questions please ask away!
I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Kelly

Posted: 29 May 2006 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL, COATS
Kelly,
Thank you so much for your posting. I think you are onto something that has not been looked at before.

I too believed Sarah Jane Maxwell was married to someone else named Joel "Josiah" Williams, but after looking at your research I think that Sarah was a different person. In the 1880 census, that Sarah is listed as "Sarah A", obviously not the Sarah Jane Maxwell that was married to Thomas B. Coats.

I had previously believed that Thomas B. Coats died in the early 1860s, but your findings erase that mistake.

I found a reference to (2) marriage records for Thomas B. Coats and Mary S. Taylor. They were dated, 11/8/1878 and 3/22/1879, both records are found in Pope Co., IL marriage records.
Given that, I believe the following children belong to Sarah Jane and Thomas: Mary, Lucy, Sarah, Pauline, Charles, Amanda, and Ida.
In the 1880 census of Hamilton Co., TN, Thomas and Mary have a child born in August 1879, named James. I assume this is theirs since they were married prior to his birth.
If you need any more information feel free to contact me at kkmaxwell@hotmail.com

Posted: 29 May 2006 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: MAXWELL, TAYLOR, COATS
Kelly,
Not to add more confusion, but I found Thomas B. Coats in the 1900 Census in Dist. 47, Egypt, Dade Co., GA married to another Mary S. This would be wife # 3. After Sarah J. was Mary S. Taylor, born abt. 1854 in TN, wife # 3, another Mary S. says she was born in September 1871 in TN. So where do the kids divide up????

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 1:50AM GMT
Kirsten,

Clark & I would like to email Betty Kay but because of my computer crash I have lost her email address. Would you let her know we would like to stay in touch with her. Please ask her to email me at lknaus@airmail.net

Thanks so much,
Linda

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: maxwell,trammel,linson,bennett
i to am searching info on the maxwell family in southern illinois. could you tell me who robert was married to and his childrens names. appreciate all info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions