Search for content in message boards

captain john smith

captain john smith

larissa rogers (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 1999 4:20PM GMT
i know that captain john smith is an uncle of mine (several greats) and am interested in finding anything about his siblings please let me know if you have any info on them. ylfrettub19@aol.com

Capt john smith

larissa rogers (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 10:15AM GMT
I have a john smith, b.abt 1698 in ireland
died 1776 in harrisonburg, va.
married a margaret schonhauffer 1719
in ireland. Could it be yours?
bob smith

Re: captain john smith

Elaine Wade (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2002 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
We have a William Smith in Ireland who owned and part owned several ships in 1663. It is just possible that some of his descendents remained involved with the ships, although the descendents that we know of owned a pottery works and were involved in the Irish linen industry.
William's two sons were David & John (called Jack). David was sovereign (mayor) of Belfast in 1698/99, was married but no known children. John(Jack) had 4 sons, Samuel, Patrick, Andrew & William and a daughter Dorothy.
Any possible connections?
Elaine, Brisbane Australia.

Re: Smith's in Northern Ireland

Kevin Smith (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2002 3:18PM GMT
Elaine
This is a way long shot, and mostly wishful thinking. I've read your Smith posts, and I know that William, John and Samuel are common names in my Smith line. Granted they are just plain common. But I am stuck at a William H. who shows up in the 1850 Missouri census as being 48 years old and born in Virginia. Wife Mary. Their children: Jonathan W., Samuel C. (married Araminta Suggett), Stephen F., Thomas W., James M., Peter H., Betsy M., Robert R., and Josephus.

I am wondering ifyou have found any more info about the children of your William from Belfast, esp. Jack's children?

Thanks so much for your time.
Kevin

Kevin Smith (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2002 4:34PM GMT
Elaine
This is a way long shot, and mostly wishful thinking. I've read your Smith posts, and I know that William, John and Samuel are common names in my Smith line. Granted they are just plain common. But I am stuck at a William H. who shows up in the 1850 Missouri census as being 48 years old and born in Virginia. Wife Mary. Their children: Jonathan W., Samuel C. (married Araminta Suggett), Stephen F., Thomas W., James M., Peter H., Betsy M., Robert R., and Josephus.

I am wondering ifyou have found any more info about the children of your William from Belfast, esp. Jack's children?

Thanks so much for your time.
Kevin

Christine (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2002 3:12PM GMT
Hi Elaine, and other interested Irish Smith researchers:
Did any of your Smiths migrate to the Co.Cavan area? My g-g-grandfather was John (Jack) Smith, born around 1840. His son, Patrick, was born 1869 and was my g-grandfather.

LOOKING FOR WILLIAM SMITH ANCESTRY CONNECTION FROM KENTUCKY, MARYLAND, PENNSLYVANIA, IRELAND

Debby Scott (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, FRENCH
I AM LOOKING FOR THE ANCESTRY OF WILLIAM SMITH, SR. BORN 1766 IN KENTUCKY [OR] MARYLAND. HE MARRIED SUSANNAH FRENCH BORN OCTOBER 14, 1766 ST MARY'S COUNTY, MARYLAND. THIS WILLIAM SMITH MIGRATED INTO DAVIESS COUNTY, INDIANA.

THE SMITH FAMILY WAS OF IRISH/CATHOLIC FAITH. MY FRENCH FAMILY; I HAVE BACK TO MARTIN FRENCH BORN ABOUT 1630 IN GALAWAY, IRELAND.

COULD THIS WILLIAM SMITH BE LINKED TO YOUR CAPTAIN JOHN SMITH?

ANY HELP, WITH THIS LINE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. YOU CAN VIEW MY SMITH AND FRENCH LINE AT MY FAMILY TREE LINK BELOW.

THANK YOU
DEBBY SCOTT
debby55@earthlink.net

MY FAMILY TREE:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=debbysco...

Re: LOOKING FOR WILLIAM SMITH ANCESTRY CONNECTION FROM KENTUCKY, MARYLAND, PENNSLYVANIA, IRELAND

Elaine Wade (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 11:11AM GMT
Regret unlikely there is any connection as our Smiths were very much involved in the Presbyterian community in Belfast in the period from 1640 to 1740 and beyond(when and where they developed various linen related interests).
No connections known to Galway. The problem of the Smith name!
Good luck, Elaine,
Brisbane, Australia

Elaine Wade (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 11:16AM GMT
Not aware of any connections to Cavan area although the given names, John and Patrick fit well. but then how many Patricks are their in Ireland with Smith as a surname??!!
Good luck from Elaine in Brisbane Australia.

Elaine Wade (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 11:24AM GMT
Hi Kevin,
Afraid we have found no more about our Jack's children except for developing our direct line in more recent years( 1820's on!). So your long shot has gone wild this time but keep at it as you never know what a small world the Internet has made it!
Good luck, from Elaine in Brisbane Aussie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions