Search for content in message boards

John Stambaugh and Jacob Stombaugh

John Stambaugh and Jacob Stombaugh

Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Stambaugh, Stombaugh, Stewart, Knadler, Bower, Stafford
I am trying to establish a connection between a John Stambaugh/Stombaugh and Jacob D. Stombaugh. Jacob is my ancestor and I believe that John is his older brother.

In Wisconsin land records there is a Jacob D. Stombaugh owning land in Pleasant Spring Township in 1849. The 1850 Census Index of Dane County, Pleasant Spring Twp shows him as "Jacob D. Strowbaugh" also listed (would be the same page, 343, of the actual census, if I had it) is a "John Strombaugh".

Jacob was born Nov 29 1822-1823 (in OH?), married Sarah Ann Stewart (?where) in 1842, and died Mar 9, 1884 in Shell City, Wadena Co., MN. They had 10 children.

Here is everything I think to be true about John, based entirely on on-line research...
John born c 1806-1810 Pennsylvania, married Catherine (?maiden name) in PA or OH and had 7 children:
1) ISAAC b. c1833 OH
2) JACOB b. c1835 OH
3) CATHERINE b. c1837 OH
4) ELI b. c1840 OH
5) GEORGE b. Jun 15, 1845 Seneca Co., OH d. Oct 1, 1927 Egan, Moody Co., SD m. Amelia KNADLER Aug 19, 1866 Hancock Co., IA. They had 5 children; Mary Alice, Irving, Joseph Aden, Lottie A., and Millie May.
6) MALINDA SOPHIA b.Aug 2, 1848 Sandusky?, OH d. Sep 24, 1928 Goodell, Hancock Co., IA m.Martin Vanburen BOWER Apr 12, 1865 is WI.
7) DANIEL b. c1849 OH

A wonderful lady in Dane County named Sandie provided me an obit. for Daniel which states that he was born Nov 11, 1849 in Foster, OH, a son of John Stombaugh, they later lived in Sandusky, Sauk Co., WI. Daniel married Nov 1868 to Martha Stafford, they had 9 children.

Other facts about Jacob; he was a member of the United Brethren Church. He was a blacksmith and ran a hotel after he came to MN. Wife, Sarah, died in 1877 and is buried in Orchard, IA.

Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated!

Re: John Stambaugh and Jacob Stombaugh

Tom Stombaugh (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2001 5:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stombaugh
I, too, am looking to find any connection with Jacob D Stombaugh. John Stombaugh, you speak about, is my ggg grandfather. I have about 20 names associated with Jacob, but can't figure out how, and if the 2 are related. Please e-mail me directly if you have found anything about this relationship.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic