Search for content in message boards

I am Electra Shulls Great Great Grand Daughter.

I am Electra Shulls Great Great Grand Daughter.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 5:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis Shull, Susanna Slade, Electra Shull / Dunham, Tina Isabelle Brocus, Clara Belle Dunham
I am new to this and seeking family information and photo's
Please feel free to contact me. I'd love to know all that anyone has!!

RULE ONE: Include who, what, when, & where.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 6:44PM GMT
When you request information, you should include as specifically as you can:

who, what, when, and where.

Census information can help.

White Co., IN, 1850, consecutive entries:
YORK, Wm., 31, OH; Nancy Jane, 29, KY
B. IN: Jeptha, 9; Malinda, 7; Henry, 2; John, 6 mo.
SHULL, Lewis, 35, VA; Ceventine [sic, Clementine], 33, OH; Wm. C., 15, OH
B. IN: Martha, 12; Margaret, 10; Harvey, 8; Jeptha, 6; Wesley, 4; Mahala, 1; Matilda, 1 mo.
YORK, Lurana, 56, GA; Lurania, 16, OH
SHULL, Jonathan, 35, OH; Patsey, 35, OH
B. IN: Lurana, 15; Jacob, 13; John, 11; Elizabeth, 9; Rebecah, 7; Lydia, 5; Abert, 3.

Ancestry.com FGS
Lewis SHULL (1793 - 1853) m. Mary M. P. HENSEL, b. 1794, & had
Lewis SHULL (10 Jan. 1813, Augusta, VA - 4 July 1853, White Co., IN) who m. 27 May 1834, Preble Co., OH, Clementine YORK (10 Jan. 1816, OH - 22 Mar. 1877) dau/o Jeptha YORK (1788 - 1846) & Susanna SLADE (1793 - 1882).

Ch.: Wm. Cornelius (1835, OH - 1901, IN)
Martha Jane (1838, IN - 31 Mar. 1916, Idaville, Adams, PA)
Margaret A. (1840, IN - _ )
Harvey J. (1841/2, IN - 20 July 1930, IN)
Jeptha Josiah (19 July 1843, Burnettsville, IN - 8 Je. 1931, Cass Co., IN, bu. Burnetts Creek, Burnettsville, IN)
John Wesley (24 Oct. 1845 - 1930)
Mahala C., b. 5 Oct. 1848
Matilda, b. Apr./May 1850
Belinda (1852 - 1924).
Another Wm. C. is listed as a child of Lewis & Clementine, but born 1915? Also a Sarah BROCKUS, b. 1843, IN, is listed. Can you identify her?

Jeptha YORK (14 Apr. 1788, Columbia Co., GA - 9 Feb. 1846, White Co., IN) m. 23 Mar. 1808, Hardin T., Preble, OH, Susanna SLADE (28 July 1793, Wilkes Co., GA - 10 Jan. 1882, White Co., IN) dau/o Nicholas SLADE [& Martha AMOS?]
Children, b. Preble Co., OH:
Belinda (1809 - 1865, IN) m. Henry ENOCH & Edward LUCY
Lydia (1811 - 1903, IN) m. Enoch Morgan PRIBBLE
Patsy (28 Jan. 1814 - Aug. 1906, IN) m. Jonathan SHULL & Wm. YOEMAN
Clementine (10 Jan. 1816 - 22 Mar. 1877, IN) m. Lewis SHULL
Wm. (10 Oct. 1817 - 1 Nov. 1896, IN) m. Nancy Jane BISHOP
John (31 Jan. 1821 - 9 Aug. 1895, White Co., IN) m. Sarah J. RYERSON
Rebecca (1823 - 1870)
Susanna (1834 - 1915).

Jeptha was son of Wm. YORK & Lydia BURSON. Jeptha is buried in Davis Cem., Burnettsville, Cass Co., IN, with a War of 1812 marker, Ohio Militia.

Google FindaGrave for more information on the Indiana burials. You can search by name of person or cemetery.

I was unable to find an Electra SHULL. Could she have been listed as Electa? Can you tell us how she connects to the above?

--not my Dunham line

Re: RULE ONE: Include who, what, when, & where.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: William York, Slade, Brockus, Lewis Shull, Dunham, Collins
Wow, You had a lot of information to share and it was all correct!! if you are not related...then how did you find all this so quickly? Just asking ; ) Because, I'm new at this and it has taken me a lot of diligent work to find what you shared so easily. LOL!

Yes, Electra IS the same as ELECTA!! I use Electra because that is what's written on her head stone and her Fathers (Jeptha Josiah Shull's) obituary.
She was married to Edward Marion Dunham. Together they had several children. one of those children was Clara Belle Dunham. Clara Belle was my Great Grandmother.

Thank you for all the information!! Are you certain that you belong to a different Dunham family in Indiana? And that We have no relatives in common?

Sincerely, Laura

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 5:25AM GMT
Electra A. Dunham
Memorial
Photos
Flowers
Edit
Learn about upgrading this memorial...
Birth:  1869
Death:  1941

Family links: 
 Spouse:
  Edward M. Dunham (1864 - 1942)

Burial:
Davis Cemetery 
Burnettsville (White County)
Cass County
Indiana, USA

Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]

Created by: Deb Minniear Rush
Record added: Aug 10, 2005 
Find A Grave Memorial# 11512693

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 5:29AM GMT
Jeptha Josiah Shull
Memorial
Photos
Flowers
Edit
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Birth:  Jul. 14, 1843
White County
Indiana, USA
Death:  Jun. 8, 1931
Logansport
Cass County
Indiana, USA

Civil War Co E 46th Ind Inf

Machine Crashes Off Road
Jeptha J. Shull, 87, of Burnettsville, Sustains Mortal injuries and Daughter Is Seriously Injured.
BULLETIN--At 3 o'clock this afternoon, it was reported at the Cass county hospital that the condition of Mrs. E. M. Dunham, accident victim, was very critical.
When an automobile plunged over an Embankment east of Pipe Creek Falls at 10:40 o'clock this morning Jeptha J. Shull. 87, Civil war veterans, of Burnettsville, suffered injuries that proved fatal two hours later, his daughter, Mrs. E. M. Dunham, this city, was seriously injured and three other persons escaped with minor hurts.
Thrown from Car.
The car operated by E. M. Dunham, 3317 Canty street, turned over five times in its flight down the embankment to the creek one hundred feet below. Mr. Skull, who occupied the seat next to the driver, was thrown from the machine at a point twenty feet from where the car stopped. Mr. Dunham, his wife, and two sisters-in-law, Myrtle Shull of Burnettsville, and Mrs. Laura Shull, 515 West Melbourne avenue, remained in the car. As the car turned over the front door opposite the driver was crushed open and the elderly man was thrown from his seat. The fall caused the fracture of the leg and injuries to his head. Indications are that he sustained a fracture of the skull. The car was demolished.
The Civil war veteran sustained a fracture of the right leg above the knee, deep scalp lacerations and injuries to the chest He passed away at 1:07 o'clock this afternoon at the Cass county hospital. Mrs. Dunham is a patient at the
same hospiltal, suffering with injuries to her back, deep laceration on her right cheek and other hurts
On Way Home.
Early Saturday the Dunhams and Shulls went to Saratoga, Indiana to visit a son, Jerry, of Mr. Shull. At 7:30 o'clock this morning they started the return trip. The accident happened at a dangerous S turn on the old route of state road No. 24 one and one-half miles east of Pipe Creek Falls. Motorists summoned the Chase ambulance and Sheriff William Zerbe who with Charles R. Kahler, deputy, answered the call. The injured were rushed to the hospital.
Mr. Shull was a life long resident of Burnettsville. He served four years as a member of Company E, Indiana regiment, the last three of which he was a lifer. He took part in many political campaigns in White county as a musician until recent years. Surviving him are two daughters, Mrs. Dunham and Miss Myrtle Shull, and six sons, Jerry, William, Edward, Robert, Frank and Oscar. The body was prepared for burial at the Chase mortuary and was to be taken to the home in Burnettsville late today.
Monday, June 8, 1931 - Pharos-Tribune

Family links: 
 Parents:
  Lewis Shull (1814 - 1853)
  Clementine York Shull (1816 - 1877)

Spouse:
  Isabelle Tina Brocus Shull (1850 - 1923)*

Children:
  Frank Dennis Shull (1872 - 1958)*
  Thomas Leonard Shull (1873 - 1920)*
  Jerry W. Shull (1884 - 1943)*
  William Edward Shull (1887 - 1947)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Burnetts Creek Cemetery 
Burnettsville
White County
Indiana, USA

Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]

Created by: Deb Minniear Rush
Record added: Jan 13, 2010 
Find A Grave Memorial# 46628769

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:55PM GMT
There are two major lines of the Dunham family in America. One descends from Deacon John Dunham of Plymouth Colony and the other is actually a Singletary family. Ancestry.com has Edward & family as descendants of Jonathan SINGLETARY (1639 - 1706, Woodbridge, Middlesex, NJ).

Edward Marion DUNHAM (Sep. 1864, Logansport, Cass, IN - 12 Apr. 1942, Logansport, bu. Davis Cem.) m. 7 Oct. 1886, White Co., IN, Electra Arvilla SHULL (24 Jan. 1869, Burnettsville, White, IN - 18 Oct. 1941, Cass Co., IN).

The line as listed on Ancestry is
Edward M.
John Wesley DUNHAM (1832 - 1902) & Sarah E. BURN[E]S (1844 - 1932).
David DUNHAM (1762 - 1840) & Hannah BRUM[M]AGE (1783 - 1844)
Elisha DUNHAM (ca. 1730 - 1783) m. 20 Je. 1752, Woodbridge, NJ, Elizabeth FREEMAN
Joseph DUNHAM (1700 - 1771)
David DUNHAM (1673 - 1753).
Jonathan SINGLETARY alias DUNHAM.

Some descendants of David, b. 1673, went to Canada as Loyalists during the Revolution, per Kenneth Royal DUNHAM's Dunham-Singletary Genealogy, 1987.

If you Google names this way: "Elisha Dunham" +"Elizabeth Freeman," Google will provide information on most of the couples in the lineage.

I have not verified the above line. I descend from the Deacon John Dunham line through John, son of his first wife, and a third John. I also have a Freeman line with five Edmunds in five generations in a row, but they were from Pulborough, Sussex (later of Sandwich, MA), and online sources say your Elizabeth's line came from Cambridge and London.

You can find information on RootsWeb Family Trees / Advanced Search. If you have a living male relative with the surname Dunham, you could verify this with a Y-DNA test. There is also an autosomal DNA test that anyone can take to find relatives who have also taken the test .

Google FamilyTree DNA and 23andme for more information on the tests.

Re: SINGLETARY

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 11:11PM GMT
Thank YOU!!
Have you done a DNA test? And do they REALLY work on ANCESTERY.com?

Re: SINGLETARY

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 11:24PM GMT
Yes, my brother did the Y-DNA & mitochondrial tests, & my husband, one daughter, and I have had the autosomal DNA test. Two of the major testing companies are FamilyTreeDNA & 23 & Me (referring to 23 pairs of human chromosomes).

"Do they really work?" is another question. If you refer to Y-DNA, the person to be tested has to be a male with the correct surname. There are family projects, and comparing others from the same family can prove whether your line is really from DUNHAM aka SINGLETARY.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions