Search for content in message boards

John Nugent Ireland to Canada

John Nugent Ireland to Canada

Posted: 25 May 2007 6:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowling, Gorman,O'Gorman, Nugent
Dear List,
I'm trying to track down John Nugent from Ballinacurra, Rathgormack, Waterford, Ireland who emigrated to Canada circa 1870 to work for his uncle (his mothers brother), surname Gorman. John Nugent was born circa 1848 and died circa 1871 within 12 months of his arrival in Canada. We have no record of how he travelled to Canada or where he arrived in Canada. Is anyone able to advise me on where I might start looking for a death or immigration records for John. Johns sister Ellen, my great grandmother emmigrated to Australia with her sister Mary. She later moved to New Zealand where she worked in service to bring her sisters and brothers out under an immigration scheme in the late 1870's. In 1882 she returned to Australia where she married my Grandfahter Michael Dowling.
Regards
Peter Dowling

Re: John Nugent Ireland to Canada

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 2:04AM GMT
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/canada/ has a complete list of where to find passenger lists to Canada

Without knowing what province he settled in, there is no way to advise you re death records. Every province is different.

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Nugent
Thanks, Lorine I was beginning to think no one was looking at this list anymore.

Regards
Peter Dowling

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 1:17PM GMT
Hi Peter

I suspect you had no replies because your query was so vague. For example you still haven't told us where in Canada.... :-)

It's always a good idea to be very exact - give details. Remember, asking about someone "in Canada" is like asking for someone "in USA". You have to provide locations, the more precise the better.

See "Good Query, Bad Query " at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/good-query.shtml

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 10:16PM GMT
Hi Lorine,
Thank you again for your reply. Unfortunately what I wrote in the original posting was as much as we know about John Nugent. Other than that he was sent to his O'Gorman (Gorman) uncle in Canada circa 1870, we have no clues to the ship, when exactly or where in Canada. I was hoping that perhaps some of the descendants of the O'Gormans (Gormans) who he was going to in Canada would be researching thier forebears on the internet and pick up on the Nugent / O'Gorman connection. I'm hopeful that may still happen at some time in the future. I have in the past posted similar queries to the O'Gorman, Nugent and Waterford Ireland message bords and although I haven't located 'John'we have solved other similar problems with missing family members who we knew little about. Again thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my posting and for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Regards from Melbourne Australia
Peter Dowling

Posted: 19 Feb 2008 2:04AM GMT
Peter
Have you ever thought of taking a 2week free trial for ancestry.com but you must remember to cancel before the trial is up so that they dont charge you.
I did this and found my uncle in 5mins.
Like you I only had a name and that he drowned...no year...no age..no area... nothing.. only a family story which my grandmother took to the grave with her.
Finding the death record gave me the area, a post on the appropriate board lead to a newspaper story about the drowning and come Spring am hopeful of a grave photo.
Granted my events were a bit more recent(1920's)but you never know.
No guarantees that you will be so lucky but its worth a try.
Good luck with your search...Sheila

Posted: 19 Feb 2008 9:29PM GMT
Hi Sheila,
Thank you very much for your reply. I actually had a 3 month subscription to Ancestry about 12 months a go. I found quite a lot of info through the subscription for our family's in Ireland, but nothing about John Nugent in Canada. He may just have to remain one of those lost souls we all have on our trees. That's not to say I've given up looking for him as new sources and resources are constantly being made available he may yet turn up.

Good luck with your own research and again thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
Peter Dowling

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Gorman, Murphy, Nugent
Hi Peter,

This a most likely a long shot, but do you know the first name of John Nugent's uncle? I am researching Patrick Gorman who was born in @1790 in Ireland. He was married to Catherine Murphy. This family lived in Quebec and their daughter Margaret was born in 1821 in Quebec. Do you happen to know where in Ireland the Gorman family came from?

I will see what I can find for him, John Nugent, on Ancestry.

Regards, Liz Yarmouth Maine

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 10:29PM GMT
Hi Liz,
Thank you for replying to my query. In response to your questions, I can only confidnetly tell you this, the Nugents and O'Gormans "seem" to have mostly lived in or around Ballinacurra also spelt Ballynacurra, Waterford Ireland at the time John Nugent went to Canada. Some of Johns sibbling later lived in Caherlesk Kilkenny, Ireland, which we think may have been where their O'Gorman grandmother originally came from. I apologise for this all being so vague, unfortunately it's as much as we've been able to gleen from surviving family correspondence for this branch of the family.
Best wishes
Peter Dowling

Posted: 19 Mar 2011 6:37PM GMT
Peter-

I hope you are still watching these boards. My wife is a Nugent of a (the?) Nugent family in Ballinacura, Rathgormack, Waterford.

Her great grandfather was Patrick J Nugent, born 1872 in Ballinacura and died 1913 in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Patrick was the son of a John Nugent and Mary Joy Regan. Patrick has several siblings. A descendant of one of them still owns and runs the farm in Ballinacura. We visited them in 2007 - very nice folks!

It would be interesting to determine the connection between our Nugent family members.

Kind regards-
Matt Turner
Chicago, IL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic