Search for content in message boards

Grochow

Grochow

Posted: 1 May 2005 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Am looking for info on August John Carl Gruchow. Came to U.S. in 1891 born in Martz, Shrefbisen Germany in 1856. also lived in Stargo, Irbis, Germany. Wife's name was Bertha Mina Vose b. 1864. Father Carl, Mother Fredrick had 4 bothers & 2 sisters. Bertha had 3 sisters. Any info would be appriated.

Re: Grochow

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2005 4:09AM GMT
Where exactly did you get those strange place names from? Not a single one of those towns you name exists!

Robert

Posted: 3 May 2005 10:34PM GMT
From Declarations of intent papers

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 1:10AM GMT
Well, this of course explains it. Declaration of Intent papers were of course made out by a U.S. immigration official who apparently didn't speak a word of German and thus really murdered the German place names. As I said before, not one of the places named exists. I couldn't even begin to figure out what those towns might actually be, they're so mangled. You'll have to try to come up with some other records where the places are correctly written. These are the kinds of problems that are unfortunately encountered in German genealogical research.

Robert

Posted: 13 May 2005 2:21AM GMT
Robert, do you know of any old maps of Germany that would list towns? I have some ideas where they might have come from.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions