Search for content in message boards

Gravestones vs National probate records.

Gravestones vs National probate records.

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 4:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
The death date is different on them.
Which would be more accurate?
It's only like 2 days but I'm picky like that =P

Rob

Re: Gravestones vs National probate records.

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 5:32PM GMT
Hi Rob,

I would guess that the probate records are more accurate because I'd like to hope that they'd be based on official records, such as the death certificate. The gravestone would be engraved from the information given by the relatives. However, both the death certificate and the relatives' information may have been handwritten and therefore subject to human error when read by others.

In short, probably neither can be absolutely relied on - probably best to get the death certificate.

Christine

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 5:49PM GMT
And the death cert. should be taken with a grain of salt because they have been known to be inaccurate.

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 8:45AM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2011 8:46AM GMT
I have had that problem too but I was there. The death cert had the date off by almost a week.

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 5:53PM GMT
In addition to getting the death cert, check with the office of the cemetery for any detail they may have - usually date of death and burial. Another source for the death date would the church where the funeral was held, if you can determine that. The cemetery may have that info also. One more source would be an obit, if one was published. The more evidence that you can gather about the date of death, the better for making a conclusion.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:45PM GMT
Always remember that when a person who dies, the family is usually very upset. We all make mistakes when a loved one passes on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions